Author Topic: BLAND Edwin John in Birmingham 1796  (Read 1790 times)

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BLAND Edwin John in Birmingham 1796
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 July 18 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin again.

Sorry clearly a little thick despite the wonderful sunshine here.
otp = of the same parish?

I have now updated again but with a couple of queries see the end.

Have you ever been to this part of the world Colin - where do you live?

Many thanks Bronwen Otautahi/Christchurch Aotearoa/NZ

Mary Parker wife of Thomas Bland mother of Edwin John Bland
b.1766 Dec 26 St Philips of the parish of Exhall, Warks  ?
m.1788 Oct 1 Thomas Bland, Birmingham, Eng. They were both of the parish, witnesses were William Garner & Sarah Bell (all four signed)
d.1837 June 18 St Martin, Birmingham, Eng. (74) widow, Weaman street
Children 5
1791 June 16 William Henry Bland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng. m.Elizabeth Cooksey by banns 1824 June 21 Yardley, St Edburgha, both otp. Witnesses John (brother) & Elizabeth Bland.  William was a witness to Joseph Betteridge who married the same day. William Henry buried 1846 Feb 11 St Philps. Abode Small Heath parish of Aston.  William & Elizabeth children baptised together on 23 Oct 1829 at St Philips. Mary Ann 1821, John 1826, Charles 1828, Matilda 1829.  William was a Button Burnisher of Little Charles St.  Robert was born & baptised in 1832, abode Small Heath parish of Aston. William now a Victualler.
1793 May 10 James Bland, St Philips, Birmingham, Eng.  death 1838 Jan 19 aged 44 St Martin, abode Weaman St. lived with his mother who died the year before?
1796 Apr 25 Edwin John Bland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng.
1798 May 28-1872 Mar 28 John Bland, St Philips, Birmingham, Eng. John Bland was buried age 72 Aston, St Peter and St Paul, 28 Mar 1872, abode Weaman St. 
1800 May 26 Theodore Bland, St Martin, Birmingham, Eng. m.Elizabeth Hancock 1822 Jul 14 Harborne, St Peter, both otp. child Elizabeth Gregory Bland was born 1823 b1824 Dec 29 Dec St. Philip, abode Edmund St. father a Brass Founder  Theadore Bland 1855 Sep 4 buried St Bartholomew, Abode Cecil St

Robert was born & baptised in 1832
Where does he fit in - he is one of William Henry and Elizabeth's children?

He was baptised the day of his marriage?
On the same day in 1824 a William Henry Bland was also baptised, next entry to above he was born 30 Dec 1818 William Henry Bland & Elizabeth abode Bordesley St.

The right occupation – marriage/relationship prior to his with Elizabeth altho he stated he was single?
William Henry Bland born 30 Dec 1818 baptised 12 Apr 1819 St Philip parents William Henry Bland, a Button Burnisher & Ann, abode Aston St.

Campbell, McKenzie, Ross, MacKay, Munro, Sutherland all of Ross & Comarty
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs
Erskine, Fletcher of Edinburgh

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 July 18 11:20 BST (UK) »

Hi Bronwen,

When Mary Parker died in 1837 she was 74 (1763) that would make her about 25 when she married, sadly her age is not on the marriage record, it may be on the Banns notice if you can find it, either way we know these records are not always accurate.
Sadly it is not known where Mary was born, when she married Thomas at St Martins, Birmingham in 1788, they were both living in the parish.

As you know there were 3 possible baptisms for Mary Parker in Birmingham 1760-1770

4 February 1764 John and Mary – sadly no marriage but very possible
5 October 1765 Michael and Mary – no marriage record but unlikely
26 December 1766 William and Elizabeth – see below

Mary Parker baptised St Martin 26 December 1766 William and Elizabeth - St Philips
William of the parish of Exhall, Warks married Elizabeth Harrison (OF THIS PARISH) in Kings Norton in 1760
Mary only daughter in Birmingham + maybe Elizabeth baptised St Philip 1765

Children baptised Exhall, Warks to a William & Elizabeth.
Thomas in.  1768, Sarah 1771 & John 1773.

A William Parker is on the Jurors List at Exhall 1773 – 1782, later entries note him as a Yeoman. (a man holding and cultivating a small landed estate; a freeholder.)

So did Mary return to Birmingham to marry or is she one of the dozen who married in Warwickshire?

Or were her parents John & Mary?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 July 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
The Bland's

Robert was born & baptised in 1832
Where does he fit in - he is one of William Henry and Elizabeth's children?

He was the son William Henry Bland (1791) & Elizabeth Cooksey, he was born after his siblings were baptised together in 1829

I do not quite understand this but the records are clear

On 29 Dec 1824 a William Henry Bland was baptised, he was born 30 Dec 1818
William Henry Bland, a Button Burnisher & Elizabeth abode Bordesley St.

Another entry for a William Henry Bland born 30 Dec 1818 baptised 12 Apr 1819 St Philip parents William Henry Bland, a Button Burnisher & Ann, abode Aston St.

The only marriage for William Bland to Ann Fullwood was in 1798, so clearly cannot be the one who married Elizabeth on 24 June 1824, the one above is the only child for a William & Ann.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 20 July 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of this Colin. 

Is it likely to tell me anything more I don't know if I order one of the birth certs Mary Parker - starting with the mostly likely - taking a stab at it?

I have never understood how there can be two entries although I have seen this sort of thing before.

On 29 Dec 1824 a William Henry Bland was baptised, he was born 30 Dec 1818
William Henry Bland, a Button Burnisher & Elizabeth abode Bordesley St.

Another entry for a William Henry Bland born 30 Dec 1818 baptised 12 Apr 1819 St Philip parents William Henry Bland, a Button Burnisher & Ann, abode Aston St.

Regards and many thanks again
Bronwen
Barry, Gibson, Watson, Summers, Edmonstone, Brock, McCartney all of Glasgow and environs

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 July 18 08:06 BST (UK) »
You will not be able to order a birth certificate for anyone born in the 1700s as Civil Registration did not start until 1837.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 20 July 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Bronwen

Birth records in Birmingham & Warwickshire, which are on An…ty, prior to 1813 only record the name of the child, the parents and the baptism date, as was the case with Mary Parker. Some parishes may add a little extra such as the father’s occupation.

Records in Birmingham & Warwickshire after 1813 record all of the above including fathers occupation and their abode it might also give a birth date.

I think you might have difficulty resolving the parents of Mary Parker, it looks certain that one of them married Thomas Bland, however there were six Mary Parker marriages between 1780 & 1790 in the Birmingham area and as I mentioned another six in Warwickshire.

As I mentioned there was another William Henry Bland who married Ann and the occupation was common at the time, its possible the two were related and it was an incredible coincidence, you never know.

William Henry Bland   30 Dec 1818    29 Dec 1824   William Henry,Elizabeth
William Henry Bland   30 Dec 1818   12 Apr 1819   William Henry,Ann

Regards

Colin
Born Birmingham, Lives in Scotland has never been to NZ.

Offline BronwenS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 20 July 18 22:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Colin I don't want to buy certificates when they won't give me any leads.

best wishes
Bronwen, Christchurch, NZ

Offline Bernard Bland

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 October 20 04:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I don't know when this post was entered but you are referring to  my great x4 grandfather  when taking about William Henry Bland (snr) and his son William Henry Bland (jnr). W. H. Bland (jnr married Mary Harvey and their son James Came out to New Zealand. I would be interested to find out what information you have and would like to share the information that I have.
Bernie Bland
New Plymouth