Author Topic: Northumberland & County Durham migration in the 1700's  (Read 2758 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Northumberland & County Durham migration in the 1700's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 February 23 06:20 GMT (UK) »
I see you have taken up the trail again Scott after a few years.

If you post parts of the will from 1648 that you can't read, there will probably be somebody who can help you.

Post them on this board
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Finding my roots honors my family and is rewarding
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 February 23 14:56 GMT (UK) »
I see you have taken up the trail again Scott after a few years.

If you post parts of the will from 1648 that you can't read, there will probably be somebody who can help you.

Post them on this board
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/

Thank you for everything!  I apologize for not reading carefully your earlier posts: I agree that the 1648 will is a "red herring" in that there apparently aren't any Dixon children named, therefor unlikely this is my direct John Dixon ancestor.  To summarize and adding some info for anyone reading this: My ancestors 100% verified back to William Dixon of Shotleyfield (1720-1769) "son of Jno. Dixon," per document naming ancestors, from Shotley. John Dixon will 1750 in Durham archives names wife Isabel son William my ancestor and other 3 sons including Joseph "of Stanhope," their baptisms all confirmed in Bywell and Shotley registers, in the years following 1705 marriage of John Dixon "of Newlands" to Isabel Philipson 1705 at Bywell St. Peter, the EARLIEST written record I have for Dixon family. There are several Philipsons in Whittonstall chapel registers, btw. Also there are lots of Dixons in Stanhope, but maybe the brother Joseph Dixon just moved there randomly?  Newlands farm is very close to Shotleyfield, and was on the very edge of Bywell parish at the time. Newlands was owned by James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater, a major actor in the Jacobean uprising. He was beheaded on 24 Feb 1716 on Tower Hill in London. Interestingly, John Dixon "of Newlands" moved from Newlands to Shotleyfield around 1715. Perhaps things were getting a little too dangerous to stay at Newlands!  I don't have any other clues to get back earlier than this. Search of Manoral documents for Newlands doesn't yield any records other than back in the 1500's, probably too early to include any of my Dixon ancestors.
Dixon family from Northumberland and Durham, then Staffordshire and Shropshire, then Liverpool, then Illinois, USA. Maiden surnames of those married into my direct Dixon family line over in England include Philipson, Marshall, Westgarth, and Keeling.

Frohock family from Cambridgeshire, then USA (PA, NC, TN, KY, then IL).

Horat family from canton Schwyz, Switzerland, then Illinois, USA

Fearno/Fernow/Ferneau family from Germany, then USA (NY, WV, IL).

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 01 July 23 14:03 BST (UK) »
Did you have any family from Dipton which is a village only 4 or 5 miles away but across the border into County Durham?

There was a prosperous innkeeper in Dipton named John Dixon.  I don't have his date of birth but he married in 1766 and continued living in the village for many years.  Because he was living in County Durham, he was married and all 6 of his children were baptised at All Saints parish church at Lanchester.

John married Margaret Wheatley on 29th December 1766 and they had six children, including another John born in 1774.

This may be totally unconnected but it is worth checking out.

Offline ScottDixon22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Finding my roots honors my family and is rewarding
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 07 July 23 14:29 BST (UK) »
I haven't run across any Dixon ancestors from Dipton, but will keep my eyes open for it.  We have a few in Snows Green, Medomsley, Ebchester, all just really close to Shotley.  Thank you!
Dixon family from Northumberland and Durham, then Staffordshire and Shropshire, then Liverpool, then Illinois, USA. Maiden surnames of those married into my direct Dixon family line over in England include Philipson, Marshall, Westgarth, and Keeling.

Frohock family from Cambridgeshire, then USA (PA, NC, TN, KY, then IL).

Horat family from canton Schwyz, Switzerland, then Illinois, USA

Fearno/Fernow/Ferneau family from Germany, then USA (NY, WV, IL).

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 07 July 23 15:01 BST (UK) »
And all of those places are within about 5 miles from Dipton!