Author Topic: Duffy Family - Help needed to move onwards.  (Read 3783 times)

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duffy Family - Help needed to move onwards.
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 11:07 BST (UK) »
Summary of Finds to Date

Source Facts Previously Held

John Duffy b 1857 Loughlynn, County Roscommon
Marriage Mary Hawthorn 1882 - Certificate obtained - Johns Father named as Edward, Farmer.

From here and my post yesterday we have:

Edward Duffy & Catherine Jordan

m. 1852 in Tibohine Parish, Roscommon, Co Mayo

Children 9 (previously listed in this post) b1853 - 1873 - Baptism records Tibohine Parish
including a Joannem (John) 1856 which could be my ggf.

Edward Death - 1903 Moyne, Roscommon
Catherine Death - 1891 Moyne, Roscommon

Edward (Widow) showing 1901 Census Loughlynn/Moyne/Rosommon with Mary (daughter in law)

I believe we have captured the family of Edward and Catherine in the Roscommon area but can I ask whether the consensous is that this is my ggf John family as close as we can prove? ie Do I add all this to family tree and continue positively OR is there a further piece of information or investigation before I confirm this is my ancestors?

Loughglinn Ireland : Duffy (Paternal Line)
London: Baylis(s), Maynard, Dutton, Smith, Ward, Garner, Down
Brighton: Galliers, Hilton
Devon (Moretonhampstead): Dingle, Smale
Essex (North): Garrad, Hull, Bishop, Partridge, Pepper
Manchester: Duffy, Hawthorn(e), Holyoak(e)
Shropshire Wellington: Vaughan, Foreman
Suffolk: Partridge, Minter
Wales (Monmouthshire): Powell, Mayber(r)y

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 11:19 BST (UK) »

... Witness' suggested Luke or Lucas Duffy perhaps and Jordan witness James or Fraser ?

Lucas = latin for Luke.  I don't think the other witness was called Fraser, that would be highly unusual for the context.  It doesn't look like Jacobus, it's possibly a poorly written Joan[n]es for John, but I'm not sure. I'm also unsure if the 3/3 degree dispensation for consanguinity belongs to their entry or the one below.

Edited to add:  On reflection, if the marriage entry follows the pattern of others on the same and neighbouring pages (dispensation details at the end of an entry) and given the 'boxing' marks used, I'm leaning towards it applying to Edward and Catherine, meaning they were 2nd cousins.

Offline Real Lee History

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 17 July 18 14:45 BST (UK) »

... Witness' suggested Luke or Lucas Duffy perhaps and Jordan witness James or Fraser ?

Lucas = latin for Luke.  I don't think the other witness was called Fraser, that would be highly unusual for the context.  It doesn't look like Jacobus, it's possibly a poorly written Joan[n]es for John, but I'm not sure. I'm also unsure if the 3/3 degree dispensation for consanguinity belongs to their entry or the one below.

Edited to add:  On reflection, if the marriage entry follows the pattern of others on the same and neighbouring pages (dispensation details at the end of an entry) and given the 'boxing' marks used, I'm leaning towards it applying to Edward and Catherine, meaning they were 2nd cousins.

So Great Grandparent will be the same if 2nd cousins. A point to remember and may give two different directions to get to the same point - which could help if we struggle with Edwards parents details and so on.

Again, good spot and discussion :)

Loughglinn Ireland : Duffy (Paternal Line)
London: Baylis(s), Maynard, Dutton, Smith, Ward, Garner, Down
Brighton: Galliers, Hilton
Devon (Moretonhampstead): Dingle, Smale
Essex (North): Garrad, Hull, Bishop, Partridge, Pepper
Manchester: Duffy, Hawthorn(e), Holyoak(e)
Shropshire Wellington: Vaughan, Foreman
Suffolk: Partridge, Minter
Wales (Monmouthshire): Powell, Mayber(r)y