Author Topic: Andrew Still Bain, Saltcoats  (Read 1320 times)

macduff

Andrew Still Bain, Saltcoats
« on: Tuesday 09 August 05 12:32 BST (UK) »

Hello!

Im looking for any information on my ggg grandfathers illegitimate son Andrew Still Bain.

He was born to Andrew Still and Catherine Conn who were both farm sevants in Alvah, Banffshire.

I think Andrew mustve been adopted by Catherines next husband -------- Bain. Catherine mustve married again as it shows her name on his death certificate as Catherine Stewart!

Andrew was married to Mary Fisher at the time of his death. He died 1/5/1901 aged 33. Andrew was the Hotel manager at the Crown Hotel, Saltcoats.

Any information on him or any family he may have had would be fantastic.

Many thanks, Macduff

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Still Bain, Saltcoats
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 August 05 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi McDuff

Just wondered a couple of things, before I go posting data you might already know about:--  Have you located Andrew STILL / BAIN  on the Census for 1881?

And I have no info, but wondered do you know who he named as his father on his Marriage  to Mary FISHER?

Cheers

Anne
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

macduff

Re: Andrew Still Bain, Saltcoats
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 10:39 BST (UK) »

Hi Anne,

On the 1881 census it shows Andrew living with his father in North Castle street, Banff. By the time he is married he is living in Blythswood, Glasgow.

He names his father on his marriage certificate as David Gilchrist Bain (restauranter) who is deceased. At the time of him getting married he was 22.

Hope you can help as this is a strange one!!

Caroline