Author Topic: Amalgamation of Information Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 3045 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Amalgamation of Information Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hazel, it is mentioned here www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/s/html/stringer-dominic-michael.htm that Dominic showed a Dublin birth place in some documents. Any more details from there?

Nice to see a photo of him after all this time  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hazel, it is mentioned here www.roll-of-honour.org.uk/s/html/stringer-dominic-michael.htm that Dominic showed a Dublin birth place in some documents. Any more details from there?

Nice to see a photo of him after all this time  :)

Monica

Hi Monica,

No, I have no more information than is there.  The man who did the "Roll of Honour" seen here liased with me putting it together.  There is only one reference in my records to his being born in Dublin and, from memory, it is anotes on a verbal conversation and I have not been able to prove a paper record for it.
FYI the uniform Dad is wearing there is from US CoastGuard.  This picture was sent to Sub.Lt F. E. W.Lammert (mentioned in the link above), in the early 1990's and he recognised Dad as being one of the naval ratings mentioned in McMahon;s report in your link.

Hazel
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 July 18 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for background. Great photo of our hard to trace Dominic Michael!

There is a Dublin family by the way, with father John and sons showing as carpenters.  Wife Eliza Hanley www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Mountjoy/Lr__Gloucester_St_/1327380/

I can trace Edward, who married a Kate Donnelly in 1902 www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Corporation_Buildings/29311/ Poor couple must have lost at least 10-15 children as babies or very young children. This includes a Kathleen who was born April-June 1919 in Dublin and died a few months later there. This is what got me looking to see if I could see a possible birth for Dominic there then to fit with his comments of him being a twin. No joy though  :-\

Checking all options really as Dominic looks likely as we know to have been creative with his past  ::)

Monica

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for background. Great photo of our hard to trace Dominic Michael!

There is a Dublin family by the way, with father John and sons showing as carpenters.  Wife Eliza Hanley www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Mountjoy/Lr__Gloucester_St_/1327380/

I can trace Edward, who married a Kate Donnelly in 1902 www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Corporation_Buildings/29311/ Poor couple must have lost at least 10-15 children as babies or very young children. This includes a Kathleen who was born April-June 1919 in Dublin and died a few months later there. This is what got me looking to see if I could see a possible birth for Dominic there then to fit with his comments of him being a twin. No joy though  :-\

Checking all options really as Dominic looks likely as we know to have been creative with his past  ::)

Monica

Thanks Again Monica!!

You are quite right about Dominic's capacity to be "creative with his past"!  We have tracked some of his stories that sounded too fantastic to be true, only to discover a kernel of truth at the centre of them.
There are two extremely interesting things about your most recent post. Firstly the birth/death of Kathleen in April 1919 which ties in with part of his story.  Secondly, is the name Eliza - both my husband and I had forgotten that Dad had mentioned this name but my hubby cannot recall in what connection.  Is the plot beginning to thin at long last? ???   As the two families you mention are related, I wonder if the story about the little girl's death was used by Dad as a sympathy getter?  I think that is entirely possible.
John aged 2 in 1911 could well e "Jack" Dad's older brother who got him ot of Glasgow as it is not unrealistic for Catherine (28 in 1911) to still be having children in 1922, which is the more likely year Dad was born.
As soon as my life settles down again I must have a serious rummage at this family
Thanks Again
Hazel!
Deavin London and France

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 July 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
The 2yr old John in 1911 died. Also another John born in 1912 died at the age of 3 months. Mother Kate seems to have reported most of her children's deaths. How awful it must have been. From the death regs I have seen, many of the babies failed to thrive from birth. Also, stomach/gastro issues seemed to also be another factor.

Monica

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 July 18 22:23 BST (UK) »
The 2yr old John in 1911 died. Also another John born in 1912 died at the age of 3 months. Mother Kate seems to have reported most of her children's deaths. How awful it must have been. From the death regs I have seen, many of the babies failed to thrive from birth. Also, stomach/gastro issues seemed to also be another factor.

Monica

Monica
Oh darn - another idea bites the dust - LOL  Thanks for your help.
Deavin London and France

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 July 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi again -

Referring back to the finds from Isobel and Annie of  Hugh and Phillip Gough living at Fleming Street 1925 Valuation roll and Farnell Street 1930 & 35 Valuation rolls -
there is a Mrs Annie O'Donnell at 12 Fleming Street 1920 & 25 and 12 Farnell Street 1930.
I mention her because  Sarah Stringer's maiden name was O'Donnell  :-\ ( grasping at straws )

Looby :)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Looby - I have been drawn to that Annie O’Donnell too. However from Thomas and Sarah’s marriage it looks as if her mother was also called Sarah.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isobel  - it was worth mentioning. Had a feeling it would be a red herring  ;D

Sarah's mother's name looks to have been Sarah Clifford/ O'Donnell. There is a death for a lady Sarah O'Donnell / Sarah Clifford recorded at Springburn - aged 74 in 1930 - just in case this could be useful too !!

Looby :)