Author Topic: Amalgamation of Information Dominic Michael Stringer  (Read 3039 times)

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Amalgamation of Information Dominic Michael Stringer
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 26 July 18 23:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Isobel  - it was worth mentioning. Had a feeling it would be a red herring  ;D

Sarah's mother's name looks to have been Sarah Clifford/ O'Donnell. There is a death for a lady Sarah O'Donnell / Sarah Clifford recorded at Springburn - aged 74 in 1930 - just in case this could be useful too !!

Looby :)

Thanks Isobel and Loobt,

Sarah clifford O;dpnnell dtre my attention too.  Though I thin that was just because Dominic's mother in law was called Eleanor Ckifford Agard - now that would be stretching coincidence just too far!

Hazel
Casey, Cunningham Burt Glasgow & Ireland,
Dobell, Bridgeman, London
Deavin London and France

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 February 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for background. Great photo of our hard to trace Dominic Michael!

There is a Dublin family by the way, with father John and sons showing as carpenters.  Wife Eliza Hanley www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Mountjoy/Lr__Gloucester_St_/1327380/

I can trace Edward, who married a Kate Donnelly in 1902 www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/North_Dock/Corporation_Buildings/29311/ Poor couple must have lost at least 10-15 children as babies or very young children. This includes a Kathleen who was born April-June 1919 in Dublin and died a few months later there. This is what got me looking to see if I could see a possible birth for Dominic there then to fit with his comments of him being a twin. No joy though  :-\

Checking all options really as Dominic looks likely as we know to have been creative with his past  ::)

Monica

Hi Monica,

After a very long time without new information, I have had another breakthrough.  I thought you might like an update.

It has been proved through DNA testing that Dominic Michael Stringer was born Dominic Cunningham Casey on 14/4/1922 in Bonhill Street, Glasgow.  His parents were John Patrick Casey and Martha Burt.  He was number 10 of FIFTEEN children!  Only five survived to adulthood.  Sadly, my discovery of the brothers and sisters came too late to try and contact them.  I am still trying to find out if there are any nieces or nephews that are still living.  Weirdly it is much harder to trace the living!

Dominic married (the first time) on 30/12/1940 to Elizabeth Smith.  they had a daughter, also called Elizabeth in September 1941.  His marriage certificate shows him as "Gunner RA now on war service".  The daughter is still alive and at the grand age of 76, my husband found he had a half sister!  Perhaps this is why the name Eliza was familiar to me? 

There is a D Casey 6RAA shown as missing at Singapore.  This link to the RA is still a work in process.  DCC/DMS great grandfather was John Casey born circa 1830 Ireland.  John married Mary Clark also born about 1830 in Ireland.

It would appear that the link to Ireland is only tenuous, but i have yet to look more closely at his mothers family. Lots more clues to track to see what else comes out of the woodwork!

Daisy1942

Deavin London and France

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 February 22 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daisy

Thanks for the update to your thread  :)

Sounds like you have made the breakthrough you needed to properly research Dominic. Good luck with your discoveries!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline daisy1942

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 25 January 24 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Another year on and a few more chips out of the wall.  Dominic Michael was indeed in the Royal Artillery as Dominic Cunningham Casey.  He was at Singapore (albeit briefly) arriving on 13 January 1942 and escaping on 13 February 1942!  He was reported missing but showed up about a month later and was registered back to the army in  the Ceylon/India command area.  His whereabouts were known for just 3 days before he went AWOL once more.  Another soldier from his unit sighted him in Durban in June but vanished AGAIN!

the gap is getting smaller, I need to figure out how he got from Durban to Trinidad.  i suppose one avenue of research is torpedoed ships as he claimed to have been torpedoed three times when he was recruited into the USED Coast Guard in Trinidad.  A long shot but so many of his other stories have held a kernel of truth.

The hunt goes on!
Deavin London and France

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 26 January 24 15:33 GMT (UK) »
 ;D The hunt is certainly continuing for you!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk