Author Topic: Chowns and Stop families  (Read 3083 times)

Offline Carmela

• RootsChat Senior
  • Trixie
    • View Profile
Re: Chowns and Stop families
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 01:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Christy,
There are several other people researching STOPPS and CHOWN in the same area of Oxfordshire. You might try the RootsWeb Oxfordshire Mailing List. If you search the archives for STOPPS in 2001, you will find many postings and from those you can obtain the e-mail addresses and get in touch with others who may have a great deal of information about your relatives. Some addresses may be out of date, but I am sure that some of those researchers are still active.
There is a family e-group for STOPPS, someone can probably put you in touch with that group. I suggest also, that you check the Oxfordshire Surname List. You are very lucky that there are others researching your family names in the same area. I am sure that you will receive a great deal of help and perhaps find some cousins.

Oxfordshire Surname Interest List:   
http://www.rootsweb.com/~oxsil/

RootsWeb OXF Mailing List:
http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/intl/ENG/OXFORDSHIRE.html

Happy hunting,
Carmela (Canada with roots in Oxfordshire)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationararchives.gov.uk

Current obsessions:
OXF: Rose of Wheatley and Holton 1700s
BRK: Stevenson of East Hanney 1600-1880s
BKM: Woodman of Wing
DEV: Youlden of Whimple
SOM: Smith, Gudge, Joy and Tett of Crewkerne

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Thanks to Carmilas ideas yesterday I have had a little fish on some of the Genealogy notice boards on the web and turned up a couple of messages between people from 2001 which you might find interesting

-----------------------------------------------------------

Dear Ron,
Have just realized that you do not have the same William I have. My Abel had a son William and Abel was married to Elizabeth Stapp.
Their children were William, John, Mary, Jane, Richard, Francis,Matha, Eliza, Sarah,
Martha(2) Maryann, Francis(2). Of these at least 4 died when very young.
Abel's parents were William Chowns and Elizabeth Richards.
Again regards,
Cherylle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Cherylle (2nd message today)
The William who married Eliza daughter of Abel and Elizabeth was a son of Thomas Chown and Hannah Mould. It was his second marriage.
William, Abel's son was also married twice; first to Mary Gibson then to Susannah Young.
We must find a way of directly communicating.
Regards Ron

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are from the Chowns Genforum message board

All the best

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuddlepie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks
I checked out the messages and have contacted Liz Chown Gadd who is apparently related although only distantly. Thankyou for your help and hopefully I will be able to return the favour. If you stumble across anything else let me know
Thanks
Christy