Author Topic: 1841 and 1851 look ups please  (Read 3230 times)

Offline whitej

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 and 1851 look ups please
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 August 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
No reply from Gill Baker although a relative says the following;

"Edmund Bach married Charlotte Mayland in London in 1827. A son Edmund born 1828 London. Second son Robert born Sep/Oct 1832 in London. This date according to a seamans certificate dated 1849." Edmund dies between 1832-1840 possibly London?

I know that Charlotte married John William Barker, a gentleman in 1840, Hanover Sq, London. His father was James also a gentleman.

My original request is to find Charlotte and her new husband JW Barker in 1841 and later censuses.
My view is if they married in Feb 1840 there is a good chance they were still in London in 1841. It os also likely young Robert, who would have been 8/9 is living with his mother in 1841?
Edmund the son b1828 - maybe dead by 1841 - just a hunch on my part.

Can anyone help with look-up request? Thank you.

Offline whitej

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 August 18 07:27 BST (UK) »
Query now resolved. Not found in census after extensive search.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 20 August 18 00:47 BST (UK) »
Hmm,, I think you may be giving up too soon?

Genealogy can be very fickle although fun (to some of us) i.e. variants of names & odd transcriptions can be a hurdle but one needs an open mind on those possibilities.

Have you looked for the family as Baker rather than Barker?
I'm not saying this will reveal anything but worth consideration.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 August 18 13:48 BST (UK) »
Query now* resolved. Not found in census after extensive search.

More like "query * NOT resolved."  :)

I agree with Annie. There is no reason to give up. It can sometimes take years to find people on censuses, then one day, they can appear out of nowhere. It is well worth re-visiting any stumbling blocks.

Added: Somehow I missed your last post of the 11th August. I will try to have a look for them in a day or two.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 August 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
This might be of interest...

Bell's New Weekly Messenger
01 Dec 1839
Police
Bow Street
Robbing An Employer
A respectable looking young woman, named Charlotte Bache, attired in [deep?] mourning, and described as a milliner, was charged with stealing a number of books, a quantity of silk, lace, and other articles, from Mrs Wood, her ___ employer, who resides at Worcester. It appeared that the prisoner had been the service of the prosecutrix for eight months, and such was the confidence reposed in her, that she had the entire management of her mistress's establishment. On information being given that she had come up to London, Mrs Wood immediately started for town, and the assistance of the constable she was discovered lodging in Duke Street, Bloomsbury, with the whole of the property, which she admitted she had stolen from her mistress, who carries on the business of dress-maker and milliner at Worcester. Mr Hall, upon the prisoner declining to make any defence, ordered her to be removed to Worcester, to be examined by the proper authorities of that town.

Globe
06 Dec 1839
It having been discovered by Mrs Hood, dress-maker, of the College-yard, that her forewoman, Charlotte Bache, who had recently quitted her service and gone to reside in London, had carried on a system of extensive depredations upon her property, and purloined a considerable quantity of valuable silks, velvets, &c., Mr Hood, her husband, having by deposition of a witness, taken before Mr Sidebottom, satisfactorily ascertained the fact. proceeded to London by mail on Tuesday evening, the 26th ult.,  and having procured, immediately on his arrival, the aid of a police-sergeant of the F division, in plain clothes, went straight to the lodgings of the suspected party, and apprehended her. The  property was found in a box at her lodgings, but the considerations of her previous good character, the fact of her being a widow with two children, and the extreme contrition she expressed for her offence, coupled with the knowledge that any proceedings taken against her would implicate a female of respectable connections, and whose character has hitherto been unsullied, induced Mr Hood generously to forego a prosecution, and the prisoner was liberated. She was a female possessing considerable personal attractions, and was shortly to have been married to a highly respectable young man residing in London. On Thursday morning Mrs Hood received a communication from her, stating that before it reached her she (Bache) would be no more, and on the following morning Mrs Hood received another letter from her intended husband, stating that after much research he had discovered her in a hospital, whither she had been conveyed on its having been ascertained that she had taken a large dose of laudanum with the intention of poisoning herself. The occurrence has given great pain to the family of Mr Hood, and ought to be a warning to all how they yield to temptation. Mr Hood has replied to the last letter, but no answer has yet been received from the young man, to who she was on the eve of being united.
Worcestershire Chronicle
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline whitej

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 August 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Fantastic. Where did you find this?

Offline whitej

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 August 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
I am fairly certain this is Charlotte. Need to prove it.

I think generally I am very scunnered at not finding her/them in 1841 or 51. Your right I must persevere. Just fed up with brick walls at the moment.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 August 18 22:28 BST (UK) »
You'll find the articles in the British Newspaper Archive.

It does look a lot like your Charlotte but proving may it be tricky; it would have been nice if the articles had given her age. It's probably worth you having a more thorough search of the newspapers, it can be surprising what you can find.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
That looks very promising cuffie. Well found!  :) If it is your Charlotte you know she still had two children in 1839.

Added: I still can't find them in 1841/51. Where was Charlotte born? (it may have already been mentioned but I can't recall)