Author Topic: John Tierney  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Tierney
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 29 July 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Just been looking again and no sign of her.

Disappearing people is a common family history headache. We've all got them.
Cowban

Offline Darren2510

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 29 July 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
Never thought of that. With her being still young thought she might have stayed with her mum
like John jnr did. This is not easy.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 29 July 18 16:14 BST (UK) »
There is a Elizabeth Tierney born 1869 to a Mcguill in preston.
in the 1871 census there is a Bridget, Catherine and Elizabeth Tearn in Blackburn. Think it was member Heywood that picked up on it but no husband. Trying look into was John Tierney snr a naughty boy and in prison then.
Thanks for still looking

He could be and also the male from the other boarding family is missing so they could be in prison, ir away selling their wares.

Or nipped back to Ireland where surviving census records are sparse pre 1901. That's probably where my GF was in 1891. Or away doing other seasonal/casual work. This was the great navvy era. Building railways etc.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 29 July 18 16:38 BST (UK) »
Never thought of that. With her being still young thought she might have stayed with her mum
like John jnr did. This is not easy.

Education wasn't compulsory until 1870s and then only to age 10. As her birth was registered 1869 she was around 12 in 1881 and therefore old enough to be employed. Cotton mills operated a "half-time system" for older children. They divided their time each weekday between work and school. This practice continued into early 20thC. Alternative occupations for Elizabeth would have been domestic service (poorly-paid, long hours, little freedom), hawking, or if there was a family farm in Ireland, helping out there in exchange for her keep. There might have been elderly relatives in Ireland who needed help so she might have been sent to them. She might have been sent to other relatives as an unpaid childminder. A 12 year-old girl was useful.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 29 July 18 17:12 BST (UK) »
I advise leaving Irish research for now. It comes with a fresh set of complications and problems. Do what you can to sort out the family in Lancashire first. They should keep you busy for a while.

When you feel ready to tackle the Irish side, begin by reading up about family history research in Ireland. A bit of background reading on Irish history of 19th and early 20th century will help too, especially understanding emigration patterns. Your family may have had relatives in Scotland for instance. There are plenty of books and websites and articles in family history magazines. The National Library of Ireland website has explanatory articles. Irish Toolkit is another informative site. One good thing - a lot of Irish records are free to view online.
When you've done that start a new thread on the Ireland or Armagh board about the Tierney/McGill family. You will need help from people familiar with researching that area. At least you have a county for Bridget which is more than I have for my Preston Irish. Be sure to include links to this thread and your other Tierney thread so that people can read them and not spend time going over old ground.
You can find all your previous threads and posts by clicking on "Profile" on brown bar above.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 29 July 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Education wasn't compulsory until 1870s and then only to age 10.

Correction. It was 1880 Act which made education compulsory between ages of 5 and 10. 1893 Act raised school leaving age to 11. It was increased to 13 in 1899.
www.politics.co.uk/reference/education-leaving-age
Elizabeth may not have attended school, or may have been an occasional attender. John should have been a pupil for a minimum of 3 years.
Cowban

Offline Darren2510

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:33 BST (UK) »

Think that is a good idea, will come back to it when i get a bit more experience. Learned a bit tho from what other members have put. They will be sick of me soon got a GGF on my dads side that i am having a bit of trouble with, but he's not from Ireland.
Will start with what i know first.
Thanks everyone for your help.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:47 BST (UK) »
 My top suggestions for baptism of John Tierney are St. Wilfred's and St. Augustine's. They are equidistant from Syke St. Registers for both churches are at Lancashire Archives.

St. Augustine of Canterbury, St. Austin's Place,  (not far from Avenham Lane),  founded 1838. It had a cemetery.
Registers at Lancashire Archives: Baptisms 1840-1922; marriages 1841-1902; burials 1855-1914.

St. Wilfred, Chapel St., founded 1792. It had a cemetery, closed 1854.
Registers at Lancashire Archives:
 Baptisms 1768-1803;  1813-1898;
 Marriages 1769-1803; 1813-1829; 1856-1899
 Burials 1768-1803; 1817-1854*
St. Wilfred was successor to St. Mary which was known to have existed since 1605, hence registers pre-dating foundation of St. Wilfred's. St. Mary closed when St. Wilfred opened but re-opened a few years later to cope with the increased congregation.

Information from Lancashire Online Parish Clerks and GEN UKI websites. This information may not be up to date.  GEN UKI is a vital guide for FH research. Among other things it lists churches in a town. Just google GEN UKI and a place. Both sites are volunteer- run.

* The former St. Wilfred cemetery has a website. It was too early for your Tierney family though.

There were 7 Catholic churches in Preston (including St. Mary) when Bridget & John's children were born there, so not knowing addresses when the older ones were born it would be necessary to look up baptism registers of all of them. I'd begin with St. Wilfred and St. Augustine in case the family remained in same area.
As for burials, possiblities include St. Augustine, St. Joseph, (burial register from 1877 at Lancs. Archives), St. Ignatius (burials registers 1836-1855 & 1880-1916 + monumental inscriptions 1832-1858 at Lancs. Archives) and Preston cemetery. Catholics were also buried in C. of E. churchyards if there was no cemetery or R.C. graveyard. Don't expect to find tombstones, the family wouldn't have been able to afford them.

Lancashire Archives has indexes to some registers. LANCAT is the online catalogue.

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 29 July 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Darren, have you added McGill and Tierney to the Surname Interests list on this site? If not, go to bottom of page to brown section and click on Surname Interests. 
Cowban