Author Topic: Royd Pitts, nr Netherton or Thornhill, Yorkshire  (Read 5999 times)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Royd Pitts, nr Netherton or Thornhill, Yorkshire
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census was taken on the night of Sunday 6 June. From 1851 to 1911 the dates were late March or early April; 1921 was 19 June.

The National Archives guide to censuses deals with this kind of question (though it doesn't cover 1921 yet):

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/census-records/
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 11 August 21 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for those facts. Really interesting.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 13 August 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
Longshot or long term project by someone with a bit of time or interest in with online resources to undertake a mission.

Thinking of place names, buildings where people lived, from streets to farm pastures that have possible dwellings in the fields like farm workers tied cottages or main farm residences in fields. 

Working various decades of Census Enumerators routes with  funny named places where Pitt(s) Royd is thought to be from known info of locations in/around  Netherton (to and around Middestown, Overton en route to Grange moor), Thornhill parish boundary, West Bretton/Midgley (Silkstone Parish) Kirkheaton parish and from Thornhill towards Dewsbury area. To add further: The other side of the river Calder at Horbury bridge on the hill side below Ossett or Horbury village may also be of interest.

Helpful maps website

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=14&lat=53.65039&lon=-1.54985&layers=102&b=1&z=0&point=53.65843,-1.55955

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 13 August 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Dobfarm
Thanks for your response. I wish to inform you that I have found the location of another Pitt Royd, which is nearer to Thornhill and is looking good for the actual dwelling site for our (possible) ancestors registered in the Thornhill Parish Registers in the 17th/18th centuries. I found it in a newspaper advert   of the 'Wakefield and West Riding Herald 08 August 1856'.
Not possible to pin point it exactly, but its locality is off South Lane/Stocksmoor Lane(or Road now), south of Netherton, which is a little closer to your Pitts Beck.

I've copied a snippet of the newspaper clip to add to a map snippet below with Windy Bank on both snippets

Bits from all the snippets and maps you posted  shelleyite - With Windy Hill position on 2 items point to Whitley Hall drive entrance (Dicks Temple) as Pits Royd
Unless Royd Pitts is a different place to Pitts Royd ?
Being there are different Royd's  around Thornhill like Royd cottage etc and coal pits - could one coal pit be called Royd Pit similar to Stony Royd pit (There is one call that near Thornhill.)
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 14 August 21 09:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm inclined to think the Pitt Royd mentioned in the newspaper clipping is closer to the mark for me, but I take your point and its worth looking at all the evidence that's been dug up so far. Thanks. Its trying to establish a link between Netherton/Thornhill/ Shitlington and Silkstone/Cawthorne where our ancestors definitely resided in 19thC. Looking at a recently found Parish Map of this part of West Yorkshire (see attachment), Silkstone Parish boundary extended to West Bretton, a stones throw from the presumed location of Pitt Royd! Coincidence?

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 15 August 21 21:12 BST (UK) »
As another alternative to locations named Royd near Thornhill.

Pitts Royd starts 'Pitts' - so is 'Pitts beck' the location area of Pitts Royd based on logic.  ???
~~~~~~~~--------------------------
In Netherton is Pitts beck, the beck source starts at South lane, Star Inn. Netherton

Just along South lane from the Star Inn to top of Green lane are some farm buildings (on link map        B.M.354 . 47 ) not named at the top of Pitts Beck

https://maps.nls.uk/view/100948325

--------------------------------------

sugarfizzle - Margaret

Maybe if you write a letter to the landlord or pub manager of the 'Star Inn' in Netherton for him/her to ask the local pup drinkers if they have ever heard of Pitts Royd (Just a thought for the price of 2 stamps with a stamped address envelope for a reply to your letter you send   ???  :)
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its possibly here by your latest info - See MAP LINK (above 2018 old post) -Star inn and Star farm with Upper and Lower Windy bank west of Star farm (Lower left corner of link map)

Upper Windy Bank
Lower Windy

Stocks moor Road and Lane

Nether Shitlington

West Bretton

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 20 August 21 01:43 BST (UK) »
As another alternative to locations named Royd near Thornhill.

Pitts Royd starts 'Pitts' - so is 'Pitts beck' the location area of Pitts Royd based on logic.  ???
~~~~~~~~--------------------------
In Netherton is Pitts beck, the beck source starts at South lane, Star Inn. Netherton

Just along South lane from the Star Inn to top of Green lane are some farm buildings (on link map        B.M.354 . 47 ) not named at the top of Pitts Beck

https://maps.nls.uk/view/100948325

--------------------------------------

sugarfizzle - Margaret

Maybe if you write a letter to the landlord or pub manager of the 'Star Inn' in Netherton for him/her to ask the local pup drinkers if they have ever heard of Pitts Royd (Just a thought for the price of 2 stamps with a stamped address envelope for a reply to your letter you send   ???  :)
#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its possibly here by your latest info - See MAP LINK (above 2018 old post) -Star inn and Star farm with Upper and Lower Windy bank west of Star farm (Lower left corner of link map)
-------------------------------------------------------
For Windy bank farm use satellite view in link

Zoom  in or out on link below using cursor wheel

http://www.livebus.org/west-yorkshire/stops/450022295/
----------------------------------------------------------------
Upper Windy Bank
Lower Windy

Stocks moor Road and Lane

Nether Shitlington

West Bretton

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 20 August 21 02:10 BST (UK) »
I have found in this link- it maybe just a 19th century name of the coal pit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Bretton

West Bretton

Scroll down to Industry

4th line down say as below:

xploit coal which outcropped in Bretton but were small in scale. A mine was operated by Thomas Wood in 1806, Bretton Colliery managed by Tweedale and Watson paid rent to the estate in 1820s and bell pit, the Gate Royd Pits, (near the motorway service area)

Offline shelleyite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 20 August 21 09:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

Inclined to agree with your rough location, regarding you first post today, and I am probably going to take some dissuading otherwise. Thanks

With reference to your second post, the position of that is a bit out on a limb and 'Gate' in front weakens the suggestion. Alas, I have found another reference to Pitt Royd in West Bretton, documented twice. Pytroid in 1529 (YD vi) and Pitt Royds (spelling is the same when documented in the Thornhill Parish Regs!) in 1653, gleaned from Place Names of W R Yorkshire Part ii. May be its the same Pitt Royd as the one near Windy Bank.?