Author Topic: Wyn and Ivy Black (Adams) of Brixton: Musical stars of the 1930s.  (Read 5586 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: West End Girls: East End Boy?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 30 July 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
What wonderful research and deduction! Well done, all of you.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 30 July 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
A review from Hull:

...  Marjorie Stevens and Lewis Barber sing and dance pleasantly; the Melvilles are capable jugglers; while Wyn and Ivy in Mirthful Moments " are always amusing. Bob Lloyd again acts as host, while Betty Hill sings and dances .....   
04 April 1933 - Hull Daily Mail - Hull, Yorkshire, England

Well well well.....My home town  :o

What an interesting bit of searching for us, and to think I nearly never posted my enhanced snip of the signature !!!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 30 July 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Well, I am astonished that after more than fifty years of looking at this photograph, I now know who the ladies are. Thank you to all the Rootschatters who have solved another mystery in my photograph box.  I am very, very grateful. 

I did try to post something earlier this morning to confirm that the photograph was indeed taken by Princess Yvonne, and that the address of the studio is given as Mme Yvonne A.R.P.S., Charing Cross Road, London WC2, with a telephone number of B(?)ar 4874.

The handwritten address is definitely 10 Grey House, Duke York (Sic), London W.1. (see attachment).

Thank you again to everyone.

Kevin (now in Chester)
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 10:16 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to connect that address to either Wyn or Ivy.

Wyn was born Winifred Dorothy Black in 1899. She married Charles William Hearn in Brixton in 1924. In 1939 she can be found living with her mother Laura C Black at 145 Kings Avenue, Wandsworth. She was still there in the 1960's per the electoral rolls.

Ivy was born Ivy Laura Black in 1900. She married Frank James Bing in Canterbury in 1929. They can be found at the George and Dragon in Bethnal Green (4 and 2 Hackney Road) all through the 1930's. They were still there in 1942.

The girls' father Charles Black was known professionally as Adams hence the various references you may see to their father Charles Adams.

Westminster Archives will have voters lists for Duke of York Street - it may be worth an enquiry there.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kevin, now in Chester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 10:36 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful to ShaunJ, Carol, Greensleeves and others for the fantastic detective work in resolving this fifty-year plus mystery.

Seems that Wyn and Ivy were East (or South-East) End Girls after all. 

The remaining mystery is who Jean was?  Perhaps an earlier girlfriend of my Dad, hence mum's disinterest in the photograph, but also her disinclination to throw it away after his passing.  I'll let that one rest, especially as there is no one left who would have known.

Thank you all again.

Kevin now in Chester
Taylor, Wright, Paul (East London) and Carter (Wickford, Orsett, Grays, Leyton, Essex), Holmes (Folkestone) and McHugh/McCue (Ireland/Pontypridd/Chester/Saltney)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
I haven't been able to connect that address to either Wyn or Ivy.

Wyn was born Winifred Dorothy Black in 1899. She married Charles William Hearn in Brixton in 1924. In 1939 she can be found living with her mother Laura C Black at 145 Kings Avenue, Wandsworth. She was still there in the 1960's per the electoral rolls.

Ivy was born Ivy Laura Black in 1900. She married Frank James Bing in Canterbury in 1929. They can be found at the George and Dragon in Bethnal Green (4 and 2 Hackney Road) all through the 1930's. They were still there in 1942.

The girls' father Charles Black was known professionally as Adams hence the various references you may see to their father Charles Adams.

Westminster Archives will have voters lists for Duke of York Street - it may be worth an enquiry there.

Nice work Shaun...I would have you on my team  ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
I am very grateful to ShaunJ, Carol, Greensleeves and others for the fantastic detective work in resolving this fifty-year plus mystery.

Seems that Wyn and Ivy were East (or South-East) End Girls after all. 

The remaining mystery is who Jean was?  Perhaps an earlier girlfriend of my Dad, hence mum's disinterest in the photograph, but also her disinclination to throw it away after his passing.  I'll let that one rest, especially as there is no one left who would have known.

Thank you all again.

Kevin now in Chester

Hi Kevin...I might be a good idea to ask a moderator to change the subject title to include the girls' names and area they were born...that way if anyone googles "Wyn & Ivy" they will pick up this topic  ;)

Someone, somewhere would probably love to have a copy of this for their family file.

Carol

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 18:19 BST (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wyn and Ivy Black (Adams) of Brixton: Musical stars of the 1930s.
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 31 July 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
Seems that Win and Ivy went to South Africa with their younger sister, Laura Clare.  Here they are returning to the UK on 30th October 1922, with Win and Ivy being described as 'Theatricals'.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk