Author Topic: WDYTYA - tiny gripe  (Read 16128 times)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - tiny gripe
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 02 August 18 22:38 BST (UK) »
As I said before:
The day they introduce DNA Testing into WDYTYA is the day I stop watching the programme. :(

Me too  :-X
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 02 August 18 23:27 BST (UK) »
As I said before:
The day they introduce DNA Testing into WDYTYA is the day I stop watching the programme. :(

DNA testing was used in the most recent Australian series:
https://www.sbs.com.au/programs/who-do-you-think-you-are

(my memory of the details is vague but I remember thinking it was not much use)  :)

Offline Melbell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:14 BST (UK) »
I read a tiny piece in a newspaper recently by an eminent research geneticist who said that DNA testing to 'prove' anything about ancestry was a complete waste of time.  (No, sorry, I can't remember the name of the authority).  All the DNA companies must be laughing all the way to the bank, I suspect.

Melbell

Offline omega 1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 03 August 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
I read on internet whoever did (cant remember their name )the  DNA Testing on Cheddar Man it is a waste of money to have DNA test done  regarding family research
Pembrokeshire
James,Gibby,David/Davies,Evan/s,Edward,Thomas,Griffith,Brown,Richards,Phillipps
Carmarthenshire
Thomas,Wilkin,James
Glamorganshire
James
Husbands side
Sussex,Mitchell,White,Hew/Hugh,Peter/s,Lower,Goring,Skinner,Cavey,Padgham,Brann,Graves,Hards,Easton,Moon,Gibb/s,Shepherd
Kent,Curties,Harris/Cleverly
Buckinhamshire
Shephard,Tuck,Philips

Scotland,Riddle

Todd,could be Old Windsor or somewhere I Lincolnshire,John Todd didn't seem to know

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Friday 03 August 18 10:03 BST (UK) »
A few months ago I was contacted by a WDYTYA researcher, who had found me via RootsChat.  She wouldn't say who she was researching, but I gave her the records I had and she kindly informed me later that they appeared to be correct!  I'm now waiting to see if I am connected to some "celebrity" in the next series.  Trouble is, I shall have to record the whole series, as I don't know who to look out for.

How did you know she was genuine Gillg? Not doubting you, I'm just curious. Must admit I'm suspicious of everyone.  ;) ;D

Roobarb - I looked her up on the net and found her to be a bone fide researcher and historian!  We also had a long telephone conversation where we shared information and we also shared several emails, particularly after she had been to the appropriate Record Office to check stuff.

Xinia, I'm afraid I have to disappoint you.  I'm certainly not a celebrity and haven't a clue which present day figure she was researching, though I do know which branch of my ancestors she was interested in. Maybe she will decide that we, like Parkinson, are too boring!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Friday 03 August 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
I read a tiny piece in a newspaper recently by an eminent research geneticist who said that DNA testing to 'prove' anything about ancestry was a complete waste of time.  (No, sorry, I can't remember the name of the authority).  All the DNA companies must be laughing all the way to the bank, I suspect.

Melbell

I think DNA testing was used in a couple of instances in the last Australian series. It didn't reveal much but I think one celeb was trying to prove a family story about having an ancestor from a different ethnicity (which was true). In this case the ancestor's name gave a pretty good clue where he came from.
(I might be getting my celeb's stories mixed up though because I did binge watch a few episodes at a time).  :)

Offline chirp

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 04 August 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
I am actually enjoying the current series. I found the Shirley Ballas episode very interesting and did not have a problem that not all the mysteries were resolved; that's the nature of genealogy. The subject is rarely a researcher and they are expected to comment on their findings and make a summary so I guess they will inevitably tend to bestow positive attributes on their ancestors. I take that part with a pinch of salt. The best episode this series so far for me was without a doubt the Olivia Coleman one. I would really be interested to see a programme on "The Making of WDYTYA" and would also enjoy seeing a scientist subject - Steve Jones would be a good choice being a geneticist.
AVERY, Berks, BLUNDELL, North Meols, BOND, Wilts,  BRUNDRETT, Lancs, CHORLTON, Salford, DUNKLEY, West Haddon, FOGGIN, Yorks, GRANT, Durham,  GRESTY, Salford, GRINDROD, Salford, HUMM, Bethnal Green, MALONEY, Limerick & Lancs,  MARCHANT, Worcs, McPHERSON, Kent, MELLISH, Finsbury, PERRETT, Wilts,  RAGG, Yorks, RAINSFORD, Staffs, RENSHAW, Salford, ROSS, Leicester, TIGHE/TYE, All, WELLER, Berks, WILKINSON, Wes
Early 19th C Hairdressing & Perfumery
Spittalfields Silkweavers
Glass making, S Shields

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 04 August 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks fro clarifying Gillg, sounds very interesting.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Phil Goater

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Harry & Floss
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Sunday 05 August 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
Re the Shirley Ballas episode I was looking around Prince Albert and Queen Victoria’s residence on the Isle of Wight - Osborne House - today and was intrigued to find a portrait of a young lady described as ‘A Malay from the Cape’ hanging in the corridor just before the magnificent Durbar room.

Phil
Goater, Smith, Henning, Scarlett, Lucas, Abraham, Langdale, Parker, Read, Curtis, Arm, Franklin, Bryant, Hart, Earl, White, Welch, Howard, Bateman, Hutchinson, Hunter, Lawes, Rogers, Brixey......