Author Topic: WDYTYA - tiny gripe  (Read 16123 times)

Offline katerimmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA - tiny gripe
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 15:47 BST (UK) »
A few months ago I was contacted by a WDYTYA researcher, who had found me via RootsChat.  She wouldn't say who she was researching, but I gave her the records I had and she kindly informed me later that they appeared to be correct!  I'm now waiting to see if I am connected to some "celebrity" in the next series.  Trouble is, I shall have to record the whole series, as I don't know who to look out for.

Could it have been last night's episode, since there was mention of a Feary from Huntingdonshire?
Bristow, Horsleydown; Glasscodine, anywhere; Ferrier, Edinburgh; Lucey, Bermondsey; Horner, Essex; Bowskill, Elkesley; Salter, Great Yarmouth; Vowles, Bedminster/Cardiff; Morgan, Breconshire; Vidgen, New Romney

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
I read a tiny piece in a newspaper recently by an eminent research geneticist who said that DNA testing to 'prove' anything about ancestry was a complete waste of time.  (No, sorry, I can't remember the name of the authority).  All the DNA companies must be laughing all the way to the bank, I suspect.

Melbell

I imagine that researcher had their words misrepresented or was speaking very broadly. One of the first things I did after getting my DNA results was connect one woman's ancestor as a previously undiscovered brother of one of my own Irish ancestors.

Perhaps they were referring to ethnicity estimates which are indeed mostly fluff.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline StanleysChesterton

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My G-grandmother on right, 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 16:31 BST (UK) »

Could it have been last night's episode, since there was mention of a Feary from Huntingdonshire?
It was.
Gillg was after Thomasina of Warboys - Thomasina was the first-born illegitimate child of Elizabeth, who was the mother of the Louise Voss in last night's episode.  Elizabeth had her child, then married Richard.  Elizabeth & Richard had a few children, one of whom was the Louise, the main focus of last night's episode.
Related to: Lots of people!
:)
Mostly Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire, some Kent and Dorset.

Elizabeth Long/Elizabeth Wilson/Elizabeth Long Wilson, b 1889 Caxton - where are you?
- -
Seeking: death year/location of Albert Edward Morgan, born Cambridge 1885/86 to Hannah & Edward Morgan of 33 Cambridge Place.
WW1 soldier, service number 8624, 2nd battalion, Highland Light Infantry.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
Oh, no!  And I missed it!  And I did ask the researcher to let me know when it was coming on, too! Must try and find it on iPlayer/Catchup or whatever.  Thomasin (Lawson) wasn't actually from Warboys, but from Eynesbury and she was married to John Fairey/Fairy/Feary/Farey, etc. of Easton, Hunts., so her mother was Elizabeth Lawson, who later married Richard Voss.  Elizabeth became the mother of naughty Louisa Voss - it will be interesting to see how much of her naughtiness was revealed in the programme.  I suspect that the father of her illegitimate child was also a Farey, but from a different Warboys family and as far as I know not related to my Faireys.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 19:31 BST (UK) »
Oh, no!  And I missed it!  And I did ask the researcher to let me know when it was coming on, too! Must try and find it on iPlayer/Catchup or whatever.  Thomasin (Lawson) wasn't actually from Warboys, but from Eynesbury and she was married to John Fairey/Fairy/Feary/Farey, etc. of Easton, Hunts., so her mother was Elizabeth Lawson, who later married Richard Voss.  Elizabeth became the mother of naughty Louisa Voss - it will be interesting to see how much of her naughtiness was revealed in the programme.  I suspect that the father of her illegitimate child was also a Farey, but from a different Warboys family and as far as I know not related to my Faireys.

The show is repeated tonight at 11.45pm on BBC 1

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
They did seem to reveal quite a lot of her naughtiness, whether you know more though you can let us know when you've recorded/watched the programme that's on late tonight, or on iplayer.

I enjoyed last night's programme, Johnny Peacock appeared very interested and didn't blub once, until the very end, even then it wasn't really blubbing.  I think he was hoping Louisa Voss would have died of old age after her hard life and when he found out she hadn't, his eyes started watering.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Saturday 25 August 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Finally managed to watch the programme and was a little disappointed to see that my Thomasin, half-sister of Louisa, wasn't mentioned.  I had supplied a lot of information to the researcher, taking Louisa's family back another two or three generations, but that wasn't used, and I guess Louisa was more interesting, especially as there was a good trail of records for her and her children.

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Saturday 25 August 18 18:56 BST (UK) »
They used to show the parts of the recordings that they didn't have time to fit into the main programme on the WDYTYA magazine website, but I can't see anything for this series.  Perhaps they don't do it for a couple or so weeks after the final programme - which was this one.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Sunday 26 August 18 11:56 BST (UK) »
I'll keep my open for that.  Thanks, Lizzie. :)