Author Topic: Catherine Ryan  (Read 7956 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Ryan
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 04 August 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Just a little addition to this thread, and possibly NOT in Kilkenny.  :-\

There are a few trees on Ancestry where it is THOUGHT that Catherine's maiden name was LINERGAN and that she was born in Ballalooby, Tipperary in 1787.   There are no supporting documents given for these assumptions.

So has anyone looked at those Registers for her Marriage?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 04 August 18 17:37 BST (UK) »
Just a little addition to this thread, and possibly NOT in Kilkenny.  :-\

There are a few trees on Ancestry where it is THOUGHT that Catherine's maiden name was LINERGAN and that she was born in Ballalooby, Tipperary in 1787.   There are no supporting documents given for these assumptions.

So has anyone looked at those Registers for her Marriage?

Yes   :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 04 August 18 17:41 BST (UK) »
I have just looked at RootsIreland, Kilkenny but without subscription it is nigh impossible to know if you have the right people.
http://kilkenny.rootsireland.ie/index.php

One would think that Valentine would be the easiest to search for but there are a few with that name- possibly related but who knows.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 04 August 18 19:46 BST (UK) »
You are not being rude at all and are right to point out that we have strayed from Kilkenny. :)

Soryy, but I did not see on the other thread, that information which I have posted on here.If I am repeating this I must have missed it and apologise again.
The Ryan family in Manchester were pointed out by Maureen but was not followed up.

My attempts here are to show that Daniel Ryan was in Manchester too at least from 1841 onwards and likely before as Catherine is already married by then and that as the family are living side by side, that it is very probable that it is Catherine’s family.

By going through English censuses, there is only the one birthplace from all the family which gives Kilkenny. The other thread was more about the Yates family etc so I don’t think this is a waste of time but perhaps others do. :(

Unfortunately, try as we have, there are no Kilkenny records which would definitely match up. There are a few Valentine Ryans and a couple of births with parents Daniel Ryan and Catherine but not this family names.

Added
I am not being rude either  :) just explaining my attempts to help.

This has been my strategy too, as the only definite piece of information we have re Catherine Ryan's origin in Ireland is Kilkenny on one census. Poking about in the Ryan family in Manchester is preferable to poking Ryan haystacks in Kilkenny, although I've had a go at the latter. Without name of a parish, town, village or preferably townland in Kilkenny it is needle-in-haystack.  :) :)Existence of parish registers from the time of Catherine's birth is patchy, surviving ones have gaps, some entries and whole pages are hard to read or illegible. There may have been more than one Daniel Ryan who had a daughter Catherine in Kilkenny in those years. We need to build a picture of the Ryan family in Manchester.
Some Irish people in Britain gave more detail re p.o.b. in a later census. The most helpful is townland. Some put nearest town or post-town. The Ryan family have not been forthcoming in this respect.
Visitors or lodgers from Ireland on a census sometimes provide a clue to origin of family. Some were relatives or neighbours from home. It was common for these to come over as seasonal workers.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 04 August 18 19:59 BST (UK) »

I guess the Valentine name helps in locating the family? as it unusually

Possibly yes, possibly no. There were a few of that name. The only baptism I found wasn't Catherine's brother; father's name was different.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 04 August 18 20:10 BST (UK) »
I should have asked this earlier on. Do you know what religious denomination Catherine Ryan was?
Cowban

Offline Bluemoonbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 04 August 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
I should have asked this earlier on. Do you know what religious denomination Catherine Ryan was?
Hi
On the marriage certificate I bought as requested between Catherine and Bryan Barlow
It was in the Catholic church I could send a copy via email as I don't know how to load here , says to big

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 04 August 18 20:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
On the marriage certificate I bought as requested between Catherine and Bryan Barlow
It was in the Catholic church I could send a copy via email as I don't know how to load here , says to big

Name of church?
Cowban

Offline Bluemoonbaz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 04 August 18 21:05 BST (UK) »
Sorry was trying cut it down
St Patrick's chapel
Looks like livsey st manchester