Author Topic: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset  (Read 8390 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 12 August 18 04:55 BST (UK) »
That is so weird. I cannot see any insertions. Perhaps in the original document? One that didn't get copied to this clerical copy of that one?

The insertion is one word of about 5 letters (in contracted form) written in the margin to the right of the word seale (see last line of Snippet #22).

It might be yoken or yoven perhaps?

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 12 August 18 05:14 BST (UK) »
Snippet #23:

...and allso whereas I willid to my sonne Thomas after he comyth to the age of xxj yeres my

manours landis and ten(emen)tis in Creke and Cleycotton Immediatly after the dethe of

Elizabeth Counteis of Oxforde yf Anne Graye late [y? = the?] wife ^t of my brother John [Gray?] and now wife^ to sir Richarde Clement be

then lyvynge sholde be unto unto my said sonne Thomas duringe his lyf of the said Anne Graye

as by my said will afore made playnly apperithe whiche legacyes made unto my

said iij sonnes and every of them concerning the said manours landis and ten(emen)tis I revoke

and adnull by this my present will and for Recompense wherof I will that my said...

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 12 August 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
That is so weird. I cannot see any insertions. Perhaps in the original document? One that didn't get copied to this clerical copy of that one?

The insertion is one word of about 5 letters (in contracted form) written in the margin to the right of the word seale (see last line of Snippet #22).

Oh, yes, I see what Bookbox meant now!

Might I put in a suggestion for today?

Then the entire sentence reads: In wyttnesse wherof I the saide Thomas Marques Dorset have to this my wyll put my seale today the daye and yere abovesaid

I am pretty sure that word ends with oday or at least day.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 12 August 18 14:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this, HD, and everybody else! I really appreciate this. It's utterly wonderful. I have no idea how I would have got any further without you. I probably wouldn't have :) :-* :)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 12 August 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Snippet #23:

...and allso whereas I willid to my sonne Thomas after he comyth to the age of xxj yeres my

manours landis and ten(emen)tis in Creke and Cleycotton Immediatly after the dethe of

Elizabeth Counteis of Oxforde yf Anne Graye late [y? = the?] wife ^t of my brother John [Gray?] and now wife^ to sir Richarde Clement be

then lyvynge sholde be unto unto my said sonne Thomas duringe his lyf of the said Anne Graye

as by my said will afore made playnly apperithe whiche legacyes made unto my

said iij sonnes and every of them concerning the said manours landis and ten(emen)tis I revoke

and adnull by this my present will and for Recompense wherof I will that my said...

Cley Coton, Northamptonshire.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol4/pp595-610
28. Tho. marquis of Dorset. Grant, in fee, of the park called Beamount Lease, alias Beamount Wood, Leic., adjoining the King's park of Leicestre Fryth, and of Barden park, Leic.; in exchange for the Marquis's manor of Cley-Coton, Northt. Del. Westm., 28 May 17 Hen. VIII.—S.B.

I am interested in any references to Edward Wootton and Charles Brandon Duke of Suffolk (Brother-in-Law of Henry VIII), as I am a bit of a collector of photocopy prints and images of documents relating to the Manor of Stockingford, alias Stokyngforth and Stoccingford & others), mine are photocopy prints of those in the Aston Charters (now in the British Library Dept of MSS).

The Manors of Stockingford were at the place called Galley Common, where finds date back 2,000 years. A Map of the Plot of Galley Common was drawn in 1590 for an Exchequer Case held in the time of Elizabeth I. The documents say the map was based on a description in an ancient Deed of Hughe Lylborne. Hugh Lilleburn registered / held property at Stockingford in 1280.

Stockingford from John Nichols, The History and Antiquities of the County of Leicester
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=752119.msg6005900#msg6005900

Monument to Henry Grey Duke of Suffolk Lord of the Manor of Astley, where a Hollow Oak once stood
https://www.ourwarwickshire.org.uk/content/catalogue_her/duke-of-suffolks-monument-astley

Enerdale mentioned earlier is Ennerdale, Cumbria. River Ehen. Apparently forfeited by Henry Duke of Suffolk, Father of Lady Jane Grey.

Mark

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
Snippet 25

... sonne Edwarde Immediatly after he comithe to thage of xx yeres shalhave Morebarne

ffeldis in the countie of Leic’ for terme of his lyfe  And I will further that if the saide

landis and ten(emen)tis callid Morebarne feldis be not of the yerely value of xlli* above all charg(es)

that myn executours or one of them shall assigne other of my landis and ten(emen)tis to make in

all to the yerely value of xlli and that landis and ten(emen)tis so to be assignid shalbe allso to my

said sonne for terme of his lyfe  And till the said assignement be had I will that myne execut-

or one of them shall yerely content and paye to my said sonne (as muche? deleted) mony as the said lond(es)

and ten(emen)tis callid Morebarne feldis lackythe of the yerely value of xlli  And I will allso to ...

* = 40 pounds

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 12 August 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Snippet 26

... my said sonne John after he come to the age of xxj yeres shalhave the manour of Leysthorpp

in the Countie of Leic’ and all maner landis ten(emen)tis and pastures in the said Countie knowen by

the name of Leyst(h)ropp for terme of his lyfe  And I will further that if the said manour land(es)

and tenement(es) callid leysthropp be not of the yerely value of xlli above all chargis that my

Executours or one of them shall assigne other of my landis and ten(emen)t(es) and that landis and

ten(emen)tis so to be assigned shalbe allso to my said sonne for terme of his Lyfe and till the said assigneme(n)t

be had I will that myne executours or one of them shall yerely content and pay unto my said ...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 12 August 18 20:12 BST (UK) »

I agree, though I don't know why it's there, exactly where it is to be inserted (if indeed it is), or what it signifies.

Willow, I can't read it as today. The first letter appears to be y, with a vestigial tail looping forwards, though part of it has been cut off in your snippet in reply #56. Like HD, I believe the last letter is not y, but probably a final n, with downward extension, of which there are several examples in this document. As has been pointed out, it's a contraction, so we're looking for a word longer than 5 letters which fits the context. The word today isn't often found in wills of this period; this day would be more common.

I wonder if it somehow relates to the fact that he sounds as if he's signing off here (fixing his seal, day and year aforesaid, etc.), but in practice the will goes on much further? I'm still thinking about it ...

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 12 August 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
I was right about Thurnham. See "A History of the County of Lancaster" Victoria County History series volume 8 pages 101-105. Available to read as BHO British History Online.

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol8/pp101-105

Thurnham Township
"... belongs rather to Cockerham than to Lancaster ……. yet the larger part of its' area lies within the latter parish …."

Thurnham Manor

"Before the Conquest Thurnham ….. being held in 1066 by Earl Tostig. Afterwards it is found to belong to the Lancaster family ……  It thus descended to the Harringtons of Aldingham (fn 8) and through Bonvil to Grey, being held by Henry Grey, Duke of Suffolk, executed for treason 1554. The duke had in 1552 sold it to Thomas Lowrie, citizen of London (fn 9)….."

Footnotes:
7. Crown dues received by Thomas Parr of Kendal. (I didn't note date.)
8. Elizabeth Harrington married William Bonvil. Their granddaughter and heir, Cecily, married Thomas Grey, Marquis of Dorset. Their son, Thomas died 1530.
9. Sale to Thomas Lowrie included manor & lands, 2 water mills, 20 saltpits &c. in Thurnham, Glasson and Cockerham.
                                             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Katherine Parr, 6th & last wife to King Henry, was from Kendal.
Glasson has/had a dock on the River Lune. Lancaster was an important international port in 18thC.

Thomas Lowrie sold Thurnham Manor to Robert Dalton not long after and seemingly made a large profit . The Dalton family still owned it nearly 300 years later, in spite of having it confiscated twice, being on Royalist side in English Civil War and Jacobite in 1715. The Daltons were Catholic. A later footnote lists their holdings. Forton, home of my ancestors in 18thC, is on the list.

Edit. I don't know why an emoticon appeared after the name Aldingham in my third paragraph. Perhaps the Harrington family were the epitome of cool in their day.  It should be the number 8. I can't get rid of it. 8 was there when I previewed it and also when I tried to amend it. Now I need the emoticon for puzzlement.

Cowban