Author Topic: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset  (Read 8387 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:04 BST (UK) »
Snippet #38:

...and prayers as shalbe said by the said pore men for me and myne Anncestours w(i)t(h) such attendannce

as they shalbe bounde to gyve shalbe declarid and made by me or myne executours and written

in a table to be sett in the said College of Asteley I will to my suster Cicelye now wife to sir

John Dudley my manour of Mocheglen in the countie of Leicestr and all my landis and

ten(emen)tis in Moche(g)len within the said countie for terme of hur lyfe to Avanncement of hur better

lyvinge And allso meate and drinke yerely for her her manne s(er)v(a)nt and woman serv(a)nt...

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:52 BST (UK) »
Oh, thank you, HD!!! This is wonderful!  :) :D :)

Sir John Dudley must have been this man:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sutton,_3rd_Baron_Dudley

He was indeed married to Thomas's sister Cecily, or Cicelye.

In February 1537 - seven years after this will was written, and a little over six years after her brother died - Cecily Sutton wrote to Henry VIII's chief minister, Thomas Cromwell, complaining of the poverty in which she and her husband were forced to live.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
It was very kind of him to single her out among his siblings for an inheritance :)

It is strange how someone's last will and testament can bring someone so much to life :) :) :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:37 BST (UK) »
Snippet #39:

...duringe her lyfe to be taken with my lady my wiff or elles yer(e)ly xxli duringe hur lyfe to

be paid by myne executours of the rentes Issues and proffittes of my manours londis and ten(emen)tes

towardes the charges of hur meate and drinke whersoever she shalbe The one of them at hur

pleasure to be takyn I will allso the rentes issues and proffites of my manour of Bosworth shalbe

receyvid by myne executours towardes the p(er)fourmannce of my will unto suche a tyme my...

That's all from me for today.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 18:58 BST (UK) »
That's all from me for today.

Thank you so much, HD. You have gone above and beyond today, truly  :) :) :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
Snippet #40:

...suster Anne Graye and sir Richarde Clement now her husband have extinguisshid realeased

and determyned all suche right ^use^ and Interest as she hathe to the Manour of Hartwell in the

Countie of Northampton unto thuse of the kynge [our?] soverayne Lord and of his heyres And unto

suche a tyme allso that she and s(ir) Richard Clement have released extinguisshid and determynid

all hur ryght use and interest whiche she the said lady Anne hathe to the Manour of Leysthropp

in the Countie of Leic(estre) or anny other parsonne to hur use to the use of me the said Margues and...

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, HD!!! This is wonderful  :) :D :)

We are nearing end of it now, only about a page or so left. I think we have gone through about seven(!). And still he has not named all of his daughters ...

I will to my suster Cicelye now wife to sir  John Dudley my manour of Mocheglen in the countie of Leicestr and all my landis and ten(emen)tis in Moche(g)len within the said countie for terme of hur lyfe to Avanncement of hur better lyvinge And allso meate and drinke yerely for her her manne s(er)v(a)nt and woman serv(a)nt duringe her lyfe to be taken with my lady my wiff or elles yer(e)ly xxli duringe hur lyfe to be paid by myne executours of the rentes Issues and proffittes of my manours londis and ten(emen)tes towardes the charges of hur meate and drinke whersoever she shalbe

I am not entirely sure I understand this part. What does he mean?

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 16:07 BST (UK) »
This is the guy who was the architecht of the poverty and unhappiness of the testator's sister Cecily, through a series of ruinous machinations against her husband, his cousin:

John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dudley,_1st_Duke_of_Northumberland#/media/File:John_Dudley_(Knole,_Kent).jpg

He was the father of Ambrose Dudley, Robert Dudley, Guildford Dudley and Henry Dudley.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Snippet #41:

...to myne heyres and to the p(er)fourmannce of my laste will And Immediatly after hur said right

use and title extinguisshid and determyned I will that the said manour of Bosworth and

all my landis and tenementes in Bosworthe shalbe to thuse of my said Suster Anne for terme

of hur lyfe in full satisfaccion and recompense of suche intrest Right use and titile whiche

she the said lady Anne hathe to the manours of Hartewell and Leisthropp so that the said

Richarde Clemet and lady Anne upon a request to them or to the said lady Anne to be made by...