Author Topic: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset  (Read 8366 times)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Thomas Grey, 2nd Marquess of Dorset
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 August 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
Snippet 5

sonne Henry to have xxli yerely out of suche landes and ten(emen)tis whereof myne executours
shall take the proffitts by this my will unto suche tyme as he be promotid to spirituall dignite
to the yerely valewe of xxx pounds.And likewise that doctor Johannes sysytsion have x li
yerely out of the said landes and tene(men)tis unto suche tyme as he be promotid to one spirituall
dignite to the yerely value of xxli AND allso I will that the said Robert Broke and the said doctor
Johannes shulde be furst promotid by my executours Allso I will that Edwarde Mountague
have yerely iiijli during his liff out of the Manour of Growbye and other landes and ten(emen)tis
in Growbye in the countie of Leic, And that william horewood have yerely out of the said Manor
landis and ten(emen)tis in Growbye  lxvj s viij d for terme of his lyff every of them gevyinge their
counsell to my lady my wiff and to my heires And I will that Elizabeth Stafferton
wif to Cristofer Stafferton have yerely out of the said Manours landes and ten(emen)ts in Growby
aforeaid lxvjs viijd for terme of hir lyff, Allso I will that every of my sonnes Thomas

Someone  might like to check the surname of the good doctor John on line 3  :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 August 18 23:34 BST (UK) »
Snippet 6
Edwarde and John have yerely xli towards their fyndinge untill they come to the age of xv
yeres, And after their come to the age of xv yeres to have every of them yerely xxli towardes
their findinge untill they come to thage of xxi yeres and the same to be perceynd receyind and
taken of the revenues Issues and proffitts of all my manours landes and ten(emen)tis The landes
appointed to this my last will for my said wiff only except duringe hur lyff ALLSO I will that my
sonne Edwarde ymmediatly after he comythe to the age of xxj yeres have my Manours of Bede-
worthe and pakyngton with the appurtenences in the countie of Warwike, and all other my
 landis tenements and hereditaments in bedworthe pakington or ellswhere within the said
countie of Warwicke percell or membies of the said Manours of Bedworthe & Pakyngton
and late in the Tenur occupacion or possession of Arthur lordlily to have and to hold to
the said Edwarde for terme of his lyfe naturall ALLSO I will that my sonne John

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 August 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
Can you go back to line 6 of the very beginning of this will Willow?
You'll see if I have put
'any of my manours, landes rentis........'

I think this 'rentis' should be 'ten(emen)ts'.
Can you change your transcription please.

In my defence you do often get 'lands and rents', and also it was pretty late last night when I was doing this bit!  :)
Now I've got more into this scribe's writing, I'd say it's 'tenements'.
They don't make it easy with all the contractions they used!  :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 August 18 05:18 BST (UK) »
In goldie's reply #9, referring to snippet #5, the phrase is:

...doctour Johannes fysyssion...         [= physician]

I agree with goldie's reappraisal regarding tent(ement)is.

ADDED:

Just a couple of minor suggestions for snippet #6:

...the same to be perceyvid receyvid and taken...        [= perceived, received]

...percell or membres of the...      [= members]

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 August 18 07:55 BST (UK) »
Well done with 'fysyssion' HD. All those 'f's and 's's look the same !  :)
Thanks.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 August 18 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much all of you!!!  :) :) :)

This is so wonderful!

Thank you, Bookbox and goldie and horselydown86, that is amazing, thank you!  :) You have just solved a mystery that has remained unsolved for 500 years, give or take  :) :D :)

Of course I will correct it, goldie, thank you so much to you and Bookbox and horselydown86 again! I am completely in awe of how you do this! All I see when I look at these documents, desperately trying to understand, is squiggly line, squiggly line, bare discernable word, Ooh, I managed a complete sentence!!!, That must mean I have cracked the code! ... No.

Alright, then we definitely know that their sons were called Henry, Edward, Thomas and John. Since they are listed in that order and we know that Henry was the eldest and John the fourth, I think it is safe to assume that Edward was the second and Thomas was the third son! :)

Thank goodness the testator is going through this in an orderly fashion. It is precisely what I had been hoping for.

And how kind of him to secure so much help for his widow! And such a clever way of going about it, too.

(I thought I might include some links to what I have been talking about above, just in case it is of interest to anybody reading this thread :)

Elizabeth Grey, Lady Audley, by Hans Holbein the Younger
https://www.royalcollection.org.uk/collection/422292/elizabeth-lady-audley-1564

This is the book I was talking about: Testamenta Vetusta
https://archive.org/stream/testamentavetus01nicogoog#page/n273/search/Dorset

The incorrect version of our will is on pages 652-653. It was probably also supposed to be on pages 650-651, but those pages aren't there. Instead it is melded together with the previous will on pages 647-649. Of course this mistake might have occurred in scanning, but it really has lead to a host of strange mistakes! As I mentioned above, I read somewhere that will was written on a certain date in 1521. The 1521 is probably a misreading of the '21 Henry VIII' in the previous will, i.e. 21 years into Henry VIII's reign. 1509 + 21 = 1530.

And also that Thomas Grey first wanted to be buried wherever it was convenient, 'My body to be buried where it shall please God to dispose of it', that is to say wherever he happened to die (very uncommon among the higher classes), but that he then wanted to be dug up again and be buried next to his father(!). Now, reinterrals did happen, but usually at the initiative of the descendants precisely because the ancestor had not been put in the appropriate place in the first place. One could perhaps have understood it if he were about to die somewhere where it would have been very inconvenient to transport the body from, but it undeniably sounded a bit strange :)

Of course, printing and scanning mistakes can happen. However, the entire translation is riddled with grievous and inexplicable mistakes!

Even as little as I understand of the original document, even I can see that, especially with your kind help here.

The footnote actually states that they have a son Leonard, and omits any mention of an Edward, when, as we can we see, it is in actuality the completely opposite.

The next footnote states that Mary was his natural daughter, when nothing I have read so far nor the will itself indicate this. But we will get to that in good time, I guess :)

It is possible the author has conflated her with another Mary in another will earlier in the book, that of Elizabeth, Lady Scrope, in 1518. '[T]o Mary, daughter in base unto Thomas Grey, Maquess of Dorset, my bed that my Lord Marquess was wont to lie in.'

That Mary was probably the daughter of Thomas Grey, 1st Marquis of Dorset, however, not the 2nd. He had a bit of reputation for such things. From Susan Higginbotham's article here: http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/posts/thomas-grey-marquis-of-dorset-elizabeth-woodvilles-oldest-son/ 'Dorset and Hastings had a “deadly feud” based on the mistresses they had attempted to steal from each other.' This feud would have deadly consequences also for parties not involved in the actual affairs.

Besides, Lady Scrope speaks of him as if he has already passed, which would be correct for the 1st, but not 2nd, Marquis of Dorset in 1518.

Besides, another puzzling footnote is based on a puzzling section of the will, a section I refuse to believe is correctly translated. That section of the will states that: 'I will that the marriage which hath been solemnized between my daughter Anne and Henry Willoughby, Esquire, son and heir-apparent of Sir Edward Willoughby, Knt. be dissolved.'

I refuse to believe that this is correct. One, the marriage took place, they would have at least three children together, secondly, why in the world would he write that in a will when he presumably not only was the one who had arranged the marriage in the first place, but he could dissolve it far easier in life?

Of course I might yet be proved wrong on that score :)

I am beginning to understand why are always encouraged to go look at the original sources, lol.)

Thank you so much again! You are wonderful, all of you  :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 August 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Snippets 7 & 8

have Immediatly after he comythe to the age of xxi yeres have Bardon parke, and the
pasture of Bardon with thappurtenances in the countie of Leic for terme of his lyf naturall
Allso I will that my sonne Thomas have ymmediatly after he comithe to thage of xxj
yeres, and after the dethe of my sister Anne Gray late wif to my brother John Grey

and nowe wif to Richarde Clemente the Manour of Bosworthe with thappurtenances in the
countie of Leicester, And all my landes and ten(emen)ts and other hereditaments in Bosworth
aforesaide to have to hym for the terme of his lif naturall, And in case my said sonne Thomas
happyn to come to the said age of xxj yeres lyvynge my sister Anne Grey I will that then
Immediatly after he come(th) to the age of xxj yeres, And after the deathe of the Ladye Elizabeth
Cowntes of Oxforde late wif to the Lorde Beamont shalhave my manours landis and ten(emen)ts
in Creke and Cleycotton with thappurtenances in the countie of Northampton for the terme of the
liff of my said sister Anne Graye ALLSO I will to eiche of my daughters not maried unto
the tyme they be married xx li sterling towardes their findinge to be perceyvid levid And
taken yerely by myne executours out of all my manours landis and tene(men)ts except before exceptid
ALLSO I will my daughter marye have towardes hir marriage one thousand poundes so that
she marye by thadvise of my wif, and after the deathe of my wif by thadvise of the more
parte of myn executours, ALLSO I will that every other of my daughters that be not maried
at the tyme of my decease have to wardes their mariage one thousand poundes so that thei

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, goldie!!!  :) :) :) This is so wonderful! We are really getting to some good parts now  :)

This was absolutely splendid!

Alright, then we definitely know that their sons were called Henry, Edward, Thomas and John. Since they are listed in that order and we know that Henry was the eldest and John the fourth, I think it is safe to assume that Edward was the second and Thomas was the third son! :)

Actually, scratch that. 

Before one criticises others ...  ::) ;D

The order he lists them in is actually (Henry as eldest son by himself), and then Thomas, Edward and John. I think I got carried away by the fact that he bequests first to Henry and then to Edward, but it would appear as if the inheritance he intends for Thomas is tied up in the dower of his former sister-in-law Anne, his brother John's widow, who is now remarried.

If I understood that bequest correctly :)

That sentence is actually quite famous! It led to centuries of assuming that the mentioned Anne was his blood sister and not his sister-sister-in-law, and led to countless confusion. It is, ironically, one of the few sentences that is actually quoted correctly in the translation I linked to above.

It's funny, because all this time, the time I have been researching this, I thought it meant that he left her something in his will, even something grand, and it seemed, when I read the other transcription, at the expense of his son Thomas. And then it was the other way around!

He sounds positively annoyed that she is still alive and tying up his son's inheritance, lololol.

I meant to ask about this, but, *coughs*, that post may have already gotten long enough ...  ;D ::)

But what does 'spiritual dignity' mean? Does anyone know? Is it coming of age? But later he uses that exact term, so ...

Thank you so much yet again! You are so brilliant!  :) :) :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
Not sure about "Spiritual dignity" Willow.
Like you I thought he meant their coming of age, but then later he actually talks about them attaining 21.
I'd be interested in finding out if there is another meaning though!