Author Topic: Parish registers, the IGI and all that...  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Anette Flewers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Floating through time, like a leaf on the wind
    • View Profile
Re: Parish registers, the IGI and all that...
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 11 August 05 11:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Sillgen

a valid point and one certainly worth mentioning.  I shall bear that in mind during my searches. I'm quite encouraged and hopeful that Fanny Marsden christened in 1794 with parents Betty and Ambrose is a good candidate for my ancestor who goes on to name a son Ambrose and a daughter Betty. 

Having danced a gig at my good fortune, having an LDS Family History Center a mere 3 minutes walk away, I found the place closed up and empty yesterday when I called in. Luckily I noticed a car outside there today and popped in and find they've just changed their opening hours which is why the place was empty yesterday when I called in!  I can't tell you how relieved I am as I dont drive and would find getting to the next nearest one very difficult.  How lucky I am!  :)

As suggested by Casalguidi I've ordered the parish registers so I can check them for myself to see if I can glean any more information from them.

Many thanks for your help and comments so far.

Netty

My email address is not working sorry
LEE - Cheshire
FLEWERS - Hackney (but interested in all!)
TIMM/TYMM - Derbyshire and Cheshire
BRADSHAW - Derbyshire and Cheshire
CORBETT - Lancaster and Wales
and a whole host of others!

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 11 August 05 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again Netty,

Do tell us what you find in the (film of the) parish registers!  Let's hope that there is conclusive information there.  I for one will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.  Be prepared to find nothing more - but there's always the possibility that there will be wonderful additional information.    In both Scotland and England I've come across fantastic information.  For instance, in Scotland, an entry which said something along the lines of John Smith jnr of Farm X married Jane Doe - which showed that the John Smith who married Jane Doe was the son of John Smith, and not of David Smith as had been thought.  And in England, a birth/baptism entry which listed the names and occupations of the baby's parents and of the baby's grandparents!  OK, so those are the really lucky finds - but it's why I always encourage people to look at the parish films.

Incidentally, there seemed to be quite a number of Ambrose MARSDENs in the area over the years - perhaps all are related?

JAP

Offline Anette Flewers

• RootsChat Extra
  • Floating through time, like a leaf on the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 09 September 05 17:16 BST (UK) »
Hi JAP and all

just a quick update.  I've recieved the film of the parish registers for Hope but it doesnt give me any further information except the name of the 2 witnesses. One of them, somebody called Woodroofe appears as a witness on every single marriage (profesional witness maybe?) and the other name is rather unclear but doesnt appear to share the same surname as either the bride or the groom.

Shame, but at least I've confirmed that the dates and names given on the IGI are correct.

Netty
My email address is not working sorry
LEE - Cheshire
FLEWERS - Hackney (but interested in all!)
TIMM/TYMM - Derbyshire and Cheshire
BRADSHAW - Derbyshire and Cheshire
CORBETT - Lancaster and Wales
and a whole host of others!

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 September 05 06:54 BST (UK) »
Netty,

How very disappointing.  It's horrible when that happens.  Better luck next time!

JAP

Offline Woodies

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 April 06 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am  new to roots chat. I saw your interest in the witness named Woodroofe. It was Ellis or Nathan Woodroofe who would have witnesses the wedding . They were the parish clerks of St Peters Church, Hope and my ancestors. The Woodroofe family held this office for over 200 years passed from father to son. They also ran the Inn next door (the Woodroofe Arms), handy for the odd tipple after church!!!.
Hope this helps.
Gill