Author Topic: Jamieson in Toronto  (Read 6728 times)

Online gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jamieson in Toronto
« Reply #36 on: Friday 12 April 24 23:34 BST (UK) »
Nearly right. Glen was always thought to be my mother's brother, therefore my uncle. But  found out later in life he was my mother's cousin.  His mother, my Grans sister, died giving birth to Glen  so he was brought up by my Gran and Grandpa, my mother's parents. We were in fact 1st cousins once removed.
You are from South Wales. I was in contact with someone from your family a few years ago.
Regards Gerry
scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Online Welly07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 12 April 24 23:44 BST (UK) »
Yeah iv always known but dint know how I did , possibly over hearing conversations when I was younger.
I know nothing about his cousins/siblings or that generation.
If you'd happy to I'd live to get some information from you ?

Online gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 13 April 24 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi  Glen's mother was Maggie Jamieson  b Lochwinnoch 8 April 1909. Died 1933.
She had 3 sisters, Agnes Jamieson who married David Scott.  They adopted Glen. Elizabeth Jamieson she married Ken Brake in Canada.  She left the money in her will.
Mary(May) Jamieson married John Benson. 
A brother John who died aged 3.
Another brother Hugh Jamieson.  He went to Canada.  No knowledge of him.
Gerry
scott, cumming, jamieson, bertram, Mc Donald(from Antrim), sharp, miller, brodie, duffy, thomson, McRae, johnston, forbes, glen

Online Welly07

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 13 April 24 21:29 BST (UK) »
I made a post on here because I was looking for Annie and Hugh,  there's a bit of info on there. Maybe some to add to your search .
It's under family mystery. 

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 13 April 24 22:23 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage for Hugh….

Hugh MacDonald Jamieson age 36 Cabinet Maker born Scotland
Address 197 Dovercourt Road Toronto Ontario
Father James Jamieson born Scotland
Mother Ann MacDonald
To
Elizabeth Kerr Semple age 32 Office Clerk of Edmonton Alberta.
At
Toronto 09 April 1937

The image with more info can be found on Ancestry. It should also be available on the familysearch website (free), I think.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 13 April 24 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB   Ann or Annie Mcdonald married name Jamieson is a mystery not much known of her after she went to Canada and left family in Scotland.  She did meet or stay with her daughter Elizabeth Brake in Toronto some time before she died.  On Elizabeth s grave plot in Toronto there is a small stone with the name Ann McKinley. Died 1966. I wonder if she us Ann Mcdonald.  Maybe remarried. ?

Online gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 14 April 24 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Welly 07,  read your posts on family mysteries. Interesting info on Hugh Jamieson and his marriage. I found some old family photos and post cards when my mum died and it might indicate that Hugh had a son called John a possible cousin of Glen's.
No knowledge of Glen's fathers side, but on his mother's he had 4 cousins. 
Anna(Annie) Scott,  Peter Scott and Elizabeth Scott.
Also Martin Benson.  He was an artist and lived in Denmark with his Danish family.
Regards Gerry

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 14 April 24 19:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks PB   Ann or Annie Mcdonald married name Jamieson is a mystery not much known of her after she went to Canada and left family in Scotland.  She did meet or stay with her daughter Elizabeth Brake in Toronto some time before she died.  On Elizabeth s grave plot in Toronto there is a small stone with the name Ann McKinley. Died 1966. I wonder if she us Ann Mcdonald. Maybe remarried. ?

See your other thread with the information eileenwilson and Run Kitty found for you  :- reply 20 shows the marriage of Ann McDonald (she uses her mothers maiden name Bertram, perhaps to hide the fact she was already married in Scotland to James Jamieson)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=881660.18

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online gerry65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 14 April 24 19:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks again  Sandra looks like Annie Jamieson nee Mcdonald married McKinlay while still married to James Jamieson.  Looks like Bigamy.
I wonder if Annie and McKinlay were in a relationship in Lochwinnoch and both decided to leave for Canada. Annie left a husband and 5 children under 15 to go away. Families eh.
Regards Gerry