Author Topic: Simon Sweetland b 1705 Kilmington  (Read 1936 times)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simon Sweetland b 1705 Kilmington
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I just wondered if some one could help me with a possible look up please?

I am trying to find the parents and siblings of Simon Sweetland b 1705 at Kilmington in Devon. I also wondered if there was a record of his marriage to the Mary below please?

I think I might have asked before and was told the register for around this time was lost but wondered if it might have appeared since my last writing please. There are so many little clusters of Sweetlands born in the surrounding villages and I really want to find out how my family are linked!

Thanks in advance for reading this

Best wishes,
Emma

Birth 1705 • Kilmington, Devon, England

Spouse possibly Mary Lidon/Lydon/Lidden

Birth and Death of Daughter Mary Sweetland Miss(1726–1726)
1726 • Kilmington, Devon, England

Birth of Daughter Ann Sweetland Miss(1727–1728)

Birth of Son Simon Sweetland(1729–1813)
13 July 1729 • Kilmington, Devon, England

Residence 9 Oct 1730 • Kilmington, Devon, England (apprentice register)

Birth of Daughter Mary Sweetland(1732–)

Birth of Daughter Sarah Sweetland Miss(1733–)

Birth of Daughter Susannah Sweetland Miss(1739–)

Death 1762

Hi Emma,

I do have a lineage to Simon Sweetland :))

His Son John Sweetland MD is my GGG Grandfather. I will look to see if in my documentation I have any information and get back to you :)

Nice to meet you cousin!

Adrienne

Dear Adrienne,

Nice to meet you too cousin, will keep you posted if I find anything new :)

Did you try the Familysearch Catalog? They have the BTs for Kilmington which contain a lot of the years you're after. You will need to go to a Family History Library at an LDS Church to view them unless you have an LDS identifier. Many of the PRs/BTs in the catalog aren't indexed, so you'll need to do a brute force search. They also have a transcription of the PRs.

To me, the Catalog is one of the most underrated genealogy sources around.

Keith

Dear Keith,

Thanks you very much for the suggestion, I had a look on the website and found some enteries but couldn't see the copies of the PR so didn't give it much thought. I didn't think of going to a Family History Library so will look into it.
Much appreciated.

Best wishes,
Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 22:33 GMT (UK) »
You can view the Kilmington BTs online through Familysearch, at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L93K-29QQ-6?mode=g&cat=1834065 . As usual, they are not complete. They have 1702-1705 but then jump to 1713. (1705 is on image 31.) I didn't see any Sweetlands in a quick scan of those few years, but there is a Peter son of John Sweetland in 1699 who could be a brother.

Simon Swetland married Mary Lidon in 1725, image 43.

David

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 January 20 21:17 GMT (UK) »
You can view the Kilmington BTs online through Familysearch, at https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-L93K-29QQ-6?mode=g&cat=1834065 . As usual, they are not complete. They have 1702-1705 but then jump to 1713. (1705 is on image 31.) I didn't see any Sweetlands in a quick scan of those few years, but there is a Peter son of John Sweetland in 1699 who could be a brother.

Simon Swetland married Mary Lidon in 1725, image 43.

David

Dear David,

Thanks ever so much for the link, it was great to see the records and thank you for taking the time to look up those of interest too with the page numbers, that is really kind of you.
I suspect Simon was bap 1700 or 1702 which isn't there but I will definately investigate Peter as a potential brother. A Peter dies in 1701 but whether adult or child is unknown but in Kilmington when Simon is having children so it a Peter and Joane Swetland. Interestingly in 1716 an Ann Swetland is baptised at Kilmington ages 15 which could be a sister as Simon was baptised in Membury aged 16 following starting his apprentiship aged 15 (poor law apprentiship - original parish was Kilmington). Perhaps the parents died when they were young. I am going to see if Peter was apprenticed.
I just wouldn't have known how to look for the register pages so thanks again for the link and the Peter lead,
Best wishes,
Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline oldhippy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 January 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I was born and lived in Whitford not far from Kilmington. Not sure if the person is anything to do with your Sweetland family. In Seaton Junction which is not far from Kilmington lives a person called Keith Sweetland with his wife and I think they have children. Keith would be a bit younger than me and I'm 65.
Please scan photos at 300dpi or higher. Thank you.

Hambling. Mexter. Taylor. Bailey. Bolton. Boyse. Davenport. Fisher. Godfrey. Goff. Hawkins. Holmes. Jarvis. Joseph. Leek. Morgan. Osborne. Ross. Sharp. Webber.

Websites
http://hamblingfamily.tribalpages.com

http://taylorfamily1.tribalpages.com

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 February 20 15:19 GMT (UK) »
I was born and lived in Whitford not far from Kilmington. Not sure if the person is anything to do with your Sweetland family. In Seaton Junction which is not far from Kilmington lives a person called Keith Sweetland with his wife and I think they have children. Keith would be a bit younger than me and I'm 65.

Hi, Thank you for getting back to me, that is really interesting and Keith is probably related somehow. Most of my remaining Sweetland family now live in Chard, I will get in touch and see if they know him as maybe he will know something to tie Simon Sweetland b c1700 down. Best wishes,
Emma
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Smith (Woburn Sands)