Author Topic: Joseph Henry Tucker - 3rd Batt Old IRA  (Read 973 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Henry Tucker - 3rd Batt Old IRA
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 August 18 15:52 BST (UK) »
Ahhh  http://www.nationalarchives.ie/search-the-archives/ just gets one to the Search page, not a Link to actual result.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 August 18 16:12 BST (UK) »
A couple of years back i done a family tree for a friend whose father had the full black and tan medals,my friend went to Sligo i think and got his full record.
The interesting thing is his father does not appear anywhere in the Bureau of Military Records other than 1922 in Irish Army Census as a Cpl in Killarney,Kerry he was a Dublin man, even the 1922 census only gives his date of attestation no next of kin no address.
This man was also born 1900

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 August 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
Not all the Old IRA records are on the Military Archives site yet, although I would have expected the Dublin ones to be there by now.
They started with people who took part in 1916 and are working out from there.
I got my grandfather's (Westmeath) by sending for it as I knew he had got a pension but he still isn't on the Military Archives site.
On the other hand they have records for an 11 year old boy from Kildare who took part in 1916.

Don't know about everyone else but I'm finding that site very difficult to find anything on lately.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 August 18 17:24 BST (UK) »

I thought the IRA was a secret org?

It was which is why the records are not service records as such but records from after 1922 such as medal records, pension application records and witness statements.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 31 August 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Another thought
If he was Anti-Treaty he is won't have joined the National Army so won't be in the 1922 Census also Anti-Treaty men didn't get medals or were allowed to apply for pension until the second round, can't remember the year off the top of my head but I think it was in the 1940s, this was my Grandfathers position so I think that his why his records aren't online yet.