Author Topic: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742  (Read 3715 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742
« on: Monday 03 September 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

The above people were my 7x great grandparents.

They had a Clandestine marriage at The Fleet Prison. On the original image on Find My Past, it states that John was a Weaver of Stepney, and was a Batchelor. It also states that Mary was a minor.

There are a few family trees on "Ancestry" that give John's father as Robert Fleetwood and Jane Perry, married in 1713. They have John being baptised in 1720, at St. Andrew Undershaft, London. This Robert was baptised on the 7th of March 1685, in London. That Robert was the son of another Robert who was baptised in 1659 in Chalfont St. Giles. His father George was a Regicide in the Civil war, and was knighted in 1656 by Oliver Cromwell.

Anyway, regarding the origins of John Fleetwood who was married in 1742, I have come across a few queries:

The John Fleetwood baptised at St. Andrew Undershaft, in 1720 may well have been a son of Robert Fleetwood who was a Glass Seller. And on both Find My Past, and on Ancestry, there is the original image and transcriptions of John Fleetwood in 1735 becoming an apprentice glass seller:

"Apprentice year   1735
Livery company   Glass-seller
Details   Fleetwood John, son of Robert, citizen and glass seller (deceased), to John Fleetwood, 19 Jun 1735, Glass-sellers' Company
Father's occupation   citizen and glass seller":

"London Apprenticeship Abstracts, 1442-1850 Transcription": Find My Past.co.uk: © Cliff Webb.

This John's father, Robert was buried in 1721 at St. Andrew Undershaft.
If this is the same John Fleetwood who married Mary Mucklow in 1742, it just seems strange to me that his occupation would have been put down as a Weaver. Unless of course he decided to not finish his apprenticeship/ came upon hard times and then became a Weaver?

There is another baptism of a John Fleetwood on Find My Past, who was a son of another John Fleetwood who was a Weaver of Cinammon Street, Wapping. This is right near to Stepney.
But the only problem I have found with that is this John's full name was put down as: John Eaton Fleetwood. Also, he was baptised in 1729, and I think the transcription on Find My Past, gives his age as being 16 days at the time of his baptism.
If this was the same John Fleetwood who married in 1742, you may think that on the original image, they would both be put down on the register as minors would they not?

John and Mary's first child John Fleetwood, seems to have not been baptised until three years after their marriage. He was baptised in Whitechapel on Christmas day, 1745.
So this may give some weight to the fact that Mary Mucklow was indeed a minor when she married in 1742.
The only Mary Mucklow that I can find was a daughter of a William Mucklow, and Alice baptised in Holborn. The first one was baptised in 1730. And then according to the transcription on Find My Past, there was another one baptised with the same parents names in 1732 in Holborn.

This would mean that Mary Mucklow would have been 10/ 11 years old at the most when she married John Fleetwood in 1742.
Does anyone please know if 10 or 11 was around the age that some girls may have had a Clandestine marriage at? I can't seem to find any statistics regarding ages for these times.

Any information regarding this would be gratefully accepted.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Fleetwood and Mary Mucklow, married 3rd of December 1742
« Reply #1 on: Monday 03 September 18 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hello
Have you seen the settlement certificate for John Fleetwood in London Lives for 1789.
He says 13 years ago -1776 he was in Spitalfields lodging at Flower de luce Crt Spitalfields and now he is at St Botoplh Aldgate with no settlement since.
Frustratingly there is no mention of his occupation.

There is a baptism of a John Fleetwood at St Botolph Aldersgate 10.10.1715 s of Miles and Ann Fleetwood.
Miles and Anna seem to have moved to Shoreditch for the baptism of their daughter Frances 26 Dec 1728.He is described as a Gent of Moorfields.

Also on the site is the PCC  Will of John Fleetwood glass seller in 1760 who presumably is the son of Robert.(Full entry on Ancestry mentions son Robert and nephews and nieces).

ps there is a Mary Muckle d of John a baker of Ratcliffe baptised at Stepney 22.3.1722 .
Could that be her?

Ciderdrinker

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 September 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
I researched the Fleetwood family of Glass-Sellers carefully about six years ago (looking for a connection to my own Fleetwood line, which turned out not to exist.).  Extensive research had been done on the family by others before me.

I can guarantee that your weaver is not related to the Glass-Sellers of St Andrew Undershaft.

I apologize for stating this baldly without providing evidence to back it up, but my memory of the family is now hazy.  I do recall that one John Fleetwood of the Glass-Sellers family married Barbara Wynne in 1754.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 September 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hello
Have you seen the settlement certificate for John Fleetwood in London Lives for 1789.
He says 13 years ago -1776 he was in Spitalfields lodging at Flower de luce Crt Spitalfields and now he is at St Botoplh Aldgate with no settlement since.
Frustratingly there is no mention of his occupation.

There is a baptism of a John Fleetwood at St Botolph Aldersgate 10.10.1715 s of Miles and Ann Fleetwood.
Miles and Anna seem to have moved to Shoreditch for the baptism of their daughter Frances 26 Dec 1728.He is described as a Gent of Moorfields.

Also on the site is the PCC  Will of John Fleetwood glass seller in 1760 who presumably is the son of Robert.(Full entry on Ancestry mentions son Robert and nephews and nieces).

ps there is a Mary Muckle d of John a baker of Ratcliffe baptised at Stepney 22.3.1722 .
Could that be her?

Ciderdrinker

Hello there,

I haven't seen the will of John Fleetwood dated 1760. I don't subscribe to Ancestry. I did not see the baptism of John son of Miles either. Thank you.
I will look at the baptism of Mary Muckle, Stepney in 1722.
I must admit though, I'm edging more towards her being the daughter of William baptised in either 1730 or 1732: If she was that age at marriage it may explain why there were no baptisms of children between the pair (that I can find anyway), before three years into their marriage.
And also, if Mary was aged 20 at the time of marriage would she still have been put down on the register as a minor?

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 September 18 16:50 BST (UK) »
I researched the Fleetwood family of Glass-Sellers carefully about six years ago (looking for a connection to my own Fleetwood line, which turned out not to exist.).  Extensive research had been done on the family by others before me.

I can guarantee that your weaver is not related to the Glass-Sellers of St Andrew Undershaft.

I apologize for stating this baldly without providing evidence to back it up, but my memory of the family is now hazy.  I do recall that one John Fleetwood of the Glass-Sellers family married Barbara Wynne in 1754.

Okay, that rules those out then. Thank you.  I don't suppose you remember coming across a Miles Fleetwood who married an Ann/ Anna do you? :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 03 September 18 17:16 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose you remember coming across a Miles Fleetwood who married an Ann/ Anna do you? :)

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of that marriage.  It's not a Glass Seller family marriage.

Generally speaking, the first name Miles is associated with the Fleetwoods of Aldwinckle in Northamptonshire.

If you would like, I can send an email to a Fleetwood researcher with whom I have corresponded over the years (but not recently) to draw her attention to your thread.  She has an interest in all known Fleetwood lines.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 September 18 17:18 BST (UK) »
I don't suppose you remember coming across a Miles Fleetwood who married an Ann/ Anna do you? :)

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of that marriage.  It's not a Glass Seller family marriage.

Generally speaking, the first name Miles is associated with the Fleetwoods of Aldwinckle in Northamptonshire.

If you would like, I can send an email to a Fleetwood researcher with whom I have corresponded over the years (but not recently) to draw her attention to your thread.  She has an interest in all known Fleetwood lines.

If you could do that please that would be fantastic.
Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 03 September 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
I have sent the email with a link to your thread.

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 September 18 18:03 BST (UK) »
I have sent the email with a link to your thread.

Much obliged.  :)