Author Topic: Francis Bready Haydock  (Read 6803 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Francis Bready Haydock
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:26 BST (UK) »
Sorry re previous post

There was a Mother, Mary and son Roger so I thought it was Annette’s found family but then realised. I didn’t want to complicate matters. There are several Rogers.

As has been pointed out Haydocks abound in the area.

Mary does show Ireland in 1861 - is she anywhere else?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:29 BST (UK) »
deleted information - need to check further ::)

Think this Mary was married to a John - son Roger's baptism at RC church, Blackburn. b.1/4/1831, bp.3/4/1831.
Confused. I cant see a link to my Francis Bready Haydock, whose father is Henry and mother possibly Mary,

Annette

I was quoting the 1851 census details that had been posted by Heywood but she has subsequently deleted it!

I don't think Francis was being truthful stating father as 'Henry Haydock, Engineer'.   There appears to be no such person.   The only Henry Haydock in Lancashire was a farmer.   Either father was a complete fabrication or possibly really a Henry Brady, engineer.   There don't seem to have been any Brady's living in Samlesbury at any time.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BamptonHatherleigh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 19:53 BST (UK) »
deleted information - need to check further ::)

Think this Mary was married to a John - son Roger's baptism at RC church, Blackburn. b.1/4/1831, bp.3/4/1831.
Confused. I cant see a link to my Francis Bready Haydock, whose father is Henry and mother possibly Mary,

Annette

I was quoting the 1851 census details that had been posted by Heywood but she has subsequently deleted it!

I don't think Francis was being truthful stating father as 'Henry Haydock, Engineer'.   There appears to be no such person.   The only Henry Haydock in Lancashire was a farmer.   Either father was a complete fabrication or possibly really a Henry Brady, engineer.   There don't seem to have been any Brady's living in Samlesbury at any time.

Annette

Well if thats the case the plot thickens! Would his naval records show anything more?
Snell Chulmleigh,Hatherleigh,Bampton/Devon,Middlesex London.
Bell Nottingham, Clevedon, London, Cumberland
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Sorry re previous post

There was a Mother, Mary and son Roger so I thought it was Annette’s found family but then realised. I didn’t want to complicate matters. There are several Rogers.

As has been pointed out Haydocks abound in the area.

Mary does show Ireland in 1861 - is she anywhere else?

I havent found her anywhere else, there is a Mary Haydock death in E Stonehouse which may be her in 1874.
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:32 BST (UK) »

How about:

Samlesbury
Henry Haydock 52 widower farmer
Hugh 20
Henry 19
Thomas 16
William 12

Matching baptisms for this family at R.C. chapel, Salmesbury, parents Henry & Winifred (Tootall):

John 1827 (Jan.); Hugh 1830; Henry 1832; Thomas 1834; George 1836. Baptism register in CRS Lancashire Registers volume 4 ends at 1837, so Wiiliam isn't included.
There were also children of Roger & Helen baptised in similar span of years, including an unnamed one in March 1827. Other Haydock couples and individuals are on almost every page. i noticed that quite a few brides and grooms from Salmesbury married at Brindle R.C. chapel.
It was originally intended to include Brownedge registers in Lancashire Registers 4 but the volume would have been too large.
 I repeat what I said in an earlier post; baptisms at Brindle after 1817 are not included. If Francis was born at/near Salmesbury c1827 he may have been baptised at another chapel. He may have been baptised at Salmesbury but not written-up. A few baptisms were on a slip of paper "found" and stuck in register. Who knows how many more were not found?
There's some biographical information about a father & son John Haydock in priest's notes for a wedding in 1836. He wrote copious notes about some parishioners. Nothing to help here. Register includes recipes and other ephemera.
                                       ~ ~ ~ ~
Marriage St Bartholomew, Great Harwood, 1826
Henry Harwood, farmer, bachelor, Gt. Harwood
Winifred Tootell, spinster, Gt. Harwood
(LAN OPC) Great Harwood is N.E. of Blackburn; Salmesbury is W. of Blackburn.

Birth registration William Haydock 1838, mother's maiden surname Tootall. (I forgot sub district.)

Death registration Winifred Haydock, aged 40, Walton-le-Dale sub district, 1839.  Salmesbury is a couple of miles from Walton-le-Dale which is near Preston.
(Both from Lancashire BMD)

Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:40 BST (UK) »
Here is that family in 1841

SAlmesbury,
Walton le Dale Blackburn
Henry 40 farmer
Ann 20
John 14
Hugh 12
Henry 9
Thomas 7
William 2

on the same page are a Thomas Haydock and family and a John Haydock and family.

None have a Francis with them.

Like you I am not sure at this stage that this Henry is the man named as Francis's father. But the Salmesury link means that we may be getting nearer.

Children of Thomas & Catherine were baptised at Salmesbury R.C.. A John Haydock married at the chapel 1836.
Henry's wife, Winifred died 1839, death registered Walton-le-Dale. Going by baptisms, John was eldest son of marriage of Henry & Winifred.
Cowban

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 22:46 BST (UK) »

SAlmesbury,
Walton le Dale Blackburn
Henry 40 farmer
Ann 20
John 14
Hugh 12
Henry 9
Thomas 7
William 2

Like you I am not sure at this stage that this Henry is the man named as Francis's father. But the Salmesury link means that we may be getting nearer.

Children of Thomas & Catherine were baptised at Salmesbury R.C.. A John Haydock married at the chapel 1836.
Henry's wife, Winifred died 1839, death registered Walton-le-Dale. Going by baptisms, John was eldest son of marriage of Henry & Winifred.

Does this mean that it seems to be impossible to find a birth reg or baptism of Francis Bready Haydock Snr? Would their be more solid info with his marine records? Of course the above maybe my family but feels awfully like a shot in the dark at the moment, but thanks so much for helping.  It seemed to be going so well, then bang. dead end!
Oxley London
Field Bristol
He(a)ydock Bristol Devon

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:25 BST (UK) »
Re reply #60. You will definitely not find a birth registration for Francis because his birth predated civil registration of births, marriages & deaths.

It may not be possible to find a baptism for him.
1. We are not entirely sure of his name.
2. Only information about his place of birth is from a census. It may not be correct. Salmesbury may have been the place where he thought he was born, or the first place he remembered living. His father and/or mother may have moved around following work. They may have left the country for a while.
3. He named a father and stated father's occupation when he married. This information was not necessarily truthful. (I embarked on an extended wild-goose chase for an ancestor, going by father's name on marriage certificate, to find later that it was made-up. It might have been a half-truth.in some cases.)
4. If he wasn't C. of E.: His baptism record may not have survived. It may have survived in an archive somewhere. It may have survived, damaged.
Catholic and Nonconformist registers were not official records like C. of E. The registers of Salmesbury and Brindle Catholic chapels contain records of ceremonies which were illegal at the time. Catholic registers were simple notebooks, small enough to fit in priest's pocket or saddlebag. Some priests took their notebooks with them when moving to another area. Some got lost. Some don't start until later in 19thC. Some have long gaps - missing volumes or blank pages. Lancashire, with it's unbroken Catholic tradition, has good coverage compared to most counties.
 Non Conformist registers are also tricky to track down.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 04 September 18 23:42 BST (UK) »

SAlmesbury,
Walton le Dale Blackburn
Henry 40 farmer
Ann 20
John 14
Hugh 12
Henry 9
Thomas 7
William 2

Does this mean that it seems to be impossible to find a birth reg or baptism of Francis Bready Haydock Snr? Would their be more solid info with his marine records? Of course the above maybe my family but feels awfully like a shot in the dark at the moment, but thanks so much for helping.  It seemed to be going so well, then bang. dead end!

I doubt this Henry was the father of Francis. The only 2 things to link them are Salmesbury and the name Henry. They may have been related. Haydock is such a common name. (Also Heydock. Haddock/Hadock less often.) If there was a Henry Haydock from Salmesbury who was an engineer, he may have left home as a young man and returned sometimes. Henry Haydock, the farmer, seems to have remained a famer. If he was farming on his own account, i.e. not working for his father or another farmer, he should be on tithe records, 1820/30s, depending on when his area was assessed. There are accompanying maps.

Btw I don't know who Ann was on 1841 census. Relationships were not stated and ages of adults were rounded down so her age was likely 20-24.
Cowban