Author Topic: Christopher jordan ,dornoch 1916  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher jordan ,dornoch 1916
« Reply #36 on: Monday 17 September 18 00:22 BST (UK) »
You need to sign up (free) with www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Click on 'Search our records'
Scroll down to 'Search for people' & click
Then click on 'Legal Records'
Then click on 'Wills & Testaments'
Insert his name & the yr 1920

Hope you manage with my instructions  ;D

I just hope he's your man!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Diarmuidgannon1916

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 17 September 18 00:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie
Diarmuid

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 17 September 18 18:20 BST (UK) »
Rosinish dug out references to a Robert Cowan living at somewhere mysteriously called Skibo Barracks near Dornoch, along with many other skilled workers born elsewhere in Scotland. I’ve got a theory for what was going on here.

Andrew Carnegie, the famous son of Dunfermline who made good in America sold his massive steelworks there in 1901 making him the richest man in the world. He had purchased the near derelict Skibo Castle in Sutherland and engaged Scottish architects Ross and Macbeth to transform the site into a huge baronial mansion, with all its outbuildings, with most of the work being carried out between 1899 and 1903. He spent astronomical sums of money ensuring all the work was carried out to the very highest standards on this huge structure including the most advanced plumbing that money could buy, much imported from America. There was also a glass roofed swimming pavilion with a full length Olympic sized indoor swimming pool with attached Turkish baths, all of the most luxurious standard. The first electric lift in the UK was installed by no less a person than Otis himself and the castle had its own power station. Such was the stir that this project created that even King Edward VII visited to see for himself and pick up ideas for Buckingham Palace.

Clearly large numbers of highly skilled workmen had to be sourced and few could be found locally so contracts would have been awarded to distant companies to provide a workforce to be housed on site. All of the plumbers were born in Ayrshire. Today we tend to think of the word Barracks being a military term but at that time the word was used widely to refer to high density accommodation, often for the very poorest levels of society. The term had certainly been used locally for accommodation for the poor provided by the Duke of Sutherland in Dornoch and Loth. Apart from the Skibo Barracks there were also barracks for workmen at nearby Overskibo.

Given the scale and complexity of the wider plumbing installation it seems likely that once the castle was up and running the original contractors had an ongoing maintenance arrangement of sorts and there may even have been a small permanent presence. Perhaps there were upgradings and additions from time to time.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 17 September 18 18:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Imber...

What an interesting read indeed!

I can't believe I enjoy reading such things so much as I absolutely detested History at school possibly because it seemed fictional  :-\

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 17 September 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
I absolutely detested History at school possibly because it seemed fictional  :-\
So did I, because it was always boring stuff like taxes and acts of parliament and writing essays. Quite enjoyed the kings, queens and battles, and never had a problem with dates. Loathed Scripture/Religious Knowledge though.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 17 September 18 20:24 BST (UK) »
Got  stuff from Scottish archive today Annie got will and death cert Walter cowan died at the ripe old age of 81 there a lot  to look at .
Diarmuid.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 17 September 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
Great to hear Diarmuid but...

Do you think this is your man?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 17 September 18 22:09 BST (UK) »
I absolutely detested History at school possibly because it seemed fictional  :-\
So did I, because it was always boring stuff like taxes and acts of parliament and writing essays. Quite enjoyed the kings, queens and battles, and never had a problem with dates. Loathed Scripture/Religious Knowledge though.

If I'm being completely honest, there's little I recall from my lessons...in one ear & out the other  ;D

Boring is an understatement in my book although now I wish I'd been more enthusiastic  :-[

C'est la vie  :D

Annie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 17 September 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
Don't understand Annie