Author Topic: Christopher jordan ,dornoch 1916  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Christopher jordan ,dornoch 1916
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
Don't understand Annie

Ditto  ;D

Do you mean you don't understand my question 'do you think this is your man' i.e. the employer of Christopher?

Or...

Do you not understand the Will?

Did you get the Inventory?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Diarmuidgannon1916

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 00:46 BST (UK) »
Yes got will Walter had fingers in a lot of company's Scotland England  and else where know as a contractor own many houses he lived in No6 ancaster drive Anniesland, he had 2 sons there one Robert also a Walter and a daughter  , the inventory is 3 pages long , his will about the same Annie.i got a copy of death cert. I send information to you tomorrow if you wish
Diarmuid

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 01:06 BST (UK) »
That's good as I'm glad I didn't lead you down/up the wrong path!

Such a pity you couldn't find anything on Christopher though  :(

Sounds interesting from what you say!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annie for your kind help I send information on tomorrow
Diarmuid

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 20 September 18 18:49 BST (UK) »
Just some further thoughts on the Robert Cowan uncovered by Rosinish at Skibo Barracks in the 1901 census.  There were ten plumbers, including Robert, at Skibo. As I mentioned earlier, all had been born in Ayrshire and all bar one were in their teens or early twenties, clearly working for a contractor based in Ayrshire. Turns out that Robert was the son of a Samuel Cowan, a Master Plumber based in Ayr. Samuel owning an Ayr company of sanitary engineers etc called McIlwrath & Cowan. It must have been of some size for as early as the 1861 census John McIlwrath was employing fourteen men and fourteen boys, although he had died before 1901 and Cowan retained the company name.
Clearly all this points to Cowan having an installation contract at Skibo Castle, Dornoch in 1901 so could be described as a contractor. It seems a distinct possibility that the Cowans also had a maintenance contract to ensure that the complex installations at Skibo Castle continued to function which could perhaps explain why Christopher was there in 1916. Ayr obviously had easy links to Ireland which might explain how he ended up in Scotland then later was sent up to work at Dornoch. But having said all that there does not seem to be a Walter Cowan involved. I don’t want to confuse matters but it may just be worth considering how reliable the information in the police report was. They managed to spell Cowan wrongly, perhaps. Did they get the forename wrong? What sources are there for the name Walter Cowen apart from the police report?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:20 BST (UK) »
No other information on Christopher in dornoch with Cowan's other than the police report in Dublin in 1916 , but Robert Cowan is Walter cowan son , so that's where the mix up could be am I right in saying that his may be the case , is that what you think . Imber
Annie has done  lot of digging for me.
Diarmuid

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
I don’t want to confuse matters but it may just be worth considering how reliable the information in the police report was. They managed to spell Cowan wrongly, perhaps. Did they get the forename wrong? What sources are there for the name Walter Cowen apart from the police report?

Imber, your message wasn't only interesting but shines a different light on the subject too!

You have raised some good & valid points for sure & looking back (now knowing Walter's age when he died), it does seems highly unlikely (although not impossible) he would be running a business at age approx. 77 yrs old in 1916?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
Diarmuid,

What was Walters' given occ. on his DC?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
What was the name of wife (on DC) & daughter (is she named on the will), it well help trace Walter (hopefully) in earlier census'?

Annie