Author Topic: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland
« Reply #45 on: Friday 07 September 18 21:00 BST (UK) »
Mary Lockhart, daughter of John Lockhart & Helen Moffat born 18 Oct 1882 in Hamilton.  No middle name recorded.

John Lockhart, husband of Helen Moffat, died of cancer 31 May 1888 aged 49 at Royal Infirmary Glasgow.  Informant was his brother.  Both William and John were residents of Rothesay at that time.  Parents names are given as Archibald Lockhart and Isabella Campbell, both deceased.  Archibald was a handloom weaver.

Given that William was the informant, one presumes that William gave the correct information.

So ignore Mary Frame Lockhart (although an interesting sideline).  Apologies for getting side-tracked.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 08 September 18 00:10 BST (UK) »
1871 - I have family at Lesmahagow

Can you please post the details (as previously asked) of who was in the household, names, ages, occupations, where stated as born, relationships & the address so we can check things for ourselves?

Your info. is too vague in most instances where relevant info. is needed (where asked) but we now have a detailed summary of the not so relevant unless info. can be gleaned from the marriages of Mary & sister Anne/Annie?

If you genuinely want help, you need to help us to get there with all relevant info. known.

I'm just curious as to how/where the names of the children from the different families emerged from as children of John & Helen/Ellen & who was "Fernancy Jane 1871 Lanarkshire", where did you find her name, on what document, where & when as it seems to have been transcribed wrong?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 08 September 18 00:18 BST (UK) »
Page 6, and there are still as many unanswered questions as on page 1.

Shame about Mary Frame - I was enjoying that family.  :)

I think we need more from julefamily before continuing.

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Saturday 08 September 18 18:11 BST (UK) »
I just came home from hospital  Please bear with me.  I am giving you the information that I have.  It may not be as complete as you wish, but It is all that I have.
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Saturday 08 September 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
This looks to be Mary's 2nd (?) Marriage details:

John Alfred Lee, 51 and single (est birth yr 1867 in Montgomery, AL)
Marriage on 20 Jul 1918 in Manhattan, New York
Parents John Lee and Miriam Sims

Spouse's Mary Lockhart, 35 and single (est birth yr 1883 in Scotland)
Parents John and Helen Moffat
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:246Q-49F

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 08 September 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Rosie17  Thank you - You located my spouse's granny.  Thank you everyone for your assistance.  Still have no data on her grandparents.  But thank you all for your help
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 09 September 18 00:22 BST (UK) »
I just came home from hospital  Please bear with me.  I am giving you the information that I have.  It may not be as complete as you wish, but It is all that I have.

Hi Jule. Sorry to hear you have been in hospital.

I don't think people are pressing you for more information. Rather they are asking you where you got the information that you already have. There is a difference.  ;)

When you have time, if you can read through the thread and answer the questions that have been asked, that will help us to help you further.  :)

As an example, in the 1871 cenus you say you have the family in Lesmahagow .... People are spending hours trying to find this family in this census in this place, without success, which is why it is very useful if you can help us out a bit. Keeping with this example, as you know, the Scottish census on pay sites like Ancestry is transcription only. To see the originals you need to pay for credits on Scotlands People. The transcriptions are often not good which can make finding people impossible. Perhaps you have a copy of the census which you purchased from Scotlands People which you can share with us?

There is no rush - answer the questions at your own pace. Even if you were given a family tree from someone else, and you don't know where they found certain pieces of information, let us know, and if the tree is online, could you please provide a link to it?  :)

Added: great find Monica.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 09 September 18 01:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Jule,

Likewise, sorry to hear you've been in hospital & hope it's not through stress with our questions  :D

Ruskie,

You've explained the situation clearly, yes we only need confirmation of where the info. given was found & equally, yes it will help us to help further as there's always info. to gain no matter how little or how irrelevant it can sometimes seem to others.

One e.g. is, we have 2 different places of birth for John, 1 being 'Arran' as quoted & the other being Beith which is on the 1881 census.
Having various census' can help to determine which is most likely depending on the frequency stated i.e. 1 may say Arran & 5 may say Beith (just an example of the importance of things).

As Ruskie says, at your own pace as we're all ready & willing to help when we know what info. needs further investigation if you don't know where the info. was found i.e. by someone else?

You may have been given wrong info. which is actually harder to try & find than searching from a basic outline of correct info. if that makes sense?

Wishing you well soon!

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 09 September 18 02:25 BST (UK) »
Social Security Applications Claims index
Mary Francis Lord ( Mary Francis Lockhart )
Birth date 11 October 1884 Hamilton Uk
Father John Lockhart
Mother Ellen Moffat

Social Security Death index
Mary Lord birth date 18 October 1882
Death May 1981
New Hampshire USA

BC (scotlandspeople) i.e. not a transcription;

Mary Lockhart b 18 Oc 1882 at 20A Bickford Street, Hamilton, Lanark
Parents John Lockhart (General Labourer) & Helen Lockhart (m/s Moffat) married 10 Jun 1869 Dundee

We now have Dob confirmed Rosie  ;)

Annie