Author Topic: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland  (Read 5728 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Lockhart family of Arran, Ayrshire Scotland
« Reply #81 on: Monday 10 September 18 04:12 BST (UK) »
"Search Results from Historical Records

No records found for Name: John Keane Lockhart"

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 10 September 18 04:32 BST (UK) »
Jule, I am getting the same error messages as Annie. The links to Familysearch don't work.

Can you please type up your replies and try to explain things a bit more clearly? For example, I don't understand the relevance of this:

reply 75:  This is a hugh prospect or lead.  One of Mary Frances Lockhart Legarda's daughters lived in Duchess county New York
Family search ID:  LKWX-P8L  Elena Romona Legrda
spouse: John Henry (Jack) Staples  ID family search is MM2B-L4K

Mary Frances lockgart Legarda  ID family search LK78-NXG
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KSXL-WHT

I'm sorry but I don't understand why you have posted this.  :-\

I think it might the best way might be if you get out a pencil and large piece of paper and starting with Mary Lockhart (no middle name Francis), put in her date and place of birth and death, then add siblings, parents etc, systematically, the old fashioned way.

I find that working this way helps to clarify things because it can get very confusing if you can't clearly see the relationships visually.

If you read the posts on this thread you will see that some amazing discoveries have been made. As one example, I know that people have spent hours trying to find your John Lockhart and Ellen in Lesmahagow, SCOTLAND in the 1871 census, because you said you had them there. But they are not there. Rosie found them on the Isle of Wight in Hampshire in ENGLAND!

So if you go through and write on your tree in all the correct facts as found by the researchers on here, then all the dates and places should fit together a lot better than they currently do.

By drawing it all out on a physical tree you will also see where the gaps are, and you will know where to concentrate your research to progress further.

This is just a suggestion of a method which I find useful.  :)

Added: I am not sure if you are familiar with the site Scotland's People https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ but it is essential for any research in Scotland. It is very easy to use. You need to register to use the site and purchase credits to view the records instantly. I don't know if you realise, that some people have used their own credits to purchase certificates for you to help your research, to confirm parentage and other details, and to take your research back another generation or two.

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Monday 10 September 18 04:40 BST (UK) »
To all that have helped in this research, Please know I am grateful.  I am a novice and am not completely familiar with terms, etc. 
What do you mean by credits?
What does the word  attestation mean ? (enlistment)?
Jane ?? Not sure where that name came from.

I don't know if the ID of people listed on family search is useable,I hope so.

I correct the typo in the link Rosinish -hopeit makes a difference.

Don't know if this is helpful? 1871 Scotland database

(http;//www.findmypast.com:2012);citing pg19, PROT1,The National Archives UK, Kew, Surrey, FHL microfilm 104,039

Thank you for concerns of my hospitalization.  It was a pre-arranged heart ablation (not caused by anyone's remarks or stress. )  I am still weak and not up to par but getting stronger each hour.

Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Monday 10 September 18 04:52 BST (UK) »
Jule, Click on the link I supplied to Scotlands People, and when you are feeling better you should really register and have a good play with the site.

Credits? Using a credit card you pay for a number of credits which you can use on the site. You then use these credits to view specific records.

Credits cost £0.25 each and are available in batches of 30 (£7.50) or 40 (£10) It costs 6 credits to purchase a birth, marriage or death certificate.

As you have said you are a novice you might find it useful to get this all down on paper as I suggested. Just reading it can make your head spin especially when you have the same names repeated down the generations. Take it slowly and carefully.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Monday 10 September 18 05:12 BST (UK) »
To all that have helped in this research, Please know I am grateful.  I am a novice and am not completely familiar with terms, etc. 

I don't know if the ID of people listed on family search is useable,I hope so.

I correct the typo in the link Rosinish -hopeit makes a difference.

Don't know if this is helpful? 1871 Scotland database

(http;//www.findmypast.com:2012);citing pg19, PROT1,The National Archives UK, Kew, Surrey, FHL microfilm 104,039

Thank you for concerns of my hospitalization.  It was a pre-arranged heart ablation (not caused by anyone's remarks or stress. )  I am still weak and not up to par but getting stronger each hour.

Jule,

Glad you're on the mend!!

We all love a puzzle but please read through the thread as Rosie has found the family in 1871 i.e. the info. you have is not your family.

We've yet to find them prior in 1861/51/41 although potentials have been posted (can't remember which yr) but I'm sure with more time it will become more obvious but what was posted looks good!

We're not full-time researchers, we just 'dabble' in our spare time but enjoy the puzzles/chase  ;)

Hope you recover soon!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Monday 10 September 18 08:49 BST (UK) »
Annie - re reply 74 -no worries.  Like others attempting to unscramble this puzzle, I was hoping  to show that looking at the original images which are readily available (even if they cost some pennies) can bring huge dividends.

This is the link for all sources attached to John (Keane) Lockhart on FamilySearch:
https://www.familysearch.org/tree/person/sources/LK78-K66

And that's where Fernancy Jane appears

But we think that the Lesmahagow John is not the correct one.  There is no information on the whole family from the FS census entry to determine it.  Looking at other sources/transcriptions, the John in Lesmahagow was married to Elizabeth and he was a miner.  The soldier on the Isle of Wight is the right one.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julefamily

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Monday 10 September 18 09:39 BST (UK) »
thank you little Nell -  Can I ask is it hard for other countries to tap into the family search website.
Ireland:  Langan, Langham
Wales:  Williams, Jones, Evans, Bembo, Hill
Slovakia:  Hudack
Pennsylvania USA: Langan, Williams, Hill, Bembo
New York: USA: Fergueson, Lee, Dineen
Philliphines:  LeGarda
Scotland:  Lockhardt

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Monday 10 September 18 09:40 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is her in New York by 1900 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSXQ-N2X

I can't see a death for her in Scotland so far so this could be why.

Could explain why daughters Annie and Mary headed off there in 1900. Can't see original manifest so far with the details Rosie posted earlier regarding the Anchoria's arrival in NY in July 1900. Wondered what they gave for contacts in the UK & US.

Monica

Uk outward passengers list no details just noticed on the same ship is Mary's future husband Vicente Legardo

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Monday 10 September 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Have been wondering where the Keane name has came from ?

What do you think of this maybe a possible

on the 1841 census address 74 Laigh Road Beath Ayrshire
Arichbald Kenn age 20 born Scotland Cotton hand loom weaver
Isabella Kenn age 20 ......
Mary Kenn age 6
John Kenn age 3
Jacob age 6 months
Ann Kennedy age 45 hawker

1851 Census Surname now Cain address Bunswynd Beith Ayrshire
Isabella Cain age 34 born Beith hand sewer ( visitor )
Mary 14,John 11,Jacob 9,Archibald 7,Ann5,William 2 all surname Cain all born Beith
Elizabeth Stewart age 34 pauper hand sewer born Beith

1861 census address Law Brae West Kilbride
Isabella Lochard age 44 born Beith ..hand sewer
Archibald Kean age 16 born Beith.. hawker
William Kean age 11 born Beith ....hawker
Not traced them yet on 1871 census
1881 Census address 14 Tower Street Rothesay
Isabella Cane age 69 ...Hawker

Death for Isabella Lockhart Kean 29 September 1885 age 74 widow of Archibald Kean (weaver )
Address 14 Tower Street Rothesay death registered by son William Kean
Father William Lockhart mother Ann looks like McQuilkan

Don't want to confuse every one but maybe a posssible perhaps Isabella was never married  ???

Rosie