Author Topic: DNA Testing  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Testing
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 September 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
I tested with FTDNA. No restrictions regarding what you can see. I downloaded the data to My Heritage, which I find very easy to navigate and quite intuitive.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 September 18 15:05 BST (UK) »
How do you see a simplified tree?

I have spent a couple of hours unsuccessfully trying to sign into my husband's account to see exactly what I could and could not do with his DNA results.

Finally got in just now, and you can no longer see simplified trees. I think you could see a 7 generation pedigree when he first got his results back, but that appears to have stopped.

You can do name and place searches (for what they are worth) and message people through DNA messaging service. When you find a matching place name you cannot now see who this corresponds to, though you used to be able to.

If you do decide to go with ancestry for size of their database, it is best to do so when they have an offer on. After sending off, you may be offered a reduced subscription as well. With one offer, the DNA was nearly halved and an offer for 50% off subscription followed, making DNA + subscription about £10 more than the subscription alone.

myheritageDNA is certainly easy to use and much more informative than ancestry, but has a much smaller database. In spite of it's many shortcomings, I have found most confirmed matches at ancestry.

So I would change what I originally said - to get the most out of DNA at ancestry a subscription is almost essential (though Sinann manages without).

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 September 18 15:27 BST (UK) »
Agree re Ancestry having the largest DNA database. You can then upload your DNA results to the other sites and thus have access to their databases too. You can't upload results from other sites  to Ancestry, so I'd say that it's best to do the Ancestry one and upload your results to the others. That way you get the best of most worlds.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 09 September 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
On the whole, I've been pleased  that I took the test. I've been able to identify more cousins, but the best thing is that I've managed to find who my maternal great grandfather was.

Gadget

Gadget, Can you give Mark any ideas?

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800112.0

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go