Author Topic: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945  (Read 2329 times)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 09:46 BST (UK) »
As he was baptised aged 9 he was unlikely to have changed his first name in later life but may have gone by his middle name ....

His father was named as Cyril Raven so he might have used that as his surname later too .

Would any living RAVEN half siblings or cousins have information ?
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Apprenticeship for young people from Harvey Goodwin Children's Home around 1945
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
I have seen the Facebook search on page about Australia and UK angels
 but couldn't add a comment .

That's the type of page I meant but Ronalds family wouldn't necessarily think to look at a Australian site if he didn't know about his siblings. .I suppowe you also posted on a general adoptees site  did you try with the name Desmond

Just wondering was father named on baptism the adoptive father ? Is this the beloved uncle you refered to post 17 # in which case you may need to tell the nephew they didn't have child pre wedding but adopted 1 after ..

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

No - the person named on baptism was biological father who was single at that time as was biological mother.  See earlier reply re: respective marriage dates.  Biological father had no children from his marriage. Nephew is from his family and was executor of his will

Searches have been made under all combination of christian names and surnames without success
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Special Needs Girl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 21:38 BST (UK) »
Extensive searches have been made Brigidmac.

Many people, with Ronald's surname at time of being placed in the Children's Home, have been contacted via social media and snail mail.
I subscribe to FindMyPast so have access to electoral registers.
Even the telephone directories on ancestry have been searched extensively.
Everything has been cross checked to when there have been possible names.

Since finding the name listed as Ronald's father, snail mail and social media has been used.
Consequently further information has been provided but unfortunately it has not led to finding anything about him.

I only tend to resort to message boards after all researching is providing nothing.

Yes "Desmond" has been extensively searched too as has leaving out surnames totally.

Ronald was not adopted. He grew up in a Children's Home from the age of 9 years. He spent all the war years there too.
One of his siblings was blind and put in a residential home for blind children.
Ronald would have known about him.
However Ronald would not have known about the sibling who was put in a children's home straight away, adopted and given a new name then put back in an orphanage only to be shipped to Australia.

We know he was given an apprenticeship on leaving school and it is which company that was around in about 1945ish and is still around today that I originally asked.

Ronald would probably had to complete National Service but unless a death certificate can be produced, no records will be released.

Unfortunately anyone who would have served with him or worked with him would be in their 80s or even older and are unlikely to be reading social media or sites like this. 
It would be their children / grandchildren / other family members who would be reading the articles however unless they know their parent's / grand parent's / uncle's earlier life would not even link the stories.

Indeed my mother did not know about her own father's life after his parents died in the early 1900s until I started researching.
Many people are in this same situation.

Someone must know something about Ronald and so searches will continue along with other questions. It is those questions that answers are needed.

Pam