Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 14517 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 09:09 BST (UK) »
This is just quick as I might get interrupted ..

James Reid mentioned looks to have married Annie at St Silas, Byker.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1894&qtr=1&vol=10b&page=28&search=search

Second marriage does not give exact Church.

http://www.marriage-locator.co.uk/cgi-bin/ML_search.cgi?year=1903&qtr=2&vol=10b&page=230&search=search
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Karytay,

So .. the marriage cert was sent for yesterday?  That is good to hear.  Hopefully you might be able to post what it says on here soon.  It would be a long shot but I wonder if a witness might be called Annie and possibly David's Mother.

Millietay, I think David's Mother may really have the maiden surname of Reed which was put down for both her children.  However, I suppose anything could be possible.

I think it might be quite difficult to establish this Annie.

A search of Annies/Anns at Heaton Cemetery during 1905 and 1911 and trying to find a match for a Cecil address might be one option but very time consuming without a database.  Probably a paid search would be required with no guarantees.

If Annie returned to a 'husband ' it would be unlikely that any death notice/memoriam would reference either Cecil, or the two sons.

A long shot again but I wonder if Cecil may have gone back to Scotland to marry Annie and that may be why no marriage appears in this country?

I think Benjamin Reed's daughter may still be in the running.  If there were any photos available out there of David and Annie Reed/Weedon's son your friend might be able to compare for similarities.

I once searched for my Great Grandmother who had moved to another area after the illegitimate birth of my Grandmother.  To cut a long story short another most kind descendant answered my appeal, let me know the part of the story I did not know and sent photos.  One of the photos showed such a resemblance to my own Mother I was almost blown away by the likeness - I would have recognised that face anywhere!

By the way this site does not show that there is a death notice of Elizabeth Ann Thomson in the newspaper but there definitely is one! 

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/NBL/DeathNotices/deaths_TEAG

I suppose probably just a small over sight.  I think we all certainly owe a debt of thanks to the person who did all the work on this site.  I know it has been very helpful to me and many others.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
I think Benjamin Reed's daughter may still be in the running.

I agree.  The fact she lived in the same street (1901 census) David was born a few years later is hard to ignore. 

Am wondering if the birth for Cecil junior would give any different info than on the birth for David?
Probably not. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 12:21 BST (UK) »
Just ruminating on this and if this Annie Reed was the 'Mother' I think she would have actually been pregnant with Cecil at time of marriage.

Marriage was Sept quarter 1902 and Cecil was registered March 1903. ???

Back to the drawing board .. or could this have actually happened?  Just don't know what to think at the moment. ???

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Aha! Milliepede! I think I have an idea to check if this Annie might be the one ..

I think you may have come across some information which is related to the birth which is likely to have David's Mother's signature on ..

What if next time I can fit in a trip to the archives I could look for a possible marriage for James and Annie in the Byker Churches.  Tyne and Wear Archives don't have them all but I could check the ones they do have.

If I can find a marriage for them I can make a note of how her first name is signed.  I could make a copy with my own hand of how she writes and then photo and post this on here.  You could perhaps make a comparison and let us know if signatures could possibly be one and the same! :D

If anyone can help with the names of which Churches may have been near Annie Reed in 1901 that would be helpful.

ADDED: Looking on FamilySearch James seems to have been in the St Michael Parish - I think I could try looking there and St Silas next time I am able to fit in a trip.  Signature comparison might be able to make a stronger connection or completely refute the idea that this Annie may have been Cecil's one time partner.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hate to rain on the parade, but the only birth records I know of that will have a mother's/ informant's signature are civil registers.

Unless the birth record was issued by a local registrar fairly recently and they are one of the registrars who now scan the original register onto the cert paper, what you see will not be the signature of the informant.

If the source was the GRO then the scan is from their 'certified copy' of the original Register (which was retained by the local registrar)  it does not have original signatures.

added sorry forgot to say, even if its a cert issued when the birth was registered. The informant signed the register, then the registrar hand wrote a certificate for the informant to take with them - again, no original signatures, even these are 'certified copies of an entry in the register'

Boo

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Oh drat!

Oh well, at least ☔ raining on the parade may have saved a fruitless trip to the archives. :-\  Thanks anyway Boo.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
Rats but you're right no signatures  :(
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Still just playing about with ideas ..

On the off chance that Annie was a married woman and had married locally, freebmd shows only 8 Ann/Annie Reed marriages in Newcastle between 1880 and 1903 ..

It might be one of these who may be in the Heaton Cemetery registers at the end of the day.

Marriage locator gives Churches for five but shows in between places for 3.