Author Topic: David Thomson  (Read 14507 times)

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: David Thomson
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for the posts River Tyne Lass. I will pass them on to my friend.

'THOMSON.  (late of Byker),  In Loving memory of my dear mother, Nina, who died one year ago today, May 10.  If tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, We would walk right up to heaven, mam, and bring you home again.  It hurt, it made me cry, but the saddest part of all is we never said goodbye; Time may pass but memories will live on.  Always in our thoughts, Harry, **, **, **,

This one brought tears to my eyes.

JenB, I saw that the surnames get mixed up. will go back and look under Thompson and see what pops up.

I think it could be the husband Dave if it was the son would he like the others said mom, mam or mother?
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Save you looking later RTL

10 May 1973 Newcastle Evening Chronicle
 there are two In Memoriam notices for Nina Thomson

1st from her son David

THOMSON (late of Byker) Through life I loved you dearly. In death I do the same. From memory's page I will never blot, Three little words forget me not. Always remembered by son David

2nd from what appears to be the "Dave' from the previous year's notices

THOMSON  Cherished memories of Nina, died May 10 1971.
Dave

10th May 1974
Just the one In Memoriam notice this year
 THOMSON  Treasureed memories of Nina, died May 10 1971.
Always remembered. Dave

No notices in 1975

So I'd say that the 'Dave' is definitely not her son , and may well be her husband ( or as I suspect, possibly her estranged or ex husband)

In the electoral rolls  Nina is in 20 Colgrove Way, Kenton from 1966 to 1971

I just looked  and there is a David Thomson, only person registered in the house,  at 76 Mason St, Saint Lawrence Ward from 1965 to 1968.
Pure speculation but maybe she moved to another area and David stayed in Mason Street but at a different house number.

Boo

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo, with what you have given it does look like Dave and Nina were not together.

Just to let you know the three sons are all dead.

All this info and still cannot find Dave or David's parents. :(
Taylor of Saltcoats Scotland. van Wyk South Africa, van Niekerk, Dickason, Rogers , Stevely and Seagrey

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there would be a little memorial stone or something at the crematorium for Nina? 

It really sounds like she was well loved and the tributes are very touching.

I agree it looks like the couple had separated.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo for looking up the other memoriams - I do tend to suspect too that 'Dave' is the husband and that Nina and husband were separated .. but perhaps still in good terms if that definitely is him who posted notices.

Millipede I think you could be right and it could turn out that she may have some type of memorial - as you say she seems very much loved judging by the touching tributes.  In my experience I have come across people who were cremated but who also have a grave stone. 

Karytay, I am not sure if records for cremations/burials go up to 1971 at the library but I could check the next time I can go.  Not that this will say if there is a stone but it might be revealed if she has a burial plot after cremation.

This is just speculation at this point but there was a David Thomson whose death was registered in the Newcastle upon Tyne district in the September quarter 1980 but his birth was recorded as 22 Dec 1905.  I wonder if the David you are looking for may have been born earlier than 1910 and if this might be him?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
We don't have David in 1939 do we with an exact birth date.

I wonder too if he was born earlier than 1910 - where did the 1910 birth year come from?

Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
Could be getting somewhere with that 1980 death.  Using birth year of 1905 one possible comes up born Byker. 

Birth reg Mar 1906. 

Mothers name for that one is REED in case it pans out.

Suggested record for that birth leads to the 1930 marriage to Nina Patterson.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Karytay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
I do not remember were I got the birth date of 1910. But I do know it is not a set date. Also looked at the year 1905/6. What strikes me is it says born Byker. Apparently the familys all grew up their.   So will look at that one.

No I have not found  him in the 1939 census register yet.  to think of it I have not found the sons in 1939 either. David Gordon Thomson was born 1930 and his twin Harry/Henry Sidney then Kenneth 1933.

Boo do you think there is a notice in the paper for Kenneth ? he died in 1975. it would be interesting to see if Dave place a notice for his son.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 12 September 18 13:03 BST (UK) »

No I have not found  him in 1939 yet.  to think of it I have not found the sons in 1939 either. David Gordon Thomson was born 1930 and his twin Harry/Henry Sidney then Kenneth 1933.

I pointed you to Nina and the boys in reply #17 !
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk