Author Topic: Samuel South - St Margarets South Elmhall  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel South - St Margarets South Elmhall
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 September 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
I queried the birthplace as James had St Margaret’s London on the 1891.

When was the James Clark obituary - have you a death certificate or death registration for him?

It’s funny wife and daughter were ok using South for marriage death so it couldn’t be Samuel did something he was ashamed of and hid his identity.

Does he appear in any newspaper reports
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline calllor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 September 18 11:51 BST (UK) »
Yes I see that James is shown as his birthplace St Margarets London but  did wonder if it was St Margarets South Elmham which is where the Souths were. I havent looked for James clark death but I will have a look on the card that we've got and trace back from there if possible. It does all seem to fit but as any of us know it is easy to make facts fit our scenario. I really do think that samuel and James are one and the same. I have started trawling newspapers but as yet I haven't found anything. Thankyou for your input. Much appreciated.

Offline calllor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 September 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
Just an update on my findings re Samuel South (who I believe changed his name to James Clark) James Clark died in London. I have his death certificate and it states that his daughter Florence Whitehead was present and gives her address as the address that we have known her from in Scunthorpe. Florence was my husbands grandma. So if James was Florence's father but her birth certificate gives her father as Samuel South, along with the fact that Samuel disappeared from the radar, we can only assume that they are one and the same person. I am now trying Suffolk newspapers to see if maybe there is anything there that might shed a light on my theory. Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far.