Author Topic: Ying Tchong, Liverpool Cafe Proprietor, 1949  (Read 4528 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ying Tchong, Liverpool Cafe Proprietor, 1949
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 30 September 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
No the one living with Rose.

Sorry, I thought you said you had just found the information.

As I wrote earlier, searching 1939 with the surnames Tchong or Ying  shows a likely match. Do a general search with no place.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 30 September 18 23:00 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry....I misunderstood. Yes there's a 1939 Register for Rose Ying at 40 Huskisson.We've checked the others at the same number and can\t find a connection. The closest thing is the Abraham in #9 who could have been related to the one who was their marriage witness
Hunter, Southam Thomson, White, Cock, Beesley

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 September 18 23:05 BST (UK) »
I can’t find 40 Huskisson Street in 1939 on Ancestry.
Are you saying that you have Rose there in 1939?
I found a different Rose then and thought it may be her.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 30 September 18 23:35 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry....I misunderstood. Yes there's a 1939 Register for Rose Ying at 40 Huskisson.We've checked the others at the same number and can\t find a connection. The closest thing is the Abraham in #9 who could have been related to the one who was their marriage witness

I can’t see any other Rose Ying using FindMyPast either  ::)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 30 September 18 23:55 BST (UK) »
Again I have to apologize! I've been at the computer far too long and I'm getting mixed up with the Yings and Tchongs and also the various documents. I see now...the 1939 showing Rose Ying ( Turner ) which was likely her exe's name ( Arnold Turner ) at Bloomsbury Ln, Altrincham. I guess she was living as Mrs Ying although they don't seem to get married until 1944. According to the marriage certificate she's trimmed a few years off her age as it shows 29 in 1944 ( bn 1915 ) and the 1939 Register shows her born in 1908, unless this is two different people with coincidental spouses etc. But where is Tchong Ying? Maybe away on a ship? Merchant navy?

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 01 October 18 00:09 BST (UK) »
In 1939 register, entries are amended after marriage so the 1939 name is shown and crossed out with the later married name written above.

So in 1939, Rose would be Rose Turner.

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 01 October 18 01:23 BST (UK) »
Yes, of course. You're right. They updated the 1939 record for a number of years, so that new married name "Ying" would have been the amended name in 1944. So she was at that address in Altrincham in 1939, presumably still married but the husband wasn't there. I see another Turner, bn in 1875, maybe her mother in law?

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 01 October 18 06:15 BST (UK) »
Could Arnold Turner have been away with WW2 1939?

I'm thinking Wing Ying father of Tchong Ying may not have even been in England, he may have equally been in HongKong?

I'm wondering if this Ah Shing Ying born 1911 living in Liverpool was a relative?

There was also a Yuk Ah Ying that went to Hong Kong in 1953 on the Cylops? Same person? Maybe?

There was also a Ah Ying interned at Stanley Camp in Hong Kong during WW2 according to Gwulo, this might was he considered a british national?

Could this have been the Ah Ying off the Ajax in 1841 Liverpool to Singapore?

Was Ah Ying an umarried man heading home to his parents in Hongkong via Singapore??
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline seemex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 01 October 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
I think Arnold Turner could have been away with the war. The marriage to Ying states that she had obtained a divorce from Turner but we have no paperwork for that.
As for Wing Ying ( the father ) he was deceased but again, we don't know where or when that happened or what his status was as far as nationality.
We know that Ying Tchong naturalized in 1948 but his entitlement may have come rom his marriage to Rose in 1944. Certainly the bulk of Chinese Merchant Mariners were repatriated to China after the war, also mostly against their will. Many were apparently snatched up and left wives and children behind.
Tchong Ying had risen above somehow, as he's listed as a cafe proprietor, and the fact that they made their passage to HK in a first class cabin, sets him apart from most of his countrymen.
He was said to have been born in Canton, and had been married before ( in China ) but his wife had passed away. He is listed as such ( widower ) on the marriage certificate.
As for other Chinese names, it's anyone's guess. The fact that we switch given and surnames on many documents, whether by oversight or whatever, makes it very difficult to separate Wing Yings from Ying Wings etc. I've also learned that the "Ah" used in many names is in many cases, little more than a salutation like Mr.
  I really think that the secret lies partially in finding the restaurant. Maybe local directories like Kelly's may reveal some info but I haven't found the correct years yet.

Finally, we believe that the adopted daughter, Beryl Chong that went with them to Hong Kong in 1949, was born to another Chinese, a merchant seaman by the name Shing Lam ( or Lam Shing ) He married a local woman, Mary D'Agostino in 1947. Mary, unwedded in 1944, is said to have given up a female child named Beryl, and that the child had been taken by the adopted parents to Hong Kong. They later had a son, and married in 1947, following up with several more children.
It is rumored that the adoption was facilitated within the Chinese community. There were several influential Chinese in Liverpool who worked with Blue Funnel and took care of the liaisons between crew and the shipping companies. Kwok Fong, is one name and possibly Zhay Woo that we're looking into.

The big stumbling block is the naming situation. It's so hard to know who was who. Which is Wing and which is Wong? :)