Author Topic: PEARSON Family London, Essex etc  (Read 4873 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PEARSON Family London, Essex etc
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
I don’t envy the law clerk who had to copy that one out!
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:50 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is a surviving archive for the 3rd Earl of Arran as that could include further information about John Pearson?
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
Yes, I wonder.  The 3rd Earl died childless despite a long marriage.  His nephew Philip Gore succeeded him.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 18:02 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the OP will have this already but there is a picture of the Rev. Arthur Pearson's grave on Findagrave:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/191303219/arthur-pearson
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 21:11 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there is a surviving archive for the 3rd Earl of Arran as that could include further information about John Pearson?

Trinity College Dublin Correspondence and Papers 1787 - 1835
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/N13701012

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 23:19 BST (UK) »
I found this book online which is quite interesting ‘The Watering Places of Great Britain and Fashionable Directory’:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31822035072578;view=1up;seq=103

Jump to page 87 where it starts discussing Bognor and there are mentions of the Earl of Arran including this on page 90:

SUDLEY MEWS – The want of this description of accommodation has long been complained of by families who have visited the different watering places. In Bognor, however, they have more than emulated the metropolis, for Sudley Mews are not only most spacious, but in their economy, most complete. There are accommodations for horses and carriages of the most superior and extensive description, and also sleeping rooms, and a general sitting room for coachmen and grooms, with an area sufficiently extensive for the exercise of a regiment of horse, with a pump of excellent water in the centre. They were built by Mr Pearson, the present proprietor, who is likewise the worthy steward of an equally worthy master – the Earl of Arran.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 08:55 BST (UK) »
Just catching up with all the good work done since I was last here! Amazing - such an interesting thread.
Only one disappointment - op was online last night and never commented!!!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 09:15 BST (UK) »
I found this book online which is quite interesting ‘The Watering Places of Great Britain and Fashionable Directory’:

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31822035072578;view=1up;seq=103

Jump to page 87 where it starts discussing Bognor and there are mentions of the Earl of Arran including this on page 90:

SUDLEY MEWS – The want of this description of accommodation has long been complained of by families who have visited the different watering places. In Bognor, however, they have more than emulated the metropolis, for Sudley Mews are not only most spacious, but in their economy, most complete. There are accommodations for horses and carriages of the most superior and extensive description, and also sleeping rooms, and a general sitting room for coachmen and grooms, with an area sufficiently extensive for the exercise of a regiment of horse, with a pump of excellent water in the centre. They were built by Mr Pearson, the present proprietor, who is likewise the worthy steward of an equally worthy master – the Earl of Arran.

Fascinating.  I see that the Sudley name (associated with the Earls of Arran who also inherited the title Viscount Sudley) survives in Bognor in various street names.  I expect it’s been a while since anyone thought about why! (I secretly love the “hidden history” in street names, in a slightly nerdy way).

There also seems to be an “Arran Gate” retirement housing development there, built in the 1990s.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 19 September 18 11:14 BST (UK) »
I'm really hoping OP looks at the 'letters and correspondence'  Can't help thinking John Pearson senior might be an illegitimate son?   Or am I letting too many historical novels influence me!