Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 67188 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #117 on: Wednesday 21 November 18 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Wow! That was a breathtaking solution!
I've "met" people being kidnapped from my line and transplanted onto other people's trees, and once I started - accidentally - to kidnap someone else's someone, but I realised almsot as soon as I started checking properly that two same name & birthplace, parents' same name, and very similar ages had become scrambled together! Took ages chasing up and down the generations and checking, checking, checking to get each in their own neat tied-up piles, but I felt a real glow of satisfaction when a couple of years later I was able to present a "kidnapper" with a neat, confirmed pile of factual information for his chap, and showing why mine wasn't his!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Thursday 22 November 18 13:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I've looked at an 1881 Census again several times online to see if a better image was available to print off, than my printed copy from scratched microfilm about 20 years ago. On film as Hood.

Originally online as Hood.

Somebody must have got these Hoods of mine in the 1881 Census online, changed and listed under Wood.

When I last looked again several years ago, it was changed yet again and now listed as Wood (Hood).

I do have all the Hood GRO Birth Certificates of their children residing there in 1881, including a photocopy of a family original 1875 Full Birth Certificate, issued 1876.

Definitely HOOD.

Mark

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Thursday 22 November 18 17:35 GMT (UK) »
So they found someone with the right forename, dates, location, etc and then 'changed' the surname to make it fit?

That is a novel solution, great way to knock over brick walls :)

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Friday 23 November 18 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Better than a jcb, isn't it?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Saturday 24 November 18 11:56 GMT (UK) »
So they found someone with the right forename, dates, location, etc and then 'changed' the surname to make it fit?

Edward

Hello

I wondered if that might have happened.

There is a saying ... the pen is mightier than the Sword, or regarding the other comment, than the JCB  ;D

Mark

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:15 GMT (UK) »

Edward

I have a situation in my tree.  It is a change from Collie to Currie.  I found the Collie birth by matching everything else, plus the granddaughter living with the Collie grandparents at one of the censuses.  That was the first stage, I now have DNA evidence to prove that I was correct.  I did not randomly snatch a person and I did extensive search to make sure that the Collie child wasn't elsewhere.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Saturday 24 November 18 18:27 GMT (UK) »

Edward

I have a situation in my tree.  It is a change from Collie to Currie.  I found the Collie birth by matching everything else, plus the granddaughter living with the Collie grandparents at one of the censuses.  That was the first stage, I now have DNA evidence to prove that I was correct.  I did not randomly snatch a person and I did extensive search to make sure that the Collie child wasn't elsewhere.

My comment was aimed at people who don't check, double check and collect evidence.

I have a 2 x ggfather who was born a Rabbits but spent his entire life as a Roberts.

I can only assume that his Wiltshire accent was misunderstood in Hampshire. :)

Evidence is based on several censuses (or are they censii?) where he declares his place of birth and PR's

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Saturday 24 November 18 19:02 GMT (UK) »

Evidence is based on several censuses (or are they censii?) where he declares his place of birth and PR's

Edward

The generally accepted plural in english is censuses but if you wish to be pedantic it is census, the 'u' being a long sound rather than the short sound of the singular.
It is definitely not censi nor censii.

See this thread:- https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=41066.0
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Saturday 24 November 18 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Where is that tongue in cheek emoticon? :D

Edward