Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 67207 times)

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #135 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I get fed up with USA hints that are clearly irrelevant. As a result I spent a long while puzzling over one ancestor until I realised that the Canadian hints were actually correct and that he had spent 10 years in Quebec before returning to England.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Lots of my cousins with the same Essex, England ancestors have put Essex, Massachusetts, USA. I think the drop down menu gives USA as top place name and they just click on it without reading in properly.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I refuse to fill out any of them family tree boxes (on any site), or put information on Wiki etc., known to my late Grandparents, because anyone can come along and edit it, or internet companies themselves, or their Programming defaults seem to change information.

Is there no way of uploading a scan picture of your tree somewhere and directing parties, via a link?

I'm finding quite a few Hoods (clearly says Hood in image) transcribed as Wood.

I've just gone World on a subscription to get the British Newspaper Archive. One American search says born England (true), but the Birth is 3 or more years out with official GRO records and there seems to be 2 or 3 with the same unique names (do I need to see my Doc for 'Triple Vision').

I'm wondering what other parts are true and what is inaccurate detritus. Most is transcription based only, with no documents.

The Family Historian must treat it as NOT true until supporting document/s is/are seen!

Mark

Offline Deux Chevaux

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 19:03 GMT (UK) »
I've kept my own tree separate until last night when I decided to start putting it on the FamilySearch website. I'm currently regretting doing that, as I made a monumental mistake which I do not know how to correct. As I was entering some ancestors into my tree on the website, it showed me parents and grandparents of that individual and I thought I would confirm the correct information shown. Having done so, the software of FamilySearch took it upon itself to enter all the ancestors it has on any branch from that individual. Unfortunately, some of the information is wrong, and I can't find a way to alter/correct the misinformation.  :-[
Barwick: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
             Maesteg, Glamorgan
Rawle: Wootton Courtenay, Somerset
Williams: Hay-on-Wye, Breconshire/Powys, Wales
Pegg: Corpusty/Saxthorp, Norfolk
Stace: Epping, Essex
Singleton: Chillington, Somerset

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I've kept my own tree separate until last night when I decided to start putting it on the FamilySearch website. I'm currently regretting doing that, as I made a monumental mistake which I do not know how to correct. As I was entering some ancestors into my tree on the website, it showed me parents and grandparents of that individual and I thought I would confirm the correct information shown. Having done so, the software of FamilySearch took it upon itself to enter all the ancestors it has on any branch from that individual. Unfortunately, some of the information is wrong, and I can't find a way to alter/correct the misinformation.  :-[
Unfortunately with Family Search it isn't individual trees but hypothetically one main tree with lots of individual branches and when you add somebody to your branch that is already in the system with parents etc then  your branch is connected to the other one and all the info and mistakes
Also anybody can change or add people to any entry so you could find somebody adds what they think is correct to your carefully researched tree
to change dates or places you click the edit button and to change people details in the family list click the pencil and paper icon to the right of the name

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday 19 December 18 22:44 GMT (UK) »

Unfortunately with Family Search ...
Also anybody can change or add people to any entry so you could find somebody adds what they think is correct to your carefully researched tree

Precisely, you could have a fanatically researched tree with GRO Certificates / Census / Parish records, Documents, Wills, Deeds, Landowner / Manor documents etc., etc., everything fits perfectly on paper and ...

Then somebody comes along thinks they should fit into your tree because they can't see their family (because you are in the same town as they think they should be and with the same surname) and therefore assume must be part of your family and start editing your tree, so that they can fit into it.

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Thursday 20 December 18 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Not all are sent to America.  I had a number of relatives 'lifted from Bairnsdale, Victoria, Australia to Trinidad and Tobago.  Son suggested we visit their graves next time Australia plays there.   :D :D ;D ;D ;D
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Thursday 20 December 18 15:05 GMT (UK) »
I refuse to fill out any of them family tree boxes (on any site), or put information on Wiki etc., known to my late Grandparents, because anyone can come along and edit it, or internet companies themselves, or their Programming defaults seem to change information.

Each profile on WikiTree has a profile manager. There are 2 ways another person who is not the profile manager can edit a profile. 1. Ask the profile manager to be added to their "trusted list";
2. Adopt an "orphaned profile". In addition merges are proposed if duplicate people are identified. Any changes to profiles with surnames on a WikiTree member's "surname watch list" are communicated via a daily email. Each profile has an editing history so any changes can be tracked. There is space on each profile page for comments.
Cowban

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Thursday 20 December 18 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry seem to have taken a LITTLE notice of my fault report.

They have removed the generated text from the Lifestory view.

However the map still shows the wildly inaccurate place markers.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.