Author Topic: Ancestry tree rubbish  (Read 67151 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry tree rubbish
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 23 September 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
My 3x grt grandfather was born in Ayrshire.  He met my 3x grt grandfather just outside Inverness. 

I think you meant "He met my 3xgrt grandmother..." I trust your FT has him married to your 3xGGM.

:)
Cowban

Offline Edward Scott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 23 September 18 18:32 BST (UK) »
And what about those trees that have someone marrying 3 or 4 times, having huge families with each spouse, and all during the same 30 years - more often than not, at the same address.  I cannot believe that the Mormons were alive and well and living in Lancashire in the early 1800s...

So you must have come across my 2 x ggfather Jesse, 'married' 4 times in 26 years, starting 1862.  5 children with wife no 1, none with nos 2&3 and finally 3 more with no 4.

His 5th child, 1st daughter, from the 1st marriage married the father of wife no 4. She was 15 and pregnant, he was 69. Oddly it didn't last long and she moved away.

I spent months trying to disprove the facts, bought hatch. match & despatch certificates and eventually accepted it was right.

This link may help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3cCl4JKJ28 to explain but then again it may not. :)

Edward
Scott - Lincolnshire
Jobson - Lincolnshire, Suffolk
Needham - Lincolnshire
Wayet - Lincolnshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 23 September 18 18:42 BST (UK) »
My 3x grt grandfather was born in Ayrshire.  He met my 3x grt grandfather just outside Inverness. 

I think you meant "He met my 3xgrt grandmother..." I trust your FT has him married to your 3xGGM.

:)

OOps yes I meant 3x grt grandmother, and I have the correct grandmother on my actual tree but he didn't marry her, he abandoned her and went back to his wife.  On plus side left all the kirk session records to help me.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 23 September 18 19:51 BST (UK) »
families whose children were born on different continents
One of my ancestors moved to Canada, married twice and had a daughter there before returning and raising more children over here.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 23 September 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
families whose children were born on different continents
One of my ancestors moved to Canada, married twice and had a daughter there before returning and raising more children over here.

I've got that too.  One family oldest 2 born in Scotland, middle 2 in India, youngest 2 in Scotland. Then another line, oldest in India, second in Belgium (mother's father was diplomat in Belgium), third in England and 4th in Argentina.  I have done enough to be confident it is the same family.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Sunday 23 September 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
Some may wonder why on my Ancestry tree my County Durham born ancestor in 1827 is on the 1881 census in England but then on the US 1900 census in Pennsylvania but it is totally true as he emigrated there in 1886 to join a daughter out there, and he took his youngest daughter with him. His other children remained in England as they had all left home by then. In late 1885 his wife died and he must have decided on a fresh start, and took that fresh start 4000 miles.

And his paternal grandfather was in America from 1775 to 1781 in the army. So I have 2 direct rellies who spent time in the US, one of them died out there.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:11 BST (UK) »
You occasionally come across things which would fail most peoples' sanity checks.

Today I came across the following entries for a friend's tree:

Baptism: 8 Dec 1816 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
Edward Eatock - 7th. Son of Henry Eatock & Elizabeth
    Born: 19 Oct
    Abode: Scholes
Baptism: 29 Jul 1820 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
Jane Eatock - 8 Daur. of Henry Eatock & Elizabeth
    Born: 27 Jul
    Abode: Scholes

Now I can only find baptisms for seven of the girls, but with 14 children I'm surprised that Elizabeth made it to age 60.

As for "different continents", my eldest niece had her firstborn, born in Canberra, baptised in Lancashire. Slightly more feasible with air travel than the transatlantic commuters we find in some trees!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:32 BST (UK) »
I saw  a message on their board asking for informaton about my 4xgt grandmother.

The poster said she was born 1770/1, correct from Census, and she married in 1831, then went on to have 5 children - not bad for a 60 year old !!!!!

Offline sharv22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 13 October 18 01:31 BST (UK) »
I totally agree that a lot of the tree owners on ancestry are just either name collectors or people who don't take the whole family research idea seriously. I've used ancestry on & off for over 12 years, sometimes with an annual sub but these days more often I buy a one month sub. I've found it an easy site to navigate & their record access is very good. The 'hints' system is handy but the trick is to weedle out the obvious non matches. 99% of my people have enough cross checked records to back up their authenticity & the other 1% I leave on the off chance that new records might appear in the future.