Author Topic: LOOK UP OFFER: SURREY RECORDS  (Read 19983 times)

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LOOK UP OFFER: SURREY RECORDS
« on: Sunday 01 August 04 14:12 BST (UK) »
As I only live a mile away from the Surrey History Centre, I am willing to look up things there for you.

Please note that parish records for places such as Lambeth, Southwark, once in Surrey are held at the London Metropolitan Archive rather than at the Surrey Centre.

I'm fairly new to this, so please supply as much info as possible and I will try my best.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline paulanthony262003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK UP OFFER: SURREY RECORDS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have HAMBLYN family who lived in surrey 1800 - present,
any info on them pre 1860's would be great,
thankyou,
Paul

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 00:33 BST (UK) »
Paul,

Can you be more specific in your request?

Any Hamblyns living in Lameth or Southwark will not be archived at the Surrey Centre - they are at the London Metroplitan Archives.

I'm not sure, but I may have to look up by parish, such as "All Saints", "St Mary's" etc.

Let me know what you have in any case and I'll do my best.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,

thanks for your offer. Could you look up the marriages of 3 members of the same family for me? Their details are:

Mary Georgiana Liddell, married March qtr 1883 at St George Hanover Square (Vol 1a/pg 663)
Wilhelmina Clara Liddell, married March qtr 1885 at St George Hanover Square (Vol 1a/pg 529)
Dorothy Isabel Liddell, married Dec qtr 1891 at St George Hanover Square (Vol 1a/pg 897).

Many thanks,

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 10:36 BST (UK) »
D ap D:

Sorry, but the marriages you refer to are in the Mayfair/Pimlico/Westminster area of central London, not in Surrey.

Try a request for the London area, or probably better just order the marriage certificates. If you go to Ancestry.co.uk you can view indexes for these marriages and by clicking on the register's page number you can see others registered on the same page, which would have included the groom.

But this really only works if you have a hunch, as these records are (a)incomplete and (b)you may have different names to choose from.

Good Luck,

Ray

Offline paulanthony262003

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 13:43 BST (UK) »
Ray,

My Hamblyn's were from Lambeth and Southwark, but here are some more details, just in case it would help,
I am interested to find more on;

Marriage of John(Spence) Hamblyn to Catherine Anderson,
both born around 1800, married about 1835, St Marys, or St George the martyr,Lambeth.
Baptisms of the above John and Catherine?
         Baptism,John Hamblyn(son of John/Catherine, born 1835, baptised June 30 1837 at St Marys, Lambeth(according to  IGI)
         More on Baptism of John Hamblyn(son of William/Elizabeth) July 29 1860 St Sepulchre(according to IGI)
        Baptism,Henry Hamblyn 1862-1866(son of William/Elizabeth),Waterloo Road/Lambeth Church 2nd
        Baptism,Martha Hamblyn(dau of William/Elizabeth) around 1864,waterloo road/Lambeth Church 2nd
        Marriage,Martha Hamblyn to Unknown after 1881
      Baptism,Thomas William Hamblyn(son of William/Elizabeth) 1866, Waterloo road/Lambeth Church 2nd
      Baptism,George Hamblyn (son of William/Elizabeth) 1868,Waterloo Road/Lambeth Church 2nd
      Baptism,Alfred John Hamblyn 1871-1872,Waterloo Road/Lambeth Church 2nd
      Baptism, Thomas William Hamblyn(son of Thomas/Louisa) 1891,Lambeth Church 2nd
      Baptism, Albert Charles Hamblyn(son of Thomas/Louisa) 1895, Lambeth Church 2nd

I hope that something of this may throw up some more details,
yours sincerely
Paul

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 16:34 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but the marriages you refer to are in the Mayfair/Pimlico/Westminster area of central London, not in Surrey.

Thanks anyway Ray,

As they are not direct ancestors, I didn't really want to order the certs at this stage, I've got enough to save up for as it is. As you know, there is usually 4 names on the sheet, so I've got a 50/50 chance of getting the right one.

Have to save that branch for later I guess.

D ap D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 04 17:52 BST (UK) »
Paul,

Thanks for that on the Hamblyns. I'm sure the Surrey Record Office won't have anything indexed, but I have direct relatives from Lambeth too! They lived where St Thomas' Hospital is now, which is between Waterloo Station and the Thames.

If I need to look up Parish Records for that area, I will remember your query.

But I'd suggest you try other avenues for a more reliable response, as I have yet to research parish registers and I don't know how time consuming it is, bearing in mind it will be a special journey for me.  What about trying your nearest Mormons Family Research Centre - they may be able to order some microfilm from another branch to your nearest one. Just a thought.

All the Best,

Ray

Offline MrsLizzy

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • A Woman Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 August 04 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Anytime you are there and have any spare time, I wonder if you could see if there's anything on Walter J (James or John) Green, a civil servant with the India Office, who lived in Croydon?  He was living there in 1881, by which time he was widowed, with his four children, Louise, Mary, Katherine and Philip Walter J Green.  Philip was born around 1874, but I can't find his birth record.  I would be particularly interested in any record of the death of Walter's wife, Mrs Louise Green, some time between 1871 and 1881; in the death of Walter himself, post 1901 census, and/or any records about Philip, whom I can't find in the 1901 census.  I wondered if Philip had died young.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions.

regards

MrsLizzy
Connell (Mayo & Lancs 19th/20th c) Culling (Norfolk & London 19th c) Diss (Essex) Giesen (UK only 19th/20th c) Hackney (London) Henbest (Kent & Sussex) Hughes (Mayo to Burnley, Lancs & Edward, Parachute Regiment 40s, 50s) Lister (London) Maltby (Marylebone) Mayo (Glos) Nials Noquet (Huguenot) Phillips (S London) Poulain (France & London) Rayner (Halstead, Essex) Pratt (Kent & Sussex) Redfearn (London) Silk Speller (Rodings, Essex) Thompson (S London) Thurley Trundle Wade Westley