Author Topic: LOOK UP OFFER: SURREY RECORDS  (Read 19976 times)

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK UP OFFER: SURREY RECORDS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 18:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on my Aunt. Her name was Edith Maureen Lake
she lived at 58 Ash Road, Stonecott Hill Surrey. She was born in 1902 in Brixton. I know that she passed away when she was about 90 but I was not able to come home and see her. Her maiden name was Wood.
I apppreciate any help that you can give me.
Thanks

Hi

Can't help you here, as these records are kept by the London Borough of Sutton,

Cheers

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

Anytime you are there and have any spare time, I wonder if you could see if there's anything on Walter J (James or John) Green, a civil servant with the India Office, who lived in Croydon?  He was living there in 1881, by which time he was widowed, with his four children, Louise, Mary, Katherine and Philip Walter J Green.  Philip was born around 1874, but I can't find his birth record.  I would be particularly interested in any record of the death of Walter's wife, Mrs Louise Green, some time between 1871 and 1881; in the death of Walter himself, post 1901 census, and/or any records about Philip, whom I can't find in the 1901 census.  I wondered if Philip had died young.

Many thanks for any help or suggestions.

regards

MrsLizzy

Hi MrsLizzy,

No Croydon records here in Woking; they are kept in Croydon.

But it seems your best bet may be to trawl through 1837.com Not easy with a common surname, but its worth a go.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline Mistyrose41

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 10 August 04 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for looking for the Banns Ray.
I have a copy of the marriage register so know the witnesses. I was trying to trace John and Thomas' father.  John was 26 when he died in 1836 which would make his birth around 1810ish.I have the IGI for Surrey and the nearest I can get is a John C. 1807 and his brother Thomas C. 1802 to a William and Ann Foster at Chertsey, Surrey. Ann Burningham married Elizabeth's brother Anthony. Elizabeth was born in Byfleet to Mary & John Pantlin and went back to live in Byfleet after John's death with her 2 sons.I have the PR for Thames Ditton the last recorded baptism of a Foster in Thames Ditton was 1801 and the last burial 1840 so there were fosters living in Thames Ditton in the same period but that does not help me with my quest for John's father.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Mistyrose
Wiltshire:  Cricklade, West Knoyle.
Names:Newman,  Mead.
Somerset: Hinton St. George, Lopen, Cricket St. Thomas, Hornblotton.
Names: Brook, Cranton, England, Mead.
Kent: Lympne, Dymchurch, Smeeth.
Names:: Taylor, Glayzier, Tebbles, Newman, Idenden.
Surrey: Hersham, Walton on Thames, Great Bookham, Byfleet, Stoke D'Abernon, Thames Ditton, Esher.
Pyrford.Wonersh.Dunsfold.
Names: Foster, Newman, Glashier, Brown, Bond, Morum, Pantling, Mead.
Middlesex: Littleton, Shepperton.
Names: Newman

Offline sheppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 15 August 04 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
RE: SKINNER - Godstone
Many thanks for looking.

I have found both Thomas and Edward on the 1881 and 1891 census for Lambeth.  They both give their birth place as Godstone. There were three other brothers, Stephen, Harry and one other but I don't have any further information on them.
On both Edward and Thomas's marriage certificates it gives their father's name as Thomas.
Cheshire: Pierce, Joy
Liverpool: Lyons, Sim/m, Eccles
Surrey: Skinner
London: Chowne
Hampshire:Hasler
Oxfordshire:Shepherd, Woodley

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 August 04 00:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Sheppie,

I see that Thomas was born in Mitcham, according to the 1881 Census, if we are talking about the one in Oakley Street, Lambeth.

It seems that Mitcham registers are held here in Woking. I won't be around for a few days, but let me know what you find and if you want me to pay a visit there.

Ray

Offline sheppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 16 August 04 17:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,

My Thomas Skinner has been transcribed on the 1881 census as Thomas STINNET.
He was living at 21 Paragon Road, London. Census ref: RG11 Piece/FOLI 0302/7 Page 8.
His son Harry is transcribed as Haven. Harry's brother George was also living there along with Thomas's wife Jane Matilda who was born in Doncastor.
Do you have any suggestions as to where I can look next.
Regards
Sheppie

Offline sheppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 16 August 04 23:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray
Re: Skinner - Godstone.
More Info.

I have found Edward Skinner on the 1871 Census for Lambeth and it gives his birthplace as HORNE.

Regards
Sheppie

Offline lighthouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 17 August 04 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray it is very kind of you to offer to attempt lookups!   I don't know if Tooting Graveney is in your area but I will try anyway.  I have a Burrell family that was living at Salvadore Place, Mitcham Road, Tooting Graveney during the 1841 census (H0107/1068/5/44).  Hannah Burrell was living there with her daughters Agatha and Emily.  Her husband was James Burrell who was dead by then.  I believe that his death was registered during the 3rd Quarter of 1838 at Tooting Graveney.  I was wondering if you have access to view the parish records for Tooting Graveney to see if his death is there and if there were any details about his death.  James Burrell and Hannah were likely married around 1813 as their 1st child was christened at Tooting Graveney on Jan 9, 1814.  I would be interested to see if you could find a  James Burrell marriage and possibly a christening for James Burrell which would probably be around 1785 plus or minus 5 years each way.  Thank you, James from Canada.

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 21 August 04 11:34 BST (UK) »
Hi James,

These records are not held in my town but at the London Metropolitan Archives.

But I might have to go up there myself within the next few weeks, so I'll bookmark your request.

Ray