Author Topic: LOOK UP OFFER: SURREY RECORDS  (Read 19979 times)

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: LOOK UP OFFER: SURREY RECORDS
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 21 August 04 17:51 BST (UK) »
Re: SKINNER family from Godstone

I see Horne is a separate parish from Godstone. I'll try and research it this coming week.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline sheppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 22 August 04 11:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ray, your help is much appreciated.

Maureen
Cheshire: Pierce, Joy
Liverpool: Lyons, Sim/m, Eccles
Surrey: Skinner
London: Chowne
Hampshire:Hasler
Oxfordshire:Shepherd, Woodley

Offline lighthouse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 22 August 04 15:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ray!  Your offers to help people are very much appreciated by everybody.  Kind regards, James.

Offline Norahjj

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 22 August 04 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Ray

Very scant information I'm afraid, but here goes:-

George GALE born in SURREY 1841

Sorry, that's absolutely all I can give you.

Norah

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 23 August 04 14:10 BST (UK) »
Norah,

That's a bit too scant I'm afraid.

I recommend that you look on 1837online.com to view the index of births post 1 July 1837.

If you have the year of birth from a census, it may not be that accurate, so try a few years either side if necessary.

Let me know how you get on.

Ray
Wiseman (Norfolk, London, Canada), Henderson (Manitoba, Canada) Crook (S. Devon, London, Ireland), Laskey (S. Devon and London), Richardson (Saffron Walden and London), Hall (Plymouth and Norfolk), Curd (Herts., London), Pettit, Pettitt, (all areas), Splatt (Devon, London, Surrey), East (Hertfordshire), Andrew (Herts.), Cluff (London), Nash (London), Plymley (Herts.), Packer (London), Leak (Norfolk), Allen (Norfolk)

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 25 August 04 22:19 BST (UK) »
Re: Skinner - Godstone

Maureen:

It seems that Thomas and Edward were the product of Thomas and Mary Skinner from Horne, a parish not far from Godstone. There were several children, as follows

Thomas                      baptised 8/Nov/1812
John   born 30/Oct/1813   baptised 28/Nov/1813
Amey   born 6/Nov/1814   baptised 8/Jan/1815
Amelia   born 8/Nov/1815   baptised17/Dec/1815
John   born 13/Apr/1817   baptised 18/May/1817
Mary   born 9/May/1818   baptised 9/June/1818
Sarah   born 21/July/1820   baptised 13/Aug/1820
Maria   born 5/July/1822   baptised 28/July/1822
Edward                      baptised 23/Jan/1825
Rachel                      baptised 18/May/1828
Thomas                      baptised 29/Aug/1830
Esther                      baptised 28/Oct/1832
Abel                      baptised 14/June/1835
Jesse Edward      baptised 25/March/1838

John (1817) and Sarah (1820) are recorded as 'base born', i.e. illegetimate.  But more interesting is the entry for Amey born 1814. It records the parents as Thomas Skinner and Mary Skinner, and under Mary's name it says "Kinswoman of the above" [they mean Thomas]. Its unusual for the mother's surname to be shown in the registers. The surname is repeated for her on the 1817 birth of John too where she is quoted as a servant and he a farmer. In all other entries he is described as a labourer.

I cannot find any marriage between Thomas and Mary, so maybe they were brother and sister or something.

I've taken the opportunity of recording all the Skinner records back to around 1740 and the only Mary Skinner I see being baptised at an appopriate time is on 29 January 1797, and she was the daughter of John and Mary. I cannot trace a John and Mary marriage either, not in Horne anyway.

As for the birth of Thomas, the "father", I cannot see one, but the baptism register is incomplete for much of the 1780's, although he may have hailed from another parish of course.

I cannot see a Stephen or Harry anywhere, although there were some Henry's around, including one born of a single mum named Amelia (bap 7 May 1837). Maybe your other names were just relatives that weren't siblings.

I hope this has removed a couple of bricks from your wall...

Ray

Offline sheppie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 26 August 04 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,

Many, Many thanks for the information.
I am beginning to think that Stephen and Harry are being mixed up with Thomas's (born 1830) sons.
He had sons called Stephen and Harry so there may well be confusion there.
On Thomas's marriage certificate it stated his father was Thomas occ Farmer Edwards marriage certificate shows his father as Thomas, occ Labourer however, it looks very likely that the ones you have found are the ones I am looking for.
Again many, many thanks.
Regards

Maureen
Cheshire: Pierce, Joy
Liverpool: Lyons, Sim/m, Eccles
Surrey: Skinner
London: Chowne
Hampshire:Hasler
Oxfordshire:Shepherd, Woodley

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 26 August 04 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray

I would like to find more info on the parents (ie. reveal who they were) of

Ann Lock b.1844 Limpsfield, nr Godstone
here is almost definitely her birth reference on the General Register:
Births Dec 1844
LOCK  Ann     Godstone  vol 4 page 156
since I accidently bought a birth certifcate identical to this but on page 95.

I believe Elizabeth may be the mother's name from a later census. If you have time to look up the 1851 census of Limpsfield that would be very much appreciated

Many Thanks and best wishes

Adam
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline clickaway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 27 August 04 23:23 BST (UK) »
Adam,

Couldn't find Ann there, either in Limpsfield, Godstone or nearby Oxted.

The 1851 census only showed an Elizabeth aged 55, with her husband Robert 52.

Ray