Author Topic: Court book entry 1695 Latin deciphering please  (Read 1152 times)

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Court book entry 1695 Latin deciphering please
« on: Thursday 20 September 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Having trouble making any sense of an entry in a Manor Court Book for Pulham in Norfolk. Date at beginning of document is 1695. Apart from the names I cannot decipher what is going on ....... I have attached 4 lines from the document. It is about 21 lines in total, but am limited by size restrictions on images. Would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me what was in dispute here!! Many thanks
Artis (Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge / London)
Noller and Staff (Suffolk)
Cantwell and Driscoll (London and Ireland)
Harding (Littlehapton & Bethnal Green)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Court book entry 1695 Latin deciphering please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 September 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
The beginning seems to be missing? But the extract as posted goes something like this:

===
(...) tent(...) de hec man(er)io tunc in Occupac(i)one Will(elm)i Gooderham(?)

et Assign(atis) suis Ad opus et usum Joh(ann)is Artis & Ed(wa)rd(i) Artis fil(ii)

Will(elm)i Artis et hered(ium) suor(um) post Decessu(m) d(i)c(t)i Will(elm)i  Et

Comp(er)tum est p(er) homagiu(m) hui(us) Cur(ie) q(uo)d p(re)d(i)c(t)us Will(elm)us Artis obijt

(...) held of this Manor, then in the occupation of William Gooderham(?) and his assigns, for the use and behoof of John Artis and Edward Artis, sons of William Artis, and their heirs after the decease of the said William. And it was found by the homage of this Court that the aforesaid William Artis died ...
===

Latin can’t easily be handled in isolated extracts like this, because the grammar is complicated and the word-order isn’t always as expected.

You will need to post the whole entry to make any real sense of it, split into sections as necessary. Help on resizing images is given here
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,372537.0.html

ADDED - or if it's online, post a link.

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 September 18 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks - exactly what I needed to know!
I have had a go at resizing, so attached whole document in 3 parts - hope it is ok.

cheers

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
There's one word (in Part 2) that I can't get, but I believe the rest is clear enough.

Other people may have opinions on the name of the property (in Part 2), which I've transcribed with some uncertainty as Woodflete Croft.

(It's a manorial court, by the way, not a court of law -- so there was no 'dispute' as such.)

=====

Part 1
Cum ad Cur(iam) hic tent(am) Vicesimo die Octobris & p(er) Adjorn(amentum) Vicesimo

septimo die eiusd(e)m Octobris Anno D(omi)ni 1675: Comp(er)tum

fuit p(er) homagiu(m) istius Cur(ie) quod Will(elm)us Artis nat(ivus) ten(en)s hui(us)

Man(er)ij ex(tra) Cur(iam) Scil(ice)t decimo nono die Julij ult(imo) p(re)terito Sursumredd(it)

in manus D(omi)ni hui(us) man(er)ij Om(n)ia messuagia terr(e) et ten(emen)ta sua

nat(iva) tent(a) de hec Man(er)io tunc in Occupac(i)one Will(elm)i Gooderham

Et Assign(atis) suis Ad Opus Et Usum Joh(ann)is Artis & Ed(wa)rdi Artis fil(ii)

Will(el)mi Artis et hered(ium) suor(um) post Decessu(m) d(i)c(t)i Will(elm)i  Et ...

Whereas at the court held here on the twentieth day of October, and by adjournment on the twenty-seventh day of the same October in the year of the Lord 1675, it was found by the homage of that court that William Artis, a villein tenant of this manor outside the court, on the nineteenth day of July last past did surrender into the hands of the lord of this manor all his messuages, lands and tenements, held in villeinage from this manor, which were then in the occupation of William Gooderham(?) and his assigns, for the use and behoof of John Artis and Edward Artis, sons of William Artis, and their heirs after the decease of the said William. And ...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
Part 2
... Comp(er)tum est p(er) homagiu(m) hui(us) Cur(ie) q(uo)d p(re)d(i)c(t)us Will(elm)us Artis obijt

diutine(?) et q(uo)d Joh(ann)es Artis obijt post ult(imam) Cur(iam) et ante istam

Cur(iam)  Modo ad hanc Cur(iam) venit p(re)dic(tus) Ed(wa)r(d)us et petit admitti

ex gra(tia) D(omi)ni d(i)c(t)i man(er)ij Admitti ad p(re)missa Scil(ice)t ad unu(m) ten(amen)t(um)

sive Cottagiu(m) nup(er) edificat(um) cu(m) tres Acr(is) ter(re) de d(...)cis hui(us)

man(er)ij vocat(um) Woodflete(?) Croft(?) cu(m) p(er)tin(entijs) in Pulham Que

p(re)missa p(re)dic(tus) Will(elm)us Artis cepit sibi et hered(ibus) suis

Sursumredd’ Joh(ann)is Stone Ad Cur(iam) hic tent(am) decimo se(...) ^die^ ...

... it has been found by the homage of this Court that the aforesaid William Artis died long ago, and that John Artis died after the last court and before the present court; now to this court came the aforesaid Edward and sought admittance, by the grace of the lord of the said manor, to be admitted to the premises, namely, to one tenement or cottage recently built, with three acres of (...) land of this manor known as Woodflete(?) Croft(?), with appurtenances, in Pulham, which premises the aforesaid William took for himself and his heirs from the surrender of John Stone at this court held on the (sixteenth/seventeenth?) day ...

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
Part 3
... Octobris Anno D(omi)ni 1643: & ut p(er) Rot(ulum) eiusd(e)m Cur(ie)

patet et Admittit(ur)  Cui Lib(er)ata est inde Sei(sin)a p(er) Virgam

Tenend(um) p(re)dic(ta) p(re)missa cu(m) p(er)tin(entijs) sibi et hered(ibus) suis Ad volunt(atem)

D(omi)ni S(e)c(u)nd(um) Consuetud(inem) hui(us) man(er)ij p(er) reddit(um) et servic(ia) inde

prius debit(a) et de Jure consuet(a) &c Salvo Jure &c  Et

dat D(omi)nor(um) de Fin(e) &c  Et p(re)d(i)c(t)us Ed(wa)r(d)us fecit p(ro)inde ...

... of October in the year of the Lord 1643, as shown in the roll of the same court, and he (Edward) was admitted, and seisin by the rod was granted to him, to hold the aforesaid premises with appurtenances for himself and his heirs at the will of the lord, according to the custom of this manor, for payment and services thus previously owed and by right accustomed etc., saving the rights etc., and he gave to the lord as a fine etc., and the aforesaid Edward accordingly ... (did fealty? and was admitted tenant? has a line been cut off at the end?)

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 September 18 17:51 BST (UK) »
Bookbox
Amazing. Many thanks.
In the will there is a reference to a property called "Woodstile House" which I assume is this one. Could never work out where it was, so this is a major breakthrough!

Yes, unfortunately seem to have cropped out the last line (2 words) which I have added to this note. If you could just confirm the meaning then I would be most grateful.

cheers :D

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 September 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
In the will there is a reference to a property called "Woodstile House" which I assume is this one.

Yes, Woodstile looks much better here than Woodflete. Good suggestion.

the last line (2 words) which I have added to this note.

... Ed(wa)r(d)us fecit p(ro)inde
Fide(litatem) &c.

... Edward accordingly did fealty etc.

(The final etc. will presumably encompass the standard phrase '... and was admitted tenant'.)

ADDED - apologies, I just realised it is p(ro)inde, meaning 'accordingly', not p(er)inde -- now corrected above.

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 September 18 19:19 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
Just a couple of dating issues:

When it uses the term "now" or "the present court" ..... does this refer, in your view to the 27th October 1675 as stated in the preamble? This was found in the Norfolk Record Office under an Index for 1677-1686. Is that just a technicality?

In Part 1  "on the nineteenth day of July last past" - do I take this to be 1675 or 1674?