Author Topic: Will of Thomas Aylmer 1500  (Read 6439 times)

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Thomas Aylmer 1500
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 23 September 18 20:46 BST (UK) »
Re reply #23:
The Franciscan Friary of St Anthony of Padua at Camber Sands near Rye, East Sussex.
francoso

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 24 September 18 06:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks francoso.

Snippet #9:

...It(e)m to Thom(a)s p(ar)trych vjs viijd The Resydue of all

my goodes I co(m)mitte in to the handes and disposic(i)on of

myn(e) executo(u)res in dedes of Pete and mercy to the most

plesur of god and p(ro)fite to my soule whome I make

and ordeyne Executours of this my testament and

Last will my mother Elizabeth Thursby my Broder

Richard Aylemer Geffrey Styward Grocer and Richard...

Pete = could mean either Piety or Pity

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 24 September 18 06:30 BST (UK) »
Snippet #10:

...partrych and I bequeth to Iche of my said executeres for

ther(e) Labor(e) iiij [m(a)r(kes)?] yoven und(er) my seall day yer(e) and

Place a bove wretyn And I make and ordene sup(er)vyso(ur)

of this my testament and Last will Elizabeth Osbern

wedowe and I geve to the same Elizabeth for his
[sic] labo(ur)

xx s

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 24 September 18 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Willow: Norfolk Record Office:
NROCAT:  NCC Will register Gylys 97
                1518  Elizabeth Thursby,  late husband Robert Aylmer, widow.

From Will of Thomas Aylmer 1500 - Elizabeth Thursby his mother.

So Robert Aylmer married Elizabeth Thursby and they had a son Thomas Aylmer. You may have this already but if not ....
francoso

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 24 September 18 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, HD, this is brilliant work!!! :) :D :) I am so deeply grateful for this!

Thanks francoso.

Snippet #9:

...It(e)m to Thom(a)s p(ar)trych vjs viijd The Resydue of all

my goodes I co(m)mitte in to the handes and disposic(i)on of

myn(e) executo(u)res in dedes of Pete and mercy to the most

plesur of god and p(ro)fite to my soule whome I make

and ordeyne Executours of this my testament and

Last will my mother Elizabeth Thursby my Broder

Richard Aylemer Geffrey Styward Grocer and Richard...

Pete = could mean either Piety or Pity

!!!!!!!!!!

I think I know who Thomas is, as we have encountered him before!!! :)

More precisely in the will of his father here:

Will of Robert Aylmer 1493
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=799398.0

Robert Aylmer (d.1493), Grocer, Sheriff of Norwich in 1471, Alderman of Norwich in 1480, Mayor of Norwich in 1481 and 1492. He was married to Elizabeth, and had two sons, Richard (d.1512) and Thomas, and two daughters - Cecile and Elizabeth (d. 15th of September 1493). After his death his widow Elizabeth was involved in a suit with Sir William Knyvett - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_William_Knyvett.

Hi Willow: Norfolk Record Office:
NROCAT:  NCC Will register Gylys 97
                1518  Elizabeth Thursby,  late husband Robert Aylmer, widow.

From Will of Thomas Aylmer 1500 - Elizabeth Thursby his mother.

So Robert Aylmer married Elizabeth Thursby and they had a son Thomas Aylmer. You may have this already but if not ....
francoso

At some point after this suit, Robert Aylmer's widow Elizabeth remarries, to a Thomas Thursby!

I think there can be little doubt that our testator, this Thomas Aylmer, is the Thomas Aylmer from Robert Aylmer's will of 1493 :)

Robert Aylmer's son, Richard Aylmer (d.1512), Grocer, Sheriff of Norwich in 1501, Mayor in 1511. Married firstly to Joan, and had by her two sons and two daughters. After Joan's death he remarries again to an unknown second wife and has by her four daughters.

However, Thomas Aylmer's nephew John is an entirely new twig on this branch :)

The interesting thing is that he is therefore almost certainly not the same John Aylmer as the one mentioned in the document from 1488.

That means we have two John Aylmers were we previously had none in the right age to be Bishop John Aylmer's Father!

Furthermore, thanks to francoso in the other thread, http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=800382.54, we have this incredibly useful bit of information:

Norfolk and Norwich Archaeological Society Collection
NNAS G1-2 (originally Bookcase G, lockers 1-2)
Deeds relating to property in Mendham and Harleston
CatalogueRef: NNAS G2/1/3

Title   Grant, Thomas Mene of Harleston, John Sayer of Pulham St Mary, William Mene of Weybread, and John Gerrard of Harleston, to Alan Fuller of Harleston, Margaret his wife, William and Thomas their sons, and John Aylmer of Pulham St Mary: property as in last
Date: 17 Apr 1520
Repository   Norfolk Record Office
http://nrocat.norfolk.gov.uk/DServe/DServe.exe?dsqServer=NCC3CL01&dsqIni=Dserve.ini&dsqApp=Archive&dsqCmd=Show.tcl&dsqDb=Catalog&dsqPos=93&dsqSearch=%28%28text%29%3D%27Aylmer%27%29

Again, according to francoso in the other thread, Pulham St Mary is just the other side of the A140 at Tivetshall.

Tivetshall St. Margaret is traditionally where Bishop John Aylmer is said to have been born in 1521 :)

Thank you so much again! This is splendid!!! :) :D :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 00:05 BST (UK) »
Probatu(m) fuit p(re)scriptum test(amentu)m In Capella s(an)c(t)i leonardi

p(ro)pe Norwicu(m) xj die mens(is) decembr(is) Anno d(omi)ni

mill(esi)mo Quingentesimo Cora(m) M(agistro) Rogero Church &c

off(icia)li &c  Et com(m)issa fuit adm(in)istrac(i)o Ric(ard)o Aylemer(e) execu(tori)

in d(i)c(t)o test(ament)o no(m)i(n)at(o) [...?] d(i)c(t)i def(uncti) h(ab)ent(is) du(m) vix(i)t & mort(is)

sue tempore bona in div(er)s(is) dioc(esibus) Cant(uariensis) p(ro)vi(n)c(ie) in for(ma) iur(is)

Jurat(o)  Res(erva)ta p(o)t(est)ate si(mi)lem com(m)issione(m) faciend(i) alijs co(e)xec(utoribus)

in h(uius)mo(d)i test(ament)o no(m)i(n)at(is) cu(m) ven(er)int in for(ma) Jur(is) admiss(uri)

In cui(us) rei testi(m)o(n)iu(m) &c Dat(um) &c

The aforewritten will was proved in St Leonard’s Chapel near Norwich on the 11th day of the month of December in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred before Master Roger Church etc., official etc., and administration was granted to Richard Aylemer, the executor named in the said will [...?] of the said deceased, who whilst he lived and at the time of his death held goods in diverse dioceses of the Province of Canterbury; sworn in form of law; power reserved of making the like grant to the other co-executors named in this will when they shall come to be admitted in form of law. In witness of which etc., dated etc.

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 06:54 BST (UK) »
"Excursions in the County of Norfolk" by Thomas Kitson Cromwell.
p.11: the first stone of Norwich cathedral was laid by Bishop Herbert commonly know as Herbert de Losinga in 1096.
p.12: the justly celebrated pile was not completed until the year 1430, under the Presidency of Bishop Aylmer, 346 years after its commencement.

So there was another Bishop Aylmer besides John Aylmer (1521-1594)) of Aylmer Hall, Tivetshall St Margaret, Bishop of London.

You probably know this already but I didn't.

And Aylmer seems to go back at least to Ailmaric de Berriles or Beziles who was granted Beziles, or Boylands Manor in 1272. Sir Aylmer or Ailmaric, died in 1279. Boyland's manor (the one in question as there are 3 in Norfolk) is in Morningthorpe, which is about 2 km east of Long Stratton.
francoso

Offline francoso

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
Willow: just a few specifics.

1. https://www.british-history.ac.uk/topographical-hist-norfolk/vol4
City of Norwich, chapter 42: The Great Ward of Mancroft, St. Peter of Mancroft
(69) St. Peter of Mancroft.

The following inscriptions are in the nave; and first of those on brass plates, beginning at the most eastern part, just by the step out of the chancel, lies a large stone, having the effigies of a mayor in his robes, between his two wives; by the first wife are the effigies of her children, two boys and two girls; and by the second four girls; it being placed here in memory of Richard Aylmer, mayor in 1511, son of Robert Aylmer, who was mayor in 1481, and 1492, and Joan his first wife; he died in 1512. This inscription is printed in Weever's Funeral Monuments, fo. 802, as imperfect, though it is legible at this day:
Aylmer Ricardus Procerum de stipite natus, Is quondam Maior Urbis, iacet hic tumulatus, Hatis cum prima atque suis Consorte Johanna, Moribus ornatus, Bonus omnibus atque benignus, Anno Milleno, D, bind, cum duodeno, Jous semtembris trino, migrabit ob orbe. O bone Christe Thesu, fons bite, spes, Medicina, Votis inclina, te quesumus aure Benigna, Ut sibi sit Requies, bibat terum sine fine.

2. Notices of the merchants' marks in the city of Norwich. Ewing, William Creasy. p.11
p.11, 8.-1494. Richard Aylmer, Grocer. (?)
p.17, 7.-1493. Robert Aylmer, Mayor in 1481 and 1492. This mark, with his initials, is in several of the South windows in the clerestory. His gravestone, dated 1493, lies under the font.
p.43, 16.-1506. Richard Aylmer, Grocer, Mayor in 1511. He was buried at the East end of the nave in 1512. On a seal to a deed dated 1506.

3. A Compleat History of the Famous City of Norwich, from the Earliest ...
p.13, 1482 William Aylmer, Mayor; 1492 Richard Aylmer, Mayor; 1511 Richard Aylmer, Mayor; 1471 Robert Aylmer, Sherriff; 1501 Richard Aylmer, Sherriff;
p.14, 1536 Thomas Thetford, Sherriff.

4. A Daring Dynasty, Conflict and Control in Early-Tudor England by Mark R. Horowitz
p. 129/130 and footnote 101.

francoso

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 25 September 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Probatu(m) fuit p(re)scriptum test(amentu)m In Capella s(an)c(t)i leonardi

p(ro)pe Norwicu(m) xj die mens(is) decembr(is) Anno d(omi)ni

mill(esi)mo Quingentesimo Cora(m) M(agistro) Rogero Church &c

off(icia)li &c  Et com(m)issa fuit adm(in)istrac(i)o Ric(ard)o Aylemer(e) execu(tori)

in d(i)c(t)o test(ament)o no(m)i(n)at(o) [...?] d(i)c(t)i def(uncti) h(ab)ent(is) du(m) vix(i)t & mort(is)

sue tempore bona in div(er)s(is) dioc(esibus) Cant(uariensis) p(ro)vi(n)c(ie) in for(ma) iur(is)

Jurat(o)  Res(erva)ta p(o)t(est)ate si(mi)lem com(m)issione(m) faciend(i) alijs co(e)xec(utoribus)

in h(uius)mo(d)i test(ament)o no(m)i(n)at(is) cu(m) ven(er)int in for(ma) Jur(is) admiss(uri)

In cui(us) rei testi(m)o(n)iu(m) &c Dat(um) &c

The aforewritten will was proved in St Leonard’s Chapel near Norwich on the 11th day of the month of December in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred before Master Roger Church etc., official etc., and administration was granted to Richard Aylemer, the executor named in the said will [...?] of the said deceased, who whilst he lived and at the time of his death held goods in diverse dioceses of the Province of Canterbury; sworn in form of law; power reserved of making the like grant to the other co-executors named in this will when they shall come to be admitted in form of law. In witness of which etc., dated etc.

Thank you so much, Bookbox!!! :) :D :) You're a star! :) :-* :)

who whilst he lived and at the time of his death held goods in diverse dioceses of the Province of Canterbury

This is so interesting! So much money to be spent on (barfoot) pilgrimages, lol :) :) :) But that is very unusual, that the ones granting the probate actually sit up and make note of how wealthy the testator is!

The aforewritten will was proved in St Leonard’s Chapel near Norwich on the 11th day of the month of December in the year of the Lord one thousand five hundred before Master Roger Church etc., official etc., and administration was granted to Richard Aylemer, the executor named in the said will [...?]

And lots of little interesting details! How odd that he makes his brother Richard Aylmer his executor, but does not actually leave him anything in the will ... Though perhaps he and his mother (who is also mentioned) got the residue?

Are we thinking that Thomas Aylmer's nephew John is one of the two sons that we know Richard Aylmer had, or do we think that he could possibly be an illegitimate child of one of his sisters?

Perhaps of Elizabeth, the daughter of Robert Aylmer, who died on the 15th day of September in the year of the Lord one thousand four hundred and ninety three? A month or two after her father, but who is not mentioned in his will?

Or of a sister who married someone with the same last name?

I leave that question open for now.

Thank you so much again, Bookbox, this was wonderful!!! :) :D :)