Author Topic: What newspaper is referenced as CMC  (Read 7444 times)

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What newspaper is referenced as CMC
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 22 November 18 20:17 GMT (UK) »
There is a Topic about the Cheshire Fencibles here on rootschat from nine years ago. It also mentions George Audley.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=379120.0
2. You say you have not found any references to George Audley in the London Gazette. I manages to find 3 references to him as follows:
London Gazette Issue 13812 published 8th September 1795 page 4 of 20
London Gazette issue 15003 published 31st March 1789 page 2 of 8
London Gazette Issue 15197 published 22nd October 1799 page 9 of 16
I found him by searching the London Gazette website for the phrase "George Audley"
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 22 November 18 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 22 November 18 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chinapaddy and Hallmark,
Thanks for your most recent messages.

Hallmark - With regard to your links to the Cork Archives. Are you saying that there is something specific in the Cork Archives relevant to George Audley and/or the Cheshire Fencibles or are you just informing me of the Cork Archives website?

Chinapaddy - Thanks to the Rootschat message from 2009. I have now looked at the references in the London Gazette and they just record his rise through the ranks. If I can get to see the muster rolls in the Archives at Kew it will hopefully tell me where he was before joining the Cheshire Fencibles and where he went after they were disbanded.

Hallmark - Regarding your link to the durrush history website. I can see some information about the Cheshire Fencibles but could not find anything about George Audley. Have I missed something?

Hallmark - Thanks to the link to the Rootschat topic 657008.0. I must admit I had already found that thread and it was from that topic that I got the references for the Cheshire Fencibles  at the National Archives in Kew.

Thanks to both for your help

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 22 November 18 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your most recent messages.

Hallmark - With regard to your links to the Cork Archives. Are you saying that there is something specific in the Cork Archives relevant to George Audley and/or the Cheshire Fencibles or are you just informing me of the Cork Archives website?

Yes but there is a contact email address there for queries etc

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 23 November 18 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark,
Thanks for the Clarification, I now understand what you were telling me.

My current theory is that George Audley was baptised in 1776 in Nantwich, Cheshire. He joined the Cheshire Fencibles. The Cheshire Fencibles were posted to Bantry, where George Audley met a local girl, Margaret Blair, they married in Christchurch Cork in 1802.  I believe that the Cheshire Fencibles were disbanded in either 1801 or 1802, hence they moved back to England (Liverpool), where their son (George) was baptised in 1803.  For some reason George then joined the Royal Newfoundland Regt of Fencible Infantry and died 26th May 1806 at Fort Ann, Annapolis, Nova Scotia.  In his will he leaves everything to his wife and child, but unfortunately his will does not give their names.
His wife Margaret then a widow moved back to Bantry (presumably to her parents) and remarried to Thomas Blair Patterson in 1825.

To me the above information hangs together well although still needs a bit of checking.
The key questions for me are:
What the Margaret Audley who married Thomas Blair Patterson in 1825, a widow and
What happened to the Son (George) of George  Audley and Margaret Blair? Could he be the George Audley who married in 1826 to Sarah Robinson in Waterford?

I am slowly building a logical story.

Offline chinapaddy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 23 November 18 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Sacred to the Memory of
Ensign George Audley of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment
Who died the 25th day of May, 1806 In the 30th year of his Age
This stone is placed by his Brother Officers
As a testimony of their friendship and esteem.

Are there more than one or two "George Audley's" around that time?
The one born in 1776 in Nantwich was George Penlington Audley
Corri, Holland,
Newman, Kiernan,
Lyons, Murphy

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 23 November 18 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hallmark,
Thanks for the Clarification, I now understand what you were telling me.

My current theory is that George Audley was baptised in 1776 in Nantwich, Cheshire. He joined the Cheshire Fencibles. The Cheshire Fencibles were posted to Bantry, where George Audley met a local girl, Margaret Blair, they married in Christchurch Cork in 1802.  I believe that the Cheshire Fencibles were disbanded in either 1801 or 1802, hence they moved back to England (Liverpool), where their son (George) was baptised in 1803.  For some reason George then joined the Royal Newfoundland Regt of Fencible Infantry and died 26th May 1806 at Fort Ann, Annapolis, Nova Scotia.  In his will he leaves everything to his wife and child, but unfortunately his will does not give their names.
His wife Margaret then a widow moved back to Bantry (presumably to her parents) and remarried to Thomas Blair Patterson in 1825.

To me the above information hangs together well although still needs a bit of checking.
The key questions for me are:
What the Margaret Audley who married Thomas Blair Patterson in 1825, a widow and
What happened to the Son (George) of George  Audley and Margaret Blair? Could he be the George Audley who married in 1826 to Sarah Robinson in Waterford?

I am slowly building a logical story.

As you see when she marriied  Thomas Blair Patterson of Fanlobbus (Dunmanway) Bantry in 1825  she is named as  Mrs Margaret Audley  so must be a Widow or she was a bigamist!!     

Offline GRO10a852

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 23 November 18 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for both for your last replies.

Chinapaddy -  The stone that was laid to the memory of  George Audley that you refer to is definately the George Penlington Audley who was born in Nantwich, Cheshire in 1776.  The reason I am so sure is that the Executor of his will was his sister who also had Penlington as a second forename. (Penlington being the maiden name of their mother) I think it is almost certain that that the George Audley who died in 1806 is the same George Audley who was in the Cheshire Fensibles and who married Margaret Blair. Hopefully The records of the Cheshire Fensible Regiment, will give documentary evidence of this. One thing I do not understand is why George Audley made his sister the executor of his will and not his wife.

Hallmark - The previous information that was given on 15th November by 'Celtic Liberty' from the Constitution Newspaper refers to the bride as Margaret Audley and gave no information as to her marital status. Thanks for confirming that at the time of Margaret Audley's marriage she is described as Mrs. Can you please advise the source of your information?

'Celtic Liberty' in her quote from the Constitution Newspaper has:
At Desert Church Thomas Blair Patterson of Capinaweel, in Cork county married Margaret Audley of Bantry and
you have told me that Thomas Blair Patterson of Fanlobus (Dunmanway) Bantry married Mrs Margaret Audley
Is Fanlobus (Dunmanway) Bantry the same place as Capinaweel?
From your source did the marriage take place at Desert church?
Regards