Author Topic: What has Rootschat done for you?  (Read 11724 times)

Offline steve62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What has Rootschat done for you?
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 27 September 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Been a member for some years and can only say without the help of other members many of my "brickwalls" would still be exactly that.  The talent of experiance of members is so diverse, its incredible what people find and you can't.  For me its best forum and believe me I have tried many in past, but none can touch Rootschat members help.

Just as a side note to compensate for all the help I started a posting "Italian Research" and in return have helped many members.  I have not always been successful in a few cases.

We are a great team  together and lets shout it to everyone.

Steve62
Boaler/Bowler/Boler - UK/Canada/USA/Australia
Hamer - UK
Mendle - Russia/UK
Goldstein - Russia/UK
Mazorkoff - UK/USA
Kapatofsky - Russia/Uk/USA
La Camera - Italy

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 27 September 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
its incredible what people find and you can't.
I have said this before and my thoughts are that other people don't have the emotional attachment we have with 'our own' FH.... which tends to make us look where we think they will be and not look in places where we think they were not.... other people don't have that emotional connection

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 27 September 18 18:12 BST (UK) »
I have said this before and my thoughts are that other people don't have the emotional attachment we have with 'our own' FH.... which tends to make us look where we think they will be and not look in places where we think they were not.... other people don't have that emotional connection

I agree. I know there have been examples, even here, where people have said "That can't possibly be my relative, they never moved from xxxxxxx." or "Can't be mine as they didn't spell their name like that."  With patience and skill people have proved without doubt that, "Yes they are your relatives because....."  - and then explained the reasons and shown records etc. In one way, it is far easier searching for someone else rather than looking for your own relatives.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 27 September 18 20:14 BST (UK) »

I agree. I know there have been examples, even here, where people have said "That can't possibly be my relative, they never moved from xxxxxxx." or "Can't be mine as they didn't spell their name like that."  With patience and skill people have proved without doubt that, "Yes they are your relatives because....."  - and then explained the reasons and shown records etc. In one way, it is far easier searching for someone else rather than looking for your own relatives.

Yep happened to me in my research brickwalls at least a couple of times .......and the RCs proved otherwise. I dismissed what I found as " she wasn't born in xxx" like the newspaper report said ....the newspaper got that bit wrong but not the rest of the records which I hadn't followed
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 01 October 18 00:11 BST (UK) »
A truly global community, RootsChat is probably unique for allowing Welsh-speakers like myself to post in our first language (thankyou Trystan!) and for providing us with our own Welsh-language board. ( I eventually left a family history board run by the BBC as my Welsh posts broke the English-only rule). It is a pleasure  to be able to help RChatters with research and translations of MIs and death notices; Rootschat has also provided me with invaluable research links, not to mention its being an ever-growing and treasured compendium of social and political history. Hir oes and a long life to RC!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 01 October 18 08:02 BST (UK) »
Rootschat, and my Family Tree hobby have seen me through the last ten or more years - can't quite believe it - in fact with Rootschat I think it is much more.  This past couple of years, things have slowed down - have done a good percentage of my research thanks on many occasions to rootschatters help and guidance.  In particular this past 18 months, I have been unable to do much FT wise, due to caring 24/7 for my OH.  But even now, when time is precious, I still find time to check out the latest RC stuff.  Being able to switch my brain to other things, (also with another non FT Italian site, where I can practice my Italian language interest) - just helps me to keep going.  As a carer, I recommend any of these sort of hobbies to keep the brain going - and to "change tack" completely from the worries of everyday life.  And Thank you to all who work hard for this site - it is truly appreciated!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
I've been a Rootschatter for ten years now. I think i Googled something and came across it by chance.
I know I was an "onlooker" for a while before I tried a post - trying to figure out how the site worked.

Most of my family are in Ireland and I live in Dublin, so I was used to going to the various archives in person for 10 or 12 years.
I'd done a little in London and Belfast, but it was wonderful to meet people online who could help with my various relatives who'd gone to USA, Canada, Australia, etc. In addition people who knew more about UK Archives, War records etc.

I've been able to help a little, but nothing like the amount of help I've received.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:44 BST (UK) »
Great thread started by GS....now 6 pages long and yet no-one has mention that they have had their  photos restored in answer to the question "what has Rootschat done for you"!!!!...so come on you guys...get posting and give us something to do.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 01 October 18 12:54 BST (UK) »
I joined in 2006.
Rootschat has given me recipe ideas, gardening advice, links to some distant 'cousins', friends worldwide (one I've met a couple of times), help with laptop problems, some restored photos, the opportunity to appear in some virtual pantos..............and lots of help with my family tree. Helped to distract me during stressful times;  thank you.  :-*

I must have been whispering!    ;)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk