Author Topic: What has Rootschat done for you?  (Read 11733 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: What has Rootschat done for you?
« Reply #54 on: Monday 01 October 18 13:06 BST (UK) »
Of course, Carol, there must be hundreds of people who have benefitted from the skill of the people on the restoration boards. I know that I have, so thank you.

Then there were the wonderful people who helped me find a death for which I'd been searching for years, and the lovely person who offered to translate some old German birth and marriage records - the list just goes on and on.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 01 October 18 20:22 BST (UK) »
When I recommend Rootschat to family history researchers I always recommend that whilst wandering about seeing what it's like, they check out the Photo Board to see the wonderful restorations carried out by such talented restorers.

I have had relatives brought back to life by sensitive colourations as I'm sure many have.

And once was reduced to tears by someone who cut out from a group shot and enlarged a picture of my dad, aged 10.

I'd not asked for it - it was done because someone evidently just knew what it would mean to me. It really did.

And what happy memories of working out where pictures were taken! From the smallest clue Rootschatters can deduce the solution
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 01 October 18 20:55 BST (UK) »
The “Cazza” series?
Happy days(and nights!)...

Regards
Roger

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 01 October 18 22:32 BST (UK) »
I was looking through, and thoroughly enjoying, re-reading all the posts on this thread recently, Carol, and what I noticed most was that, apart from mentioning help with FTs, the second most numerous vote of thanks went to the photo restorers on the Restoration Board so I think a pat on the back is more than due there!  I was also interested to note that some people also mentioned the panto,  which 'Despair' listed as the 'gloriously bonkers' Theatre Production Company.  So, if we do another panto this year, we will be calling it The Gloriously Bonkers Theatre Production Company  ;D  Thanks for that, Roger  :)
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 01 October 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
Yes I agree with all the great comments about this wonderful Free resource and when I recommend it to friends, they can't believe that there is so much on offer without having to pay a subscription. In common with many other chatters I started out seeking help from the many knowledgeable people on here and ended up giving something back when and where I can, mostly through restoring or dating photos but the source of photos of late seems to have dried up  ::)
Thanks for posting GS....it's good to read how people have benefitted not only from research help but from a social aspect too which keeps us coming back, which is especially important for the lonely and isolated individuals.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 10 October 18 15:48 BST (UK) »
This is a wonderful thread to read. I hope you don't mind me joining at this late stage, I was on holiday when this was posted.
I joined in April 2009 and I posted a photo of a soldier from the 1800s for identification. I had great help and got the answer from John Young. To my dismay, I find I never thanked him for his help and one of my pet hates is when you don't get a thank you. I would send him a PM to thank him at this late date, but he hasn't been on Rootschat for a year.
From this woeful beginning I posted many queries and got many detailed answers, it is amazing to see the work that complete strangers put into help others.
I must also add my thanks to the Technical people who have helped keep me going a few times.
Like Carol (Treetotal) I discovered the Photo restoration site and was fascinated to see the wonderful transformations done to damaged photos. This fascinated me and I started to restore some but never posted them. I then found the courage to post some restorations and I still do. It is like magic when a badly creased and torn photo is brought back to life.
I am an elderly lady suffering from arthritis in my hips, knees and ankles, but amazingly my hands have escaped from this terrible affliction.
So what has Rootschat done for me? As I am confined to sitting for long periods of time it has given me a new lease of life. I read it every day searching for anything I can reply to. I can sit for hours restoring photos and I have had great help with all my queries.
Thank you everybody for this wonderful site and to Trystan and Sarah for starting the ball rolling and please keep your photos coming to the restoration board.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 11 October 18 07:19 BST (UK) »
I was looking through, and thoroughly enjoying, re-reading all the posts on this thread recently, Carol, and what I noticed most was that, apart from mentioning help with FTs, the second most numerous vote of thanks went to the photo restorers on the Restoration Board so I think a pat on the back is more than due there!  I was also interested to note that some people also mentioned the panto,  which 'Despair' listed as the 'gloriously bonkers' Theatre Production Company.  So, if we do another panto this year, we will be calling it The Gloriously Bonkers Theatre Production Company  ;D  Thanks for that, Roger  :)

👍👍
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Floozy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Susan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 11 October 18 08:51 BST (UK) »
It has connected  me with distant  cousins, a school  colleague  and new friends.  Love this site.
DEWSTOWE/DUSTOW, WADE, REED, ROGERS, GARRETT, HAY, KERR, BAS-TED HUSBAND  COOKE/COOK, GOWER, JEFFREYS,DAVIES, OATES or OATS, , GREASLEY/GREASLY, BIRD, BOSWELL, WILLEY, WHEADON, PARKER, ABBOTT?(maybe not related), JONES, QUINN, SCOTT, ISBESTER or ISBISTER?, LLOYD, RICHARDS, WHETTALL
Names come from Redruth, Cornwall, Wales, Scotland and possibly Ireland. And other parts of England.
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Katharine F

• RootsChat Member
  • You are hiding Annie but one day I will find you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 14 October 18 17:01 BST (UK) »
I looked to see when I joined and it was in April 2009. Where has all that time gone?

It is lovely to see that a lot of the people who were here when I first joined are still here.
Some though have disappeared and I so hope they are ok.

I have had more help than I have been able to give and am really grateful.

Long may this site remain.  :)