Author Topic: Pulham Manor court book 1670s - entries in LATIN  (Read 499 times)

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pulham Manor court book 1670s - entries in LATIN
« on: Tuesday 25 September 18 19:20 BST (UK) »

2 documents attached from 1671 and 1672 parts of Pulham Manor Court Book regarding William ARTIS that need English "translation". Documents downloaded from Family Search images - hoping that resolution is acceptable (unfortunately the way the book was filmed means that some lines appear to "run into" the spine)

[NOTE: Unable to find any reference in the 1675 entries - perhaps this was an error made in the 1680 entry(?) ... should have been 1672]

dejay

Artis (Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge / London)
Noller and Staff (Suffolk)
Cantwell and Driscoll (London and Ireland)
Harding (Littlehapton & Bethnal Green)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Pulham Manor court book 1670s - entries in LATIN
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 12:18 BST (UK) »
Snippet 1671

[in the margin] [Ar]tis & Artis

Comp(er)tum est p(er) homagiu(m) hui(us) cur(ie) q(uo)d Will(elm)us Artis

nat(ivus) ten(en)s hui(us) Man(er)ij ex(tr)a cur(iam) et post de ult(ima)

cur(ia) scil(ice)t decimo nono die Julij Anno D(omi)ni 1671

Sursumredd(it) in manus d(omi)ni d(i)c(t)i Man(er)ij p(er) manus

Joh(ann)is ffuller nat(ivi) ten(enti)s hui(us) Man(er)ij in p(re)sentia

Rob(er)ti George & Sare Carsey consili(a)to(rum)[?] nat(ivorum) ten(en)tiu(m)

eiusdem man(er)ij om(n)ia Messuagia terr(as) & ten(amen)ta sua nat(iva)

tent(a) de hoc Man(er)io p(er) copia Rot(uli) cur(ie) modo in

occupac(i)one Petri Martin & Assign(ati) sui ad opus et

usu(m) Will(elm)i Artis filij Will(elm)i Artis nup(er) de Stockton

defunct(i) & hered(ium) suor(um) inp(er)petuo Im(m)ediate post

decessu(m) d(i)c(t)i Will(elm)i Artis Avi d(i)c(t)o Will(elm)o Artis.

It was found by the homage that William Artis, copyhold tenant of this manor beyond the court, did after the last court – namely on the nineteenth day of July in the year of the Lord 1671 – surrender into the hands of the lord of the said manor, through the hands of John Fuller, copyhold tenant of this manor, and in the presence of Robert George and Sarah Carsey, council members of the copyhold tenants of the same manor, all his copyhold messuages, lands and tenements held of this manor by copy of court roll, now in the occupation of Peter Martin and his assign, for the use and behoof of William Artis, son of William Artis lately of Stockton deceased, and his heirs for ever, immediately after the death of the said William Artis the grandfather of the said William Artis.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 12:22 BST (UK) »
Snippet 1672

[in the margin] Artis & Artis

Cum ad ult(imam) cur(iam) hic tent(am) p(re)sentatu(m) fuit p(er) homagiu(m)

Istius cur(ie) q(uo)d Will(elm)us Artis nat(ivus) ten(en)s hui(us) Man(er)ij ex(tra)

cur(iam) et ante Istam cur(iam) scil(ice)t decimo nono die Julij A(nno)

D(omi)ni 1671 sursumredd(it) in manus d(omi)ni d(i)c(t)i Man(er)ij p(er)

manus Joh(ann)is ffuller nat(ivi) ten(ent)is hui(us) Man(er)ij in p(re)sen(tia)

& test(at)io(ne)[?] Rob(er)ti George & Sare Carsey consili(a)to(rum)[?] nat(ivorum)

ten(en)tiu(m) eiusd(e)m Man(er)ij om(n)ia Messuagia terr(as) & ten(emen)ta su(a)

nat(iva) tent(a) de hoc Man(er)io p(er) copia Rot(uli) cur(ie) modo in

occupac(i)one Petri Martin & Assign(ati) sui ad opus et

usu(m) Will(elm)i Artis filij Will(elm)i Artis nup(er) de Stockton

defunct(i) et hered(ium) suor(um) inp(er)petuo Im(m)ediete post

decessu(m) p(re)dic(ti) Will(elm)i Artis Avi et quia &c [...]

Modo ad hanc cur(iam) venit p(re)di(c)t(us Will(elm)us filius

et petit ex gra(tia) d(omi)ni d(i)c(t)i Man(er)ij admitti ad

p(re)missa scil(ice)t ad unu(m) ten(amen)tu(m) nat(ivum) quond(a)m Joh(ann)is

Hanworth postea Ed(ward)i Gibbons ac ^ad^ septem acras et

dimid(iem) terr(e) et pastur(e) sit plus sive minus cum p(er)t[inentijs]

in Pulham s(an)c(t)e Marie q(ue) p(re)missa p(re)dic(ta) Will(elm)us

Artis avus cepit sibi et hered(ibus) suis ex sursumre[dditione]

ffranc(isc)i Clayton ^ad cur(iam) hic tent(am)^ Tricesimo die septembris Anno d[...]

Anno D(omi)ni 1635 p(ro)ut p(er) Rot(ulum) eiusd(e)m cur(ie) patet et

Admissus est inde ten(en)s cui lib(er)ata est inde sei(sin)a(m) ^p(er) virgam^ ten(endum)

p(re)d(i)ct(a) p(re)missa cu(m) p(er)tin(entijs) sibi et hered(ibus) suis ad vol(untatem)

d(omi)ni s(e)c(un)d(um) consuetud(inem) hui(us) Man(er)ij p(er) redd(itum) & servic(ia)

inde prius debit(a) et de Jure consuet(a) &c Salvo Jure &c

Et dat d(omi)no de ffin(e) &c Et fecit p(ro)inde ffidd(elitatem) &c

Whereas at the last court held here it was presented by the homage of that court that William Artis, copyhold tenant of this manor outside the court did, before that court, namely on the nineteenth day of July in the year of the Lord 1671, surrender into the hands of the lord of the same manor through the hands of John Fuller, copyhold tenant of this manor, in the presence of Robert George and Sarah Carsey bearing witness, counsellors of the copyhold tenants of the same manor, all his copyhold messuages, lands and tenements held of this manor by copy of court roll, now in the occupation of Peter Martin and his assign, for the use and behoof of William Artis, son of William Artis lately of Stockton, deceased, and his heirs for ever, immediately after the death of the aforesaid William Artis, grandfather; and because etc., now to this court came the aforesaid William the son and sought by the grace of the lord of this manor to be admitted to the premises, namely, to one copyhold tenement, formerly of John Hanworth and afterwards of Edward Gibbons, and to seven and half acres of land and pasture, more or less, with appurtenances, in Pulham St Mary, which premises the aforesaid William Artis the grandfather took for himself and his heirs from the surrender of Francis Clayton at the court held here on the thirteenth day of September in the year of the Lord 1635, as shown in the roll of the same court; and he was thenceforth admitted tenant, and seisin by the rod was delivered to him to hold the aforesaid premises with appurtenances to himself and his heirs, at the will of the lord and according to the custom of this manor, for rent and services thence previously owed and by right accustomed etc., saving the rights etc., and he gave to the lord as a fine etc., and he accordingly did fealty etc.

=====
ADDED - Nativus strictly translates as 'villein' (as in the entry I translated for you earlier). But I think by this late date it must simply indicate a 'copyhold tenant', as translated above.

Offline dejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 19:36 BST (UK) »
Much appreciated - many thanks.
dejay
Artis (Norfolk / Suffolk / Cambridge / London)
Noller and Staff (Suffolk)
Cantwell and Driscoll (London and Ireland)
Harding (Littlehapton & Bethnal Green)