Author Topic: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!  (Read 3149 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #18 on: Friday 28 September 18 18:38 BST (UK) »
Here's an example of similar efforts 23andme have made to gain new 'pure' 4 grandparent samples to increase the accuracy of their DNA ethnicity estimates

https://blog.23andme.com/23andme-research/the-african-genetics-project/

https://research.23andme.com/populations-collaborations/

23andme also confirm they also use their own users submitted data who answer in their survey questions that they have all four grandparents born in the same country, but will filter those down:

"Customers comprise the lion's share of the reference datasets used by Ancestry Composition. When a 23andMe research participant tells us that they have four grandparents all born in the same country — and the country isn't a colonial nation like the US, Canada, or Australia — that person becomes a candidate for inclusion in the reference data. We filter out all but one of any set of closely related people, since including closely related relatives can distort the results. And we remove outliers, people whose genetic ancestry doesn't seem to match up with their survey answers. To ensure a representative dataset, we filter aggressively — nearly ten percent of reference dataset candidates don't make the cut."

https://www.23andme.com/en-gb/ancestry-composition-guide/

It's possible Ancestry does this in an automated way by examining linked trees as there was no similar question I recall in the Ancestry process.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #19 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:38 BST (UK) »

Many families had maybe 3 children born Ireland, went to Scotland (for example), had a child there and came back to Ireland,....so if someone's g/father or g/mother was the one born Scotland, then they don't qualify!   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 28 September 18 19:43 BST (UK) »

Many families had maybe 3 children born Ireland, went to Scotland (for example), had a child there and came back to Ireland,....so if someone's g/father or g/mother was the one born Scotland, then they don't qualify!   ;D

Quite. As I said earlier it's scientifically iffy by being based on a false premise.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 September 18 20:26 BST (UK) »

Quite. As I said earlier it's scientifically iffy by being based on a false premise.
I think you are looking at it the wrong way round. It may well be that you and others have cases, where it seems illogical, and in fact all four grandparents were from the same area of Ireland/Scotland but one was born in a far away city. But maybe it IS the case that IF you DO have four grandparents all born within 50 miles of each other, then statistically that person is more likely to have, in at least part, a long standing DNA connection to that area than other people who don't fulfil the four grandparent requirement.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 September 18 20:37 BST (UK) »
Definitely not looking at it the wrong way!

It assumes a pretty immobile population.  People have moved around for work even before the Industrial Revolution. To assume that because people are born in a certain area then their ancestors are also from that area  shows a lack of / knowledge of social  and economic history.

It is very rare that any of us have ancestors who remained in the same 80k area (Sinann is an exception) over even 50 years, let alone longer.

I've carried out  many pieces of research for friends and helped people on here and, believe me, it's rare to have such static families.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:29 BST (UK) »
I have to agree with Gadget and others here.

My grandfather's parents, grandparents, etc. came from a very close geographical area in Ireland but he was born in Philadelphia after his parents moved to America. Presumably changing country of residence doesn't change or shouldn't DNA results.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 September 18 21:37 BST (UK) »
Definitely not looking at it the wrong way!

It assumes a pretty immobile population.  People have moved around for work even before the Industrial Revolution. To assume that because people are born in a certain area then their ancestors are also from that area  shows a lack of social  and economic history.

It is very rare that any of us have ancestors who remained in the same 80k area (Sinann is an exception) over even 50 years, let alone longer.

I've carried out  many pieces of research for friends and helped people on here and, believe me, it's rare to have such static families.
I absolutely agree that people are far more mobile than they were, and started to become so to a much greater extent in the 19th century. But the point is I think that people who DO fulfil the 50 mile requirement will be relatively rare. I don't fulfil the requirement and neither do my parents. Only do two of my grandparents fulfil it (both dead). So that does give an indication that as you go back you will see lesser movement amongst your ancestors. It may well be that people who do fulfil the requirement fit certain social or occupational classes that are more likely to be static over some generations back than others. As all the DNA companies use this methodology I am pretty sure it has some basis in sound statistics and science.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:04 BST (UK) »
I've not found anything apart from this link, Ruskie:

https://pages.livingdna.com/familynetworks

When i log in, the first  page just tells me that I've uploaded my DNA test and then links to the Taking the Guesswork Out of DNA Relationships  page.

Thanks for that Gadget. I will have another look around.

I thought that another site which might find me some new matches, especially one which is UK based, seemed too good to be true.

I will investigate if it is possible to "close my account" as I don't think it will be if any use to me unfortunately.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 September 18 22:25 BST (UK) »

Thanks for that Gadget. I will have another look around.

I thought that another site which might find me some new matches, especially one which is UK based, seemed too good to be true.

I will investigate if it is possible to "close my account" as I don't think it will be if any use to me unfortunately.

If you find out how to close your account and to have DNA file removed, Ruskie, do let me know, please.

I've found that my closest matches have been Ancestry and My Heritage.

Gadget

Added - my tree (inc DNA matches)  is mainly UK & Eire, Canada, USA and Australia.