Author Topic: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 September 18 12:59 BST (UK) »
I'm not quite sure how where someone was born can be an accurate reflection of anything except where they were born.

For example,  grandparents  born in Scotland because Welsh/Irish/English  parents had moved there says very little about their ethnicity. They weren't Scottish, they were of Welsh/Irish/English parentage. 

I think it's all scientifically very iffy.

Gadget

Added - the danger of concentrating on ethnicity per se is the  possibility of  racism.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LivingDNA Project looking for DNA samples Scots & Irish & World 3 days to go!
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Family Networks is probably as you say Melba.

I think I will give it a miss for the time being ...  :)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:25 BST (UK) »
As I read this thread I like the idea less and less.
Not only are my grandparents from 80k of each other but all my great grandparents and as far as I can tell my great great grandparents so I guess  I'd be just what they are looking for.
If you don't have to do the Family Networks thingy it would probably be okay.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:33 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if there is anything do on the site without signing up for Family Networks, and if so, where is it?

I can't see a menu that leads anywhere but round in circles. :-\ I am probably missing something obvious.

I know when I joined "My Heritage" there was a bit of a wait before you could access your matches.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 September 18 13:59 BST (UK) »
I've not found anything apart from this link, Ruskie:

https://pages.livingdna.com/familynetworks

When i log in, the first  page just tells me that I've uploaded my DNA test and then links to the Taking the Guesswork Out of DNA Relationships  page.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 September 18 14:22 BST (UK) »
I'd qualify, all four grandparents within 80k in Ireland, just not sure if I want to.

Go, on, why not :). Living DNA has already a much more regional breakdown and better samples for England and Wales so far than likely any company, it would be great to get that level of detail for Ireland & Scotland too, as well as everywhere else! There is a big thread on Eupedia on this here

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/34771-Living-DNA-launching-One-Family-One-World-Project-in-cooperation-with-Eupedia

I was reading the thread linked to but it appears I went over the number of posts I'm allow to read without signing up.
I read page one, and everyone was mostly excited, I than skipped to page 4 and 5 and the mood seemed to have changed quite a bit.
Comments such as 'unprofessional company', granted from last year and I'm not entirely sure what they got annoyed about, something about how the offer was worded and talk of a fee, but rather off putting non the less.
Think I'll be giving it a miss.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 September 18 15:00 BST (UK) »
Can somebody please explain what they are trying to achieve. My four grandparents were born in the same town, but three of my great grandparents were born 2 or 300 miles away from that town. I accept that if your four grandparents were all born in the same town, it is fairly likely that their parents were born nearby but as I have just proved it's not always that way.

Martin

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 September 18 15:01 BST (UK) »
I'm not quite sure how where someone was born can be an accurate reflection of anything except where they were born.

For example,  grandparents  born in Scotland because Welsh/Irish/English  parents had moved there says very little about their ethnicity. They weren't Scottish, they were of Welsh/Irish/English parentage. 

I think it's all scientifically very iffy.

Gadget

Added - the danger of concentrating on ethnicity per se is the  possibility of  racism.
I agree it is not perfect, but it is probably one of the more accurate methods to get people who more often than not may be more ethnically homogenous than others. The only other way would be to appeal to family history addicts specifically, and specifically family history addicts who have ancestry from a relatively confined area, which would be a pretty small group of people.
   I don't really see a racist risk, rather the opposite in fact. The vast majority of people who do these tests show up to be quite a mix, and many black people, or people of Middle Eastern or North African descent seem at the very least curious and sometimes fairly pleased to learn they are of European origin in some way. Ditto for white people discovering they are of middle eastern, asian, Jewish or North African origin.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 September 18 15:04 BST (UK) »
Can somebody please explain what they are trying to achieve. My four grandparents were born in the same town, but three of my great grandparents were born 2 or 300 miles away from that town. I accept that if your four grandparents were all born in the same town, it is fairly likely that their parents were born nearby but as I have just proved it's not always that way.

Martin
Martin, this isn't just something LivingDNA is doing, it is something 23andme, Ancestry and all the others have already been doing - the pure samples of 4 grandparents from a specific region. It is statistically the only real way to build up a genetic picture of a country. If they do get further family tree data, either from the user, or by their own research, presumably this helps to make the picture more accurate still.