Author Topic: Alnwick baptism 1798, where to look?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alnwick baptism 1798, where to look?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 October 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
A few things different and to add

Maria Theresa Strother born 7 Jan [1798] baptised 4 Oct 1798 1st daughter of Frances Thomas Strother, grocer, native of this parish by his wife Anne Edis, native of Huntington. 

This is from a Herbert Maxwell Wood transcript.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 October 18 18:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you Janis, every little snippet helps when researching in this time period. The details I have are from a PDF of a book written in 1891 about the Strother family. It lists Strother entries from the parish registers so I am trying to clarify the accuracy of these transcripts.
The transcript for Maria's younger brother is:
1803 Aug. 21 Francis Thomas born July 11th 1800 1 st son of Francis Thomas Strother Mercht. Native of West Florida North America son of Thomas Strother Gentleman of Newton by his wife Ann Edis native of Huntingdon.
but the BTs don't include the reference to West Florida, a connection I am currently exploring
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 October 18 22:10 BST (UK) »
My transcripts states he was born West Florida, N. America.

Ann #1 or second daughter was not baptised before her death in Sept 1801 at age 9 weeks?  I am surprised Francis Thomas jr was not baptised the same day as his sister was buried.  He was over a year old then.

Interesting read about the Free and Independent Republic of West Florida (for 74 days in 1810).   Francis Thomas Sr. would have been born around that time of the disputes over boundaries.  Wonder which time frame.  British, French or Spanish rule?

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 October 18 01:32 BST (UK) »
Francis Thomas Snr was born about 1772 based on a burial in July 1811, aged 39, his wife lived until 1851. Mobile was in West Florida under British rule from 1763 until 1780 and his father Thomas was a merchant who apparently married out there and had two more children, plus three more back in Alnwick. I have some transcripts and other secondary evidence but I like to flesh out the bones with as much original stuff as possible :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.