Author Topic: Will of Roger Aylmer 1497  (Read 6824 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Will of Roger Aylmer 1497
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Snippet #13:

...disposed be ye good advise of m(e)y executores in p(er)formance of

yis m(e)y last wyll and in other dedes of pyte & m(er)cy It(e)m I beqweth to

Dame Alys Toke Nunne in ye Nunry of Brusyerd xl s to dispose

w(i)t(h)in ye place their by her discresc(i)on It(e)m I beqweth to ye seid Anne

m(e)y dowght(er) a goblet of Sylv(er) w(i)t(h) ye Cover a grete Sylver Spone

a ffethyrbedde iiij peyer of Shetys ij materasses a trannsam(e)* and

ij cov(er)lyghtes And I wull she have sufficient clothyng at m(e)y cost

whan ste she is cladde a Nunne. And whan ye same Anne is p(ro)fessed...

* trannsam(e) - This is in my view the most likely transcription but may not be correct.

If correct, it should mean something which crosses something else, presumably related to bed furnishing.

ADDED:

Brusyerd seems likely to be Bruisyard Abbey in Suffolk, a house of the Poor Clares in the period of the will.

I can't find evidence of Dame Alice Toke.  Strict reading says the surname is Toke, but it's possible it could be Coke.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:27 BST (UK) »
Is it possible elyse could be olyve?

Not really, no.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:54 BST (UK) »
One of the meanings of the word transom is "a strengthening crossbar, in particular one set above a window or door", so maybe in this instance for hanging bed curtains?

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 07 October 18 16:59 BST (UK) »
Snippet #13:

ADDED:

Brusyerd seems likely to be Bruisyard Abbey in Suffolk, a house of the Poor Clares in the period of the will.

For what it's worth, I agree, having lived in Bruisyard.  Pronounced 'Brooz-yard'.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 07 October 18 17:31 BST (UK) »
Snippet #13:

w(i)t(h)in ye place their by her discresc(i)on It(e)m I beqweth to ye seid Anne

m(e)y dowght(er) a goblet of Sylv(er) w(i)t(h) ye Cover a grete Sylver Spone

a ffethyrbedde iiij peyer of Shetys ij materasses a trannsam(e)* and

ij cov(er)lyghtes And I wull she have sufficient clothyng at m(e)y cost

whan ste she is cladde a Nunne. And whan ye same Anne is p(ro)fessed...

* trannsam(e) - This is in my view the most likely transcription but may not be correct.

If correct, it should mean something which crosses something else, presumably related to bed furnishing.

ADDED:

I can't find evidence of Dame Alice Toke.  Strict reading says the surname is Toke, but it's possible it could be Coke.

What a lovely list of goods! And since Anne became a nun, I guess that would explain why I have not seen her mentioned as married :)

I do find an Alice Cook on a list of nuns 42 years later, in the Letters and Papers, probably in connection with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, when it is my understanding that the nuns and friars were pensioned off.

Letters and Papers: Books of the Court of Augmentations, Pages 593-611
Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 14 Part 1, January-July 1539

Also Joan Stokwith, prioress (66s. 8d.) and Eliz. Thymbylby, Joan Wright, Joan Berde, Marg. Thymbelby, Alice Coke, Alice Bowarde, Anne Elwarde, and Eliz. Wright, nuns. 12 Dec.
https://www.british-history.ac.uk/letters-papers-hen8/vol14/no1/pp593-611

Snippet #13:

ADDED:

For what it's worth, I agree, having lived in Bruisyard.  Pronounced 'Brooz-yard'.

Carol

Thank you so much, Carol!

According to the Wikipedia entry for Bruisyard Abbey, The house was suppressed on 17 February 1539. That corresponds rather well with the list of nuns on the date above.

Bruisyard Abbey
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruisyard_Abbey

Is it possible elyse could be olyve?

Not really, no.

That is so strange! The Visitations of Norfolk were very clear on her name being Olyve or Olive ... However, if Roger Aylmer were indeed the Aylmer married to Elizabeth de Wood, a daughter named Elyse would make sense ...

I had been wondering why they did not have a daughter named Elizabeth.

According the Visitations of Norfolk Elyse/Olyve Aylmer and Thomas Brampton had three children, a son - the above-mentioned John, and two daughters, Elizabeth and Ann ...

Thank you so much, HD! How intriguing all of this is! :) :D :)

I wonder what in the world a trannsam(e)* is :)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 07 October 18 18:13 BST (UK) »
I do find an Alice Cook on a list of nuns 42 years later, in the Letters and Papers, probably in connection with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, when it is my understanding that the nuns and friars were pensioned off.

Letters and Papers, Foreign and Domestic, Henry VIII, Volume 14 Part 1, January-July 1539

Also Joan Stokwith, prioress (66s. 8d.) and Eliz. Thymbylby, Joan Wright, Joan Berde, Marg. Thymbelby, Alice Coke, Alice Bowarde, Anne Elwarde, and Eliz. Wright, nuns. 12 Dec.

Willow, those names refer to the Gilbertine Order at the Priory of North Ormsby in Lincolnshire.

See here:   https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lincs/vol2/pp195-196

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:04 BST (UK) »
That is so strange! The Visitations of Norfolk were very clear on her name being Olyve or Olive ...

Visitations can’t always be relied on. You have already suggested (in your reply #26 above, quoted below) that the Brampton pedigrees are inconsistent there with regard to the name of Olyve Aylmer’s father ...

Allow me to direct your attention to the following entry in the Visitations of Norfolk:

Olyve Aylmer, daughter of Roger Aylmer, married to Thomas Brampton of Brampton (d.1505). Children: Elizabeth, John, Anne
https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/46/search/Aylmer

Olive Aylmer, daughter of Richard Aylmer of Tatenton in Suffolk (same Olive, different first name of father given)
https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/50/search/Aylmer

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:14 BST (UK) »

Willow, those names refer to the Gilbertine Order at the Priory of North Ormsby in Lincolnshire.

See here:   https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lincs/vol2/pp195-196

Probably not her, then.

Back to the drawing table.

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 07 October 18 20:43 BST (UK) »
That is so strange! The Visitations of Norfolk were very clear on her name being Olyve or Olive ...

Visitations can’t always be relied on. You have already suggested (in your reply #26 above, quoted below) that the Brampton pedigrees are inconsistent there with regard to the name of Olyve Aylmer’s father ...

Allow me to direct your attention to the following entry in the Visitations of Norfolk:

Olyve Aylmer, daughter of Roger Aylmer, married to Thomas Brampton of Brampton (d.1505). Children: Elizabeth, John, Anne
https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/46/search/Aylmer

Olive Aylmer, daughter of Richard Aylmer of Tatenton in Suffolk (same Olive, different first name of father given)
https://archive.org/stream/visitacionievisi32ryew#page/50/search/Aylmer

This is of course very true. Still! Olyve and Elyse! Those are like ... two completely different names! :)

(Unlike Roger and Robert, I guess. *g* Still, I can sort of see how that error came about ... It would be very easy interpret Ro[something unintelligible] as Robert, especially as Robert is by far the more common name ... Certainly it was by the time the visitations were published.)

But Olyve and Elyse! I am judging the people responsible for that error so hard right now *g*

I can, however, not shake my ironclad belief that this is the same woman, the details fit too perfectly, and that somehow her name was muddled to Olive in the visitations ... (And her father's name muddled as well.)

I did react a bit at first at the name Olive, it seemed a bit 'modern' for the times ... More 1880's than a girl born in the 1400's.

According to the Wikipedia entry for Olivia:
Olivia is a feminine given name in the English language. It is derived from Latin oliva "olive". The name was first popularised by William Shakespeare's character in the Twelfth Night, but in fact the name occurs in England as early as the thirteenth century.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_(name)

I couldn't even find one for Olive.

But, then again, Elyse is not exactly typical for the times, either ...

Sometimes I really would have loved it if we had video footage of how these errors occurred :)